PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Living in Hong Kong

justin_case
6th Dec 2007, 13:33
I am a Canadian with a wife and three kids that are school age. Just wondering if it is possible to survive on a second officer's wage in HK, with a family? I am having a hard time finding the cost of living in Hong Kong that would compare to a Canadian city.

Thanks

Justin

Three Bear
6th Dec 2007, 14:30
Mate I would go as far as saying that you don't have a chance of surviving in Hong Kong on an S/O's wage with three kids. This is not a serious option for you and I would seriously look at alternatives. Firstly you will not be able to get your kids into anything other than international schools as the esf system is full. Cathay will only cover 75% of tuition for international schools and not cover debentures which will set you back $60000 per child if available and if not then a capital levy which is non refundable of a minimum of $10000 per child per year. With fees running at $85000 per year per child this will equate to approx $20000 per child per year plus the capital levy which means you are out of pocket $30000 per child for the year. This equates to your first 3 months of your wages gone as an S/O. Cost of living for essentials will be approx $15000 per month and this is not for an excessive lifestyle. Unless your wife can work and make a Captains wage the math simply does not add up. Long and short of it. Go elsewhere. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Cheers.

hongkongfooey
6th Dec 2007, 23:44
Hey Justin, whats sort of coin will you be on ??
We have an FO with wife and 3 kids, and he earns absolute crap money, about 40000HKD wage and 5000HKD housing, NO schooling assistance whatsoever. I believe his wife works part time.
I dont think they are having Moet with dinner each night ( like our richer KA/CX bretheren ;) ) but they get by.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the CX SO package is streets ahead of the above ?
Apart from housing ( and schooling ) the cost of living is not bad, we save a fortune by not having 2 cars like back home, and most things ie phone, cable tv, groceries, going out for dinner are cheaper than back home ( oz )
Cheers

Millstream
8th Dec 2007, 22:13
The ones who have been lucky in property market will be doing OK. The rest are just 'getting by' as hkgfooey puts it. That goes for every airline in HKG.

When did expat packages become 'just getting by' packages.

The airlines here are in for a big wake up call.

Milly

justin_case
9th Dec 2007, 04:15
Thanks for the replies guys,

I was offered an initial SO interview with Cathay, but am looking to do research before accepting.

thanks

Justin

jer1981
12th Dec 2007, 21:35
I have been invited for an interview also. I am wondering how that works with the housing. Do they provide you a list of places or you have to look on your own ? Is it easy to find a 24000 HKD rent ? I am currently doing a research on google... so far it looks way too much expensive !

Would appreciate to have someone's opinion on their first days in Hong Kong.