PDA

View Full Version : Are Jetstar still charging??

The Hill
6th Dec 2007, 01:02
In the current climate, are jetstar still charging for endos?

The Hill
8th Dec 2007, 17:40
anyone....?

OhSpareMe
8th Dec 2007, 19:48
They certainly are. And so are Virgin Blue. And I guess Tiger is as well.

And I can't imagine any of them dropping the endorsement fee, despite the so-called 'climate.'

The Hill
8th Dec 2007, 19:55
damn! ok. i thought vb stoped it for a "training wage" ???

Howard Hughes
8th Dec 2007, 21:51
I understand VB have 'salary sacrifice' + a 'training wage'. ie: YOU PAY TWICE!!:hmm:

G Cantstandya
8th Dec 2007, 22:28
JQ, salary sacrifice and full pay from finishing your endo!!

Roger Copy Ta
8th Dec 2007, 22:53
I wouldn't exactly call it 'full pay' as it is 20% less than everyone else.

The Hill
8th Dec 2007, 23:24
guess ill hold the CV off for a little while longer.

Mstr Caution
8th Dec 2007, 23:45
The Hill

Apply elsewhere

turbantime
9th Dec 2007, 00:59
I understand VB have 'salary sacrifice' + a 'training wage'. ie: YOU PAY TWICE!!

Not true Howard. You are paid a full salary from the day you start your induction (induction occurs after endorsement is complete). If you have taken the salary sacrifice option, then the endorsement cost is taken out from gross pay over a 12 month period.

So no training wages in effect because one way or another you are paying for your endorsement.

Howard Hughes
9th Dec 2007, 01:07
Thanks for clearing that up!:ok:

Aerodynamisist
9th Dec 2007, 01:27
Hong Kong is looking better all the time.

lesgo
9th Dec 2007, 02:03
So go to HK Aero along with any one else who wishes to be righteous....
Nothing, nor no one, stopping you here.... We do live in a democratic country last time i checked.
My choice, however, is to stay. I can live in the same city as the rest of my family and friends, see them whenever I choose, not live too crowded, happy with the pay, awesome climate and I even get to watch my kids grow up in a stable environment. Having to salary sacrifice 30k? I consider that Priceless...
I've done my hard years in aviation, lived in the foriegn countries, lived in desolate areas in extreme temps and away from my loved ones for years on end, and now I just want to settle down and let the hard yards pay off.
If I am willing to pay for that, then no one will make me throw my opportunity away. As good as the industry is right now, just remember, it only takes a couple of crazy arabs to bring it all back down in the blink of an eye. I say jump at the chance while we have it....
My two cents (or 30k's) worth!!!!:E

Enema Bandit's Dad
9th Dec 2007, 02:21
Me me me. Bugger everybody else. As long as I'm alright. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

iceblock
9th Dec 2007, 02:48
So if you salary sacrifice, what do you really pay?

A check on a website with a salary sacrifice calculator:

A320 Endo for about $33K?

Gross salary 85K?

Over 3 years it seems to come out at about 20K all up. Or $6500 per year out of your pay.

You save a bit of tax to offset the cost.

Anyone able to verify this, or correct it?

Zhaadum
9th Dec 2007, 04:21
Me me me. Bugger everybody else. As long as I'm alright.

Absafrigginlutely. I don't know ANYONE who would sacrifice their own or their familys' lifestyle for the good of the rest of the aviation community.

If you won't look out for yourself no one else will.

However, engaging in unscrupulous or unethical practices to get what you want at the expense of your colleagues is a definate no no. This industry is too small to do that. Karma will catch those people in the end.

turbantime
9th Dec 2007, 07:04
Iceblock,

Yes, the approximate figures you have worked out are correct.

If you paid upfront or did the salary sacrifice thing you would still end up with the same "cash in hand" so to speak. This is because you would be eligible for a tax refund after paying for your endo up front.

HOWEVER, the salary sacrifice option definitely takes the pain out of it as you don't have to consult accountants, fill out paperwork or even respond to a challenge from the ATO. And of course there's the whole trick of when/how to pay and do the endo to make it a tax deduction.

G Cantstandya
9th Dec 2007, 07:18
Back seat getting you down Rog???

Don't worry you'll have a window seat around 2020...not that far away really!!

Jetfume
9th Dec 2007, 07:25
lesgo,

Hat of to you mate.:ok::ok:

ANYBODY out there who is considering paying for your endo DO IT . The reward is far greater than the outlay . Gotta laugh at the wanK&^%rs that write stuff like

Me me me. Bugger everybody else. As long as I'm alright. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

Who else do you need to look after ? Fcuk you and the donkey you rode in on . Those who CAN'T afford it will always get on PPrune and winge and tell us all we are this and that and that it will bite us in the end . NEVER has anyone said anything in my workplace regarding this issue . DON'T be guilted out of progressing and looking after number one by :mad::mad: .Who else is going to look after number one ?

My wage has increased , my family lifestyle has increased so much my children are in great schools . The price of the Endo was covered with in the first few mths over and above what i would have paid staying where i was ..

GUYS IF YOU HAVE A DREAM THEN GO FOR IT . DON'T LISTEN TO THE BULL**** BY PEOPLE THAT REFUSE TO PAY . IT WILL BE THE GREATEST INVESTMENT YOU WILL EVER MAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch the **** that comes my way from this post and you will see the amount of dreamers in aviation . Wait for the daddy's money comments etc etc you can fly 1950's ACFT or state of the art ACFT with better pay , decent travel destinations , job security etc etc

Aviation has two types . Those who go get it and those who refuse and winge on Pprune and sacrifice progression for the sake of someone else . Silly :ok:

LET the stupid comments begin!!!!!!!

Cap'n Arrr
9th Dec 2007, 07:29
mind you, I hate being on a jetstar plane as a passenger, and if the passenger comes first then it truly frightens me to consider how their employees are treated

G Cantstandya
9th Dec 2007, 08:02
Captarr,
why do you hate being on a JQ plane????

if you are a qf pilot you don't need to answer.....

Roger Copy Ta
9th Dec 2007, 09:19
Back seat getting you down Rog???

Don't worry you'll have a window seat around 2020...not that far away really!!

Sorry... was that aimed at me GC?

puma4319
9th Dec 2007, 10:47
You know management have won when they have pilots telling other pilots we should be paying for the privilege to work for them :ugh:

Enema Bandit's Dad
9th Dec 2007, 11:16
Jetfume and others that support paying for endorsements, please answer this question. If companies like Jetstar, Virgin and Eastern are making millions of dollars in profit, why should employee's have to pay for the privilige of working for them? I await your response. :hmm:

permFO
9th Dec 2007, 11:47
EBD- The answer is simple- if you don't want to be an employee of those companies then you don't have to pay. Apply for a company that doesn't charge you for the endorsement. I'm sure that the "don't pay for the endorsement" group also don't pay stamp duty on a house purchase because its unfair and governments get enough money, they will just continue to rent to take a stand. Or they probably take the pragmatic view like most of us that its just the cost of the contract and at the end of the day it provides us with something that we think will provide some benefit, be it monetry gain or lifestyle.

Enema Bandit's Dad
9th Dec 2007, 11:58
Is it any wonder that with attitudes like that, employer's are able to screw conditions? :yuk::=

Mr. Boeing
9th Dec 2007, 12:24
In the meantime, the bosses bonus's keep increasing.....

Jetfume
9th Dec 2007, 12:27
Lando4x,

Don't work for J* ( please)

And I say that people who go online and condone it are most probably the selfish, queue jumping s***s trying to justify their own greed.

I have done it so there are no gripes from me im just saying that if your thinking of doing it then do it. And as Perm F/O said if you don't want to work for a company asking you to pay for an Endo then move on go and work for someone who does not. Life is about choices . Nobody yet as said anything about paying for your FIR or MECIR both of these make you employable how does it differ from a type rating ?????
Is it any wonder that with attitudes like that, employer's are able to screw conditions? :yuk::= Today 22:47

Are they or is more that the conditions are not suited to you ? maybe you should seek a job where the conditions are suited more to your liking . life is about choices.

EBD i think your question has been answered .

And I say that people who go online and condone it are most probably the selfish, queue jumping s***s trying to justify their own greed.

HA HA HA yeah mate my kids uni fees , My new pool and my soon to be paid off morgage ALL JUSTIFIED think about what your saying:ugh:

ALL BECAUSE I PAID FOR MY ENDO AND MADE MYSELF MORE EMPLOYABLE AND WILL SPEND MORE YEARS BEING PAID MORE DOLLARS .....JUSTIFIED

Im Greedy because i encourage people who are thinking of doing it to actually do it .. No im saying that times are not going to change with regards to Type ratings it is to larger risk to the company if you fail your check to line . And with the quality of training these days then ic an't say i blame them. Companies are about making money aand there are enough people paying for endos in the past , presant and future . Deal with it . You made your choice don't shape the indusrty to suit your moral belives at the end of the day anybody seeking a path to your ultimate job be prepaired to pay for it.

Jetfume
9th Dec 2007, 12:34
Yes Mr Boeing and you have gone from 40k to 90 k on a big shinny jet which is a far cry from anything in GA . :ok:

In the meantime, the bosses bonus's keep increasing.....

Another stupid comment proudly brought to you by Pprune.

Roger Scramjet
9th Dec 2007, 13:33
Both good arguments. As my time approaches to look at the step from GA to up and beyond, it is hard to know what to do.

a)Sell the house/refinance and pay for the endo. (BTW what happens if you fail - are you down 30g's?:eek:)

b)Apply for other bonded positions?

I know plenty of guys jumping at prevoiusly unheard of opportunities. Most are either paying for the jet job, or copping a bond on a turboprop.

I understand there is a shortage of Doctors at present but I can't imagine anyone giving out free medicine degrees anytime soon. Is paying to be trained to operate an aircraft any different?

aulglarse
9th Dec 2007, 13:59
landof4x, don't QF and VB bond you for 2 or 3 years if you decide to leave early? At JQ this guy has bought the endorsement and can get the hours up very quickly hence be more marketable for potential earnings growth to enhance his and his family's lifestyle earning 8 times more in a just a few years! Kids at uni..hmmm job in Spain for a few years sounds good to me and the missus earning very good rates..so it goes on.

Meanwhile 2 years later the chieftain driver waits in hope to gain a job somewhere to save 30k while on 37k?

I don't agree on paying for endorsements for anyone like yourself but you are happy where you are and will stay there because of principal? What about your mates who may have moved on and joined JQ or VB?

I am happy to see my mates in their mid-late 40's and 50's having an opportunity to convert their hard yards into positive results. I don't miss flying 5-6 sector days dodging all sorts of weather in an non-autopilot turboprop.

If you think pilots are greedy then try working in the highly-strung financial sector. Some of these pricks would sell your mother and still earn 300k+!

If you were approached a few years ago about becoming an A320 Captain within 2 years earning up to 180K for a cost of 30k would you say no? Perhaps you are young and have time.Well, that's your choice....

Defenestrator
9th Dec 2007, 14:16
Rojer Scramjet,

Failing the type rating is not an option. Putting a noose around your neck for 30 large brings out the best in you...really.

D

iceblock
9th Dec 2007, 17:26
So we have already established with a few "techniques" the endo is closer to 20k not 30k.

The bloke working in GA also has the option of applying to a company that allows salary sacrifice. No money required upfront. No need to remortgage house etc....

Seems to be about $250 per fortnightly pay to pay it back. Never paid for it myself but the GA guy can easily cover it by realising a higher salary to offset the cost.

So the arguement that the poor guy in GA can't afford it and has no "options" is not quite true....

The Hill
9th Dec 2007, 18:39
This "paying for a rating" is a personal decision. I wont slag off anyone who does it. But, from where I stand, I will never pay for a type rating, am happy to be bonded though, pilot get what he whats, employer gets what they want (return of service). Surely that would solve some problems!?!? or am i just dreamin..........

Condition lever
9th Dec 2007, 20:27
And the QF "training wage" and reduced pay for the first 18 months isn't the same as paying for an endorsement?
You guys are truely myopic.

Jetfume
9th Dec 2007, 22:51
landof4x,

Im not trying to rub salt in the wounds of blokes who for what ever reason can't afford it .

Cap'n Arrr
10th Dec 2007, 00:06
G Cantstandya, nope def not a qf driver. The opportunity arose to have a stab at JQ customer service, and I went for it:E

n.b. if JQ offered id probably take it.

Enema Bandit's Dad
10th Dec 2007, 10:02
I'm a bit mystified as to how you can pay for the kids uni, a new pool, pay your mortgage off and pay for an A320 endorsement on Jetstar wages? :uhoh:

Jetfume
10th Dec 2007, 23:01
EBD because if you read my previous post then you would not have just wasted minutes of your life writting another silly post .
I don't work for Jetstar :ugh::ugh:

Also i started my Airline career some time ago and have now been in a LHS for a around 3mths . My morgage was 3/4 paid for already and with my partners wage a new pool and uni fees are not that difficult.

New pool 34k ( which has increases the value of my property)
Uni fees 40k (with intrest over the next 12 years will be more than enough.)
Morgage was 40k owing at time i joined the majors

114K over 3 years with total income aprox 250-endo(16 k with tax back)234(me) + 270(missus) for both equals 504k - 114k you do maths EBD . Oh and lets say i did not have a missus then it could still be done as 234k minus say 120 will still be 114 k over three years which is 38k a year . This was a GA wage.. So i have paid my morgage put in a pool which added to the value of that property and have managed to invest 40k with around 8.75% per annum . All because i paid for my endo .

Maybe your problem will be the math test at the interview rather than the paying for the endo.

Wages after tax are avergae around 83k a year for me and the missus a little more .