PDA

View Full Version : Passport Release GF

Mumbai
5th Dec 2007, 14:11
Rumours have it GULF air not releasing passports of pilots unless they sign that GF does not own them money.
If this is true GF should know better .Any signature under haress is not legal by law.
Also against human rights that GF holds passports unles there is any criminal act from the person.
Is this true??

Togalk
5th Dec 2007, 15:35
My guess would be, NO it is not true. Crew need their passports everytime they go to work.

tbaylx
5th Dec 2007, 15:45
I think he meant for pilots that are leaving the company as GF wants you to turn your passport in to have the visa cancelled before you go.

I can confirm that they have caused some issues with attempting to hold pilots passports. They have been resolved relatively quickly with a call to your embassy, however it shouldn't be happening at all. Not everyone has had that issue, just those that have a disagreement with GF over bonds or pay owing.

Che Guevara
5th Dec 2007, 17:39
Classic Middle East BS.....your passport is the property of your country's government, be it the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or their equivalent. For years it has been a practice in the Gulf for employers (sponsors) to 'hold on' to their foreign employees passports under the guise of safekeeping or some other pathetic excuse in order to control the movements and whereabouts of their employees (read slaves). Obviously it is difficult to hang on to Pilot's passports, however many other people have had to put up this nonsense.

I believe if you break a law then the relevant and bonafide authority (police, the courts or immigration) are allowed to hold your passport if there is a travel ban issued etc. It seems that many countries accept this, however the practice of an employer or anybody else withholding your passport is in clear contravention of the laws of the issueing state and standard international diplomatic protocol. Yes, a call to your embassy will usually sort this out....of course it all depends on where you are from I suppose.

Well amigos, that's my interpretation after several years of observing this type of BS. Can GF hold your passport? Probably not under local law and definately not under international charter etc., however this has never stopped them trying until an embassy gets involved usually.
(should have finished my law degree and stayed home!!)

Ciao

Spirit
5th Dec 2007, 20:13
I've heard of guys, who simply took a lawyer, who then cancelled the visa.

Why mix GF into something, they actually should keep their noses out of, and thereby create a lot of trouble for yourself?

Trader
6th Dec 2007, 03:02
Two friend who left for Etihad had their passorts held. It took a visit from the thehn VP HR to get the passport office to release them.

So, again and unfortunately, the moral of the story here is that GF will ignore you to the point were you will have to refuse to hand in your passport and simply go your way. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done or have your case/opinion heard because what happens is, in the end, no one at GF can take responsibility for making a decision. Many would like to but simply do not have the authority. Many in Flt Ops are incredibily helpful and understanding but the machinery of HR and the rest of GF makes it impossible.

Trader
6th Dec 2007, 03:05
Two friend who left for Etihad had their passorts held. It took a visit from the thehn VP HR to get the passport office to release them.
So, again and unfortunately, the moral of the story here is that GF will ignore you to the point were you will have to refuse to hand in your passport and simply go your way. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done or have your case/opinion heard because what happens is, in the end, no one at GF can take responsibility for making a decision. Many would like to but simply do not have the authority. Many in Flt Ops are incredibily helpful and understanding but the machinery of HR and the rest of GF makes it impossible.

bus787
6th Dec 2007, 13:58
It is true unless o sign the paper that GF does not owe you anything .your passport is held.
Due to the new loyalty salary whch is calculated on staying in GF six months after the payrise GF is deducting money from those leaving .
Pilots with two decades of service are now classified as not loyal to GF .
these where the people who gave money to Gf when there was none.The same people who where never given the 3% although t was contractual.
these people still stayed and helped GF .
Now that GF gave something all are told sorry no loaylty.
WHY Six months?? It is calculated on the tem of a CEO in GF.
How Low Can we go???
My turn soon we will see .

bus787
12th Dec 2007, 01:41
MUmbai I confrim your post.
ALL money due from new package removed from your final settlement.,
Pay back all the allowances sept oct nov dec.These where actually flown and worked so it is inb fact illegal under proper laws.
Whatever your past in GF you are treated as a traitor for leaving when the ship is sinking.
Thanks GF I am more than happy to donate the last four months of my work as Charity to you.
I can asure you it will not make any difference on your Profit and Loss accounts and it was actually money stolen.
HOW LOW CAN WE GO