PDA

View Full Version : Help to find a UK Broadband + VOI

shack
5th Dec 2007, 14:08
I am looking for an ISP for friends in the UK that will give them what "Free" give me here in France, ie a solid 2.5Mb, and free telephone calls Nationally and to 30 overseas countries at any time using VOI. I have found that because BT will not update their exchange for 4+ years the 2MB is not possible and it seems that there is a lack of ISPs that provide a VOI box, of the four that I found Orange's deal looks best BUT there are some nasty comments about Orange around.

Any suggestions please

HuntandFish
5th Dec 2007, 14:23
Tho Orange deal is OK BUT who gets 2.5M in the UK !

airborne_artist
5th Dec 2007, 14:55
If BT won't upgrade the exchange, then all other providers will be in the same boat, as they will only be re-selling the BT connection.

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2007, 17:02
I would guess that the only consistently high data rates in the UK will be either via Business ADSL products or cable.

The former due to the lower contention and the latter because of both a more robust infrastructure - no comparable problem to the distance from exchange with ADSL - and lower contention in most areas.

This is a general observation, not a recommendation, however - particularly as (unfortunately), there is only one cable supplier in the UK, and the customer service is poor.

SD

OzPax1
5th Dec 2007, 19:11
Check to see if they can get BE https://www.bethere.co.uk/ as they offer 'up to' 24 meg down and 2.5meg up, which is more then enough for voip. However they are not in all exchanges yet.

airborne_artist
5th Dec 2007, 21:14
My 8Mb ADSL from BT rarely gives me more than 350Kb upstream, so it won't support more than 3 VoIP calls at once. AFAIK there are no UK broadband providers offering free international VoIP.

BT offer Broadband Talk, which includes a free geographic number, and cheap intl calls. You could just DIY it, using Vonage, SIPgate etc, but it won't be free.

crewmeal
6th Dec 2007, 04:53
It's all very well looking at these cheap prices for some broadband Companies but generally people forget that they have to rent a line from BT on top of the broadband supplier and that usually adds £10 - £15 to the bill making it really expensive to run. Also there is the usual minimum contract time of 12 - 18 months as well. It's getting like mobile phone contracts these days!!

Wodrick
6th Dec 2007, 07:01
As an existing Pipex "Homecall" customer, but nothing else, I have just been offered 'free' broadband (up to 8) no download limits, free modem, free connection etc. all for just LINE RENTAL £10.99. I have yet to enjoy the phone call but I didn't think that anybody could do this and that the line remained the property of BT with their rental consequently due. Anybody know different ?

shack
6th Dec 2007, 07:05
Thanks for your replies it really looks as if poor old UK is sucking the hind t*t again.

Anybody had real nasties with Orange?

Blacksheep
6th Dec 2007, 07:13
Thanks for your replies it really looks as if poor old UK is sucking the hind t*t again.Nope. That would be Brunei. The definition of "Broadband" here is 250KB and costs 30 quid a month. The domestic phone lines are all copper analogue. :rolleyes: