PDA

View Full Version : PC runs out of system resources

aiman
5th Dec 2007, 12:26
Any idea why if I leave my PC on, with no programs apparently running, then after an hour of so I get messages such as "unable to perform action due to lack of system resources". Then I have to pull the plug to reboot and off we go again till the next time.

Jhieminga
5th Dec 2007, 12:59
I guess the clue is in 'apparently running'. Sounds like there may be a few things running in the background that you may not be aware of. Check the startup folder and the processes tab in the task manager for suspicious items first. A good scan for viruses and spyware might also be a good start.

Saab Dastard
5th Dec 2007, 13:21
I associate this error message far more with 16-bit Windows OS, e.g. Win 9x, WinME than with 32-bit Windows.

What OS have you got?

SD

aiman
5th Dec 2007, 13:32
I'm using XP home as an OS

Spruit
5th Dec 2007, 13:37
Bring up "Task Manager" and look which process is utilising the most memory/resources.

Then post the offending items name here!

Spru!

aiman
5th Dec 2007, 14:01
Spruit
Can you send me your personal address so that I can send the list as a copy/paste of a long list doesn't work

simountain1
20th Dec 2007, 00:11
first things first goto start - run and type in msconfig
click the start up tab
there will then be a list of programs which are starting up when you boot up your PC. The only programs you need to run on start up are your firewall and your anti virus software.
Untick anything here which looks suspicious. click apply then restart you should notice a difference