PDA

View Full Version : Want to hire plane for long trip

hoopdreams
5th Dec 2007, 09:29
Hi there,

I've just got my PPL and I want to hire a plane to fly around Australia to build my command hours for CPL. I'm not too sure where to find a plane at a decent hourly rate? WHat price could one expect to get a 4 seater for? Does anyone know of any places which hour out planes for a period of say three weeks? I assume flying schools wouldn't hire planes out for that long as they need them for training purposes. If anyone has any contacts for airplane hire it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jamair
5th Dec 2007, 10:48
Wanna narrow the field a bit there son.....maybe nominate a State or a city? :confused: I kin put you into a decent C182 or Archer out of TWB at the right price.......:ok:

flog
5th Dec 2007, 11:03
Get yourself a CSU and Retract and most schools will let you take an Arrow or 182 on a long trip as you'll be providing a better utilisation on the plane.

VH-BCY
5th Dec 2007, 23:03
G'Day
I have an early model C210 that you can have if you can look after it properly.:ok:

turnerab
6th Dec 2007, 01:40
Yeah most schools will let you take an aircraft away if you put a decent number of hours on it, my school based as YSBK had no prob with it. Did some time in the C210 mentioned above aswell, it is an early model, but it does 150 TAS and flys very nicley - it would be a good option to get some cessna 200 series time under your belt before the job hunt. Also may I suggest reading up on engine managment of the IO 520 engine as its a big deal with many operators and it will be a good first impression if you know it.
PM if you want some more info.
ps. resist the urge to use the GPS on those long nav's. Take one by all means and use it to confirm your position from time to time, but dont rely on it. Those DR skills will come in very handy when your buzzing around the remote north and the GPS goes tits-up, or you've got to turn it off due alternator failure.

hoopdreams
6th Dec 2007, 03:03
Gday,

I'm willing to go to the location to pick the aircraft up. I live in Canberra so driving to Melbourne or Syndey isn't too much of a problem if the deal is good enough. I'm looking for an hourly rate of about $150 including fuel, and will do about 50 to 70 hours in the space of a month. I'm not sure whether one is willing to hire out a retract/csu single for that rate, but I'm willing to take something like a 172 or a Cherokee. I'm planning on doing this trip in March. Hope this narrows it down.

Cheers

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Dec 2007, 03:12
"I'm looking for an hourly rate of about $150 including fuel .... Hope this narrows it down"

I suspect it will have that effect!

Dr :8

hoopdreams
6th Dec 2007, 03:15
Gday,

I live in Canberra so I would be willing to drive out to the location to pick the aircraft up. I'm looking for an hourly rate of about $150 an hour including fuel. I'm guessing $150 an hour wouldn't be getting me a CSU/retract, but I'm willing to go for a 172 or a cherokee, because at the end of the day it's the command hours that count. I plan start the trip in March and fly 70 hours in the space of three to four weeks,

I kin put you into a decent C182 or Archer out of TWB at the right price

Sounds interesting do you have further information?

G'Day
I have an early model C210 that you can have if you can look after it properly.

Sounds interesting, what sort of hourly rate would I be looking at if you don't mind me asking?

ps. resist the urge to use the GPS on those long nav's. Take one by all means and use it to confirm your position from time to time, but dont rely on it. Those DR skills will come in very handy when your buzzing around the remote north and the GPS goes tits-up, or you've got to turn it off due alternator failure.

Thats the plan

Thanks for advice

Jetfume
6th Dec 2007, 05:43
Hi guys,

I too am looking for an ACFT to do a few hours in though im after a light twin( Part-bananna or a duchy). Looking at 50-60 though could extend to 70 . Wanting something fresh out of 100hrly as tripping around Aus .

cheers guys

ABX
6th Dec 2007, 09:23
Fellas (presuming you're fellas:eek:),

Try clicking here (http://www.aircentre.com/), well maintained aircraft, very good rates - the owners would rather see them flying than gathering dust and hanger rash!

Cheers,

Jetfume
6th Dec 2007, 09:26
Thankyou very much ABX .

:ok:

Howard Hughes
6th Dec 2007, 09:34
Those DR skills will come in very handy when your buzzing around the remote north and the GPS goes tits-up
If you have one in the first place...:rolleyes:

More like when you are flying an aircraft with no usable navaids and no GPS, your DR skills will come in handy!:ok:

ABX
6th Dec 2007, 09:34
Cheers Jetfume, no worries.

Ps. I have no financial connection to them, just a good bunch of local blokes.:ok:

VH-BCY
6th Dec 2007, 09:49
C210A; 4 seats, 150KTAS, 50litres/hour = $220/hour wet for a min of 10 hours.:ok:

Launchpad McQuack
6th Dec 2007, 11:36
C210A; 4 seats, 150KTAS, 50litres/hour = $220/hour wet for a min of 10 hours

That sounds pretty damn reasonable to me...you'd be foolish to turn down a 210 for that money. Potential employers (and their insurance under-writers) will cream themselves when they see that you have plenty of 210 time under your belt when you look for that first gig.

LP :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Dec 2007, 12:18
I think you will find that for that money ..... you get VH-BCY along for the ride as well.

So who is really PIC?

Who gets to play with the controls if the fan stops?

Not you, I'll bet!

Dr :8

PS: Beware the stranger bearing gifts!

Thinkbig
7th Dec 2007, 00:38
HD,

Check your email. I might be able to help.:ok:

Cheers, TB

corowacomet
7th Dec 2007, 09:34
FTDK: "....So who is really PIC?
Who gets to play with the controls if the fan stops?..."
Funny you should mention that Doctor. This situation has actually occured, albeit close to a strip and VH-BCY didn't do a thing. In fact I'm told total disbelief and inaction would be the best way to describe it.
He still has strong opinions on the quality (or lack thereof) of low time CPL pilots and their training though despite his obvious shortcomings.
Stand by for his defence......I'm just trying to help people out.......My intentions are pure.......Its a great aeroplane....I don't make any money out of it.......I'll teach you how to fly properly........etc, etc, etc.
Hi Bernie:E.
The Comet.

Jamair
7th Dec 2007, 10:27
HOOPDREAM and JETFUME - PM me, so I don't bust the forum rules on advertising. MIRAZ(?) check your PMs.

Capt Fathom
7th Dec 2007, 10:52
C210A

Is the undercarriage welded in the down position? :E

VH-BCY
7th Dec 2007, 21:07
COMET, yes some people do fly my 210 without me in it, in fact I'm actually letting her go to someone who wants to fly it around Oz in 2 weeks time. Capt Fathom, no the gear is not welded down. Thats why they call C210's a retractable, they go up and mostly down! :D