PDA

View Full Version : New SPIFR reqs for NZ

glekichi
5th Dec 2007, 02:22
Any thoughts on the new requirements for single pilot IFR or night VFR in NZ?

Its going to be interesting to see how the industry, with its current shortage, deals with finding pilots with 750tt, comp. checking them, then giving them 40hrs of IFR command practice or VFR air transport operations before finally being able to fly IFR operationally.
(I suppose a large VFR part to an operation would overcome this problem)

http://www.caa.govt.nz/rules/Amendments/Part_135_Amendment_17.pdf

ForkTailedDrKiller
5th Dec 2007, 03:30
I suspect it will be a challenge for some operators to comply with those requirements.

What brought that on? I assume there have been a few smacking in!

Dr :8

Aerodynamisist
5th Dec 2007, 03:48
I had a cursory read of the reg you posted and it does not seem to hard for an operator or pilot.

It's long been known that single pilot IFR is is one of the most demanding roles a pilot can fill, good operators already "icus up" there new pilots for a extended period before they send them loose on there own. This just looks like formalization of good industry practice. Pilot shortage or not it's the safe way to do it.

Some operators over here would want you to pay for your first 40 hours though which might make it hard for the young blokes.

muttly's pigeon
5th Dec 2007, 07:52
Agreed that despite the obvious problems for the GA companies it is a step in the right direction as far as saftey goes. I imagine we will just see a lot a new students sitting in the right seat of Islanders and trucks etc which is good. I remeber what I didnt know back then and didnt have anything along the lines of the experience required nowdays.