PDA

View Full Version : Tiltrotors and RNZAF

tartare
4th Dec 2007, 21:55
Right... shoot me down here for being a dreamer... Am I alone in thinking that tiltrotors might eventually be a good idea for the RNZAF?
I'm not talking the Osprey (far too pricey, VRS prone, no autorotation, too new)
But the smaller civil/military versions that will follow... about the size of an A109?
For SAR duties... no more fueling up civillian Squirrels to make dangerous ultra long range flights out of sight of land.
Hugely fast in terms of medivac.
And surely for operations off fridgates... a no-brainer.
I know... they've only just confirmed the NH90... they're looking at Squirrels to replace the Sioux... and the poor buggers can't even kill anyone anymore.
Just a thought...

Runaway Gun
4th Dec 2007, 22:09
Maybe in another 50 years, when the politicians start getting their priorities right. Hang on, did I only say FIFTY years?

komac2
4th Dec 2007, 23:02
they're looking at Squirrels to replace the Sioux

They have already confirmed the A-109E LUH as sioux replacement
30 October 2007

The Chief of Air Force, Air Vice-Marshal Graham Lintott has today welcomed a Government announcement that the Agusta 109 is the preferred helicopter to replace the Air Forces fleet of Sioux Helicopters.
“This is excellent news for the Air Force and those that depend on the helicopter support we provide,” says Air Vice-Marshal Lintott.
“The Agusta 109 is a modern and very capable training and light utility helicopter (T/LUH) with a growing international customer base and assured long-term support. It has been designed to meet current and future requirements and provides an excellent long-term investment”, he said.
The T/LUH will provide an effective platform to train aircrew in basic helicopter operations plus the advanced skills required to operate both the Navy SH-2G Seasprite and the highly capable RNZAF NH90 helicopter that will come into service in 2010.
The Ministry of Defence will now begin negotiations with Agusta-Westland for five aircraft and a simulator.
ENDS
For further information please contact Squadron Leader Glenn Davis, Air Force Public Relations, 04 496 0294 or 021 420 899

nex
4th Dec 2007, 23:06
tiltrotors might eventually be a good idea for the RNZAF?

...which is exactly why they will never get them.

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Dec 2007, 23:14
RNZAF ?

Is there such a thing these days?

Oh yeah - they carry stuff around, don't they!

Dr :8

If all else fails
4th Dec 2007, 23:15
Do you honestly think NZ can afford tilt rotor technology? Reagrdless, the size of hangar required to embark a tilt rotor on a frigate could mean some serious gas-axe work.

tartare
4th Dec 2007, 23:16
Exactly why I said the successors (or lower cost equivalents) to the V22.

http://www.bellagusta.com/air_ba_main.cfm

Smaller, lighter, faster than a Seapsrite and just over double the range.
I reckon a stripped down military BA609 would sell like hot cakes.
Errmm... and how simple would it be to make the blades fold for storage?:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
4th Dec 2007, 23:16
the poor buggers can't even kill anyone anymore.
That might not be an issue if they get the Ospreys.....:ooh:

tartare
5th Dec 2007, 01:37
Doesn't it just rip your shorts tho?
Top notch people, doing their best with hammered kit, expected to (theoretically) be put in harms way, and the poor :mad: have to struggle just to get a couple of frikkin new helicopters.
To see the way they chuck those 757's around at an airshow makes you realise how good they are.
Every time I see those parked up scooters at Woodbourne I feel furious.
And the Army meanwhile gets, what was it, 150 LAV's???!!!

VH-XXX
5th Dec 2007, 03:20
Yes Doctor, they carry crew to Avalon Airshow each second year in their ageing 727, do a beatup then head home after the 5 day pissup. Sometimes they also carry around the Prime Minister. Had a good mate who was very high up over there; he came over here for the majority of his carreer.

Buster Hyman
5th Dec 2007, 04:01
Hey XXX, ya gotta keep up mate!

They're flying 757's in Comrade Clarks Squadron these days!:ok:

komac2
5th Dec 2007, 05:53
add to that RE: BY 757 found this on the net:

I saw the same high speed routine at the last Avalon airshow in Australia. The Kiwi pilot punted the 757 round the strip, performing a great low level show. The high speed pass and pullup was finished off with a nice steep rudder turn Nearly put the F-111 demo to shame!!

XRNZAF
5th Dec 2007, 07:20
"Oh yeah - they carry stuff around, don't they!"

That may be the case, but we do a pretty stand-up job of it as long as our antique gear can keep running (if I do say so myself :E).... As an ex mover I promise you can ask 1 ATS RAAF, UKMAMS in the RAF to name but a couple of excellent air movements units I have worked alongside and they'll tell you, us kiwi's sure as hell pull our weight. :ok:

In case anyone is planning on it, feel free to make fun of our outdated kit. But question the skills, knowledge, ability, and work ethic of the airmen and airwomen of the RNZAF working on the ground and in the air at your peril. nuff said.

John Eacott
5th Dec 2007, 08:08
Smaller, lighter, faster than a Seapsrite and just over double the range.
I reckon a stripped down military BA609 would sell like hot cakes.
Errmm... and how simple would it be to make the blades fold for storage?

Errmm....Very :p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/V-22_Osprey_wing_rotated.jpg

Buster Hyman
5th Dec 2007, 13:18
:bored:...what could possibly go wrong?

In case anyone is planning on it, feel free to make fun of our outdated kit. But question the skills, knowledge, ability, and work ethic of the airmen and airwomen of the RNZAF working on the ground and in the air at your peril.
Aside from good natured banter, I don't think anyone would question the skills & dedication of the RNZAF. Don't forget, its only been in recent years (F18 aside) that the RAAF have had access to decent equipment too, & like the Kiwis, were damn good at what they could get out of those things!:ok:

tartare
5th Dec 2007, 23:48
XRNZAF... not making fun of the kit:)
I'd say many of the guys contributing here would stand right alongside you.
I'm no experienced military aviator, but have seen a little of the RNZAF.
I've flown on 03 with 40 Sdrn down to the ice, with 14 Sqdrn in the MB339, 3 Squadron in the Huey a coupla times, with 5 Sqdrn 2 yrs ago as pax on the flight deck.
Pulling a couple of G's in something as big as a P3 at low level over the Waitamata in a steep turn while trying not to puke one's pathetic civillian guts out makes you admire everyone else onboard who's just gettin on with the job.
In all cases, struck by the extraordinary professionalism and team spirit of a bunch of young guys and girls doing a risky and demanding job.
It's quite sobering when you look at that uniform and think of what it actually stands for.
Personally feel angry that a country that gets so much from its military aviators is so amateurish and naive when it comes to defence policy.
Sure, we're small and poor. But I think we could do quite a bit better for our air force, without breaking the bank.

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Dec 2007, 00:26
XRNZAF - my light hearted cheap shot was aimed at those responsible for the fact that "a country that gets so much from its military aviators is so amateurish and naive when it comes to defence policy", not at the defense force personnel.

I think that anyone who hangs out in here takes that as a given.

I lament the demise of NZ'z fighter squadron, and wonder what those guys would have done with F16s.

One of my great memories relates to some war games being played around Amberley back in the late 70's/early 80's. I think the senario was that bombing operations were taking place from Amberley and the base was being defended by a squadron of RAAF Mirages, while another group of RAAF Mirages and RNZAF Skyhawks were the "enemy", charged with penetrating the defences and belting the crap out of the base.

I happened to be working on a property in one of the valleys to the west of Amberley and the Great Dividing Range - just north of Cunninghams Gap. An RNZAF Skyhawk came up the valley from the west at tree-top level, flat chat. He came past me so low that I could clearly see the pilot. I imaged him popping up over the hills and being on top of the Amberley base before they knew what hit them. Great bit of flying.

I also have vivid memories from my time in NZ of the guy who had an engine failure in a Skyhawk out over Mt Ruapehu and successfully dead sticked it into Ohakea !!!!! Now that takes both skill and big b*lls.

Dr :8

tartare
6th Dec 2007, 01:05
Well... one things for sure.
There's still a lot of aeronautical ingenuity hidden away in this country.
If someone like Trevor Rogers can build a diesel powered military UAV helicopter out in Tamaki, then maybe there's still hope...
http://www.helicorp.co.nz/