PDA

View Full Version : Ordinary Degree in Manufacturing Engineering: Keep going?

nosefirsteverytime
4th Dec 2007, 17:34
OK, I've been in the Educational system (on-and-off) for 5 years, and this year I hope to get an Ordinary Degree in Manufacturing Engineering (3 year course). If I want to get the Honours in Aero while remaining in Ireland, that means an extra 3 years down in Limerick, living off my parents.

Fact is, the parents need me to earn for myself. Now. So I'm now wondering if I can pack in the education and join a manufacturer with an Ordinary Degree, or turn around and flip burgers for a few years before returning to do the Honours Degree, after which I would join.

A sorry state of affairs, my education. :(

planecrazy.eu
6th Dec 2007, 20:05
So how long have you been on the degree?

If its a year, or even months, then i would throw in the towl now and think long and hard about what you want, and what you want to do.

If you desire to be an aircraft engineer and want to go to uni, do a foundation degree for two years and then get a job and do the (Hons)Bsc part time over a few years.

A fair few places do this now, i know Bristol College and Kingston Uni do. They work close with BA and KLM and i think employment rates are good from what i can make out talking to lecturers.

I started a AeroMech Degree, i didnt really know what i wanted to do, so i swapped to MechEng and now have much broader options inc aerospace once i graduate.

whiskeyflyer
11th Dec 2007, 12:36
correct me if I am wrong
you did three years already and want to do another 3 (total 6) in uni
no wonder your parents want you out of their wallet

as an employer I would wonder about a student spending six years in uni (unless its germany where they don't seem to graduate until 30)
if you want to do aviation, keep the manufacturing degree (good to have, as it is broad and aviation industry is cyclical) and use the 3 years you have assigned to get your engineers licence, you will be much more employable than a person with two degrees (and also you'll earn some money while being an appi, ah the memories of cleaning A300 toilets and other fun appi jobs )

Degrees only get your foot in the door, hard work and practical experience (that includes being an appi) get you the money and more respect

c-bert
13th Dec 2007, 15:21
I agree with the other posters. Get into industry as soon as you can. I have an honours degree in Aero (albeit a 3rd [too much time down the pub!]) and when I left Uni it seemed to count for nothing. Every employer wanted (and still wants) someone with experience.

nosefirsteverytime
13th Dec 2007, 20:36
To clarify the college deal:
By rights, I should be doing two years for the Honours, but the "extra" year of the course in Limerick would be going back to second year to cover the basics of aerodynamics, the one subject that wouldn't be on my repartoire. What's still got me thinking of down there is that after a year of subjects I either don't need to repeat or already have a good grasp of, I'd have a 6 month work placement module to complete.

Methinks a trip to Farnborough will be in my future. I'm wondering about Canada as a place to spend a year (or more, if the job is worth it, in more than monetary terms.), however the UK may be a more realistic bet. Remeber it's manufacture, not maintenance, I want to get into. If I wanted maintenance, there's plenty of apprentice programs abound in Ireland these days.

After spending the day finishing lab reports (finding 2nd MoIs in T and C beams no less) I feel I have the aptitude to go on, and if I have to flip burgers (or, as I'm doing right now, screen baggage) to keep food and paper on the table, then f*ck it, I'll do it.

Still going to Farnborough this year.

lovezzin
13th Dec 2007, 22:32
Not to sound too harsh...but its gotta be said. an ORDINARY degree??? the 3rd class honours is better than that. and somoeone with a 3rd class honours doesnt have a hope in hell getting a job in aerospace with it!! I have several friends who got 2:2 (hons) in various Engineering degrees (aero, systems, mechanical..u name it!) who are REALLY struggling to get places...if u wanna work in maintainence, then scrap the whole degree thing alltogether...as you dont need it. get started on the B1/B2 thing with an HND.

smell the coffee