PDA

View Full Version : JAR engineer exams how different to pilot?

kpd
4th Dec 2007, 16:39
May I ask the engineers- how different are the JAR (soon to be EASA) exams to be an engineer different to the pilot ATPL ones??

PhilM
4th Dec 2007, 17:22
Not many engineers will know what ATPL exams are like to compare.

There are a few sites you can join such as Airmech and/or Club66pro that will give you an idea of the exam formats/question types.

The sylabus is also available here; http://www.part66.co.uk/content/public/elearning/default.asp

zooom
4th Dec 2007, 20:50
Can somebody tell me is it possible that CAA accept few ATPL exams to my JAR B1 licence?

I need to convert my mechanic licence to JAR B1 and need to pass 3 exam modules (5-Digital Techniques,9-Human factors,10-Aviation Legislation).
Since I'm aeronautical engineer and have ATPL theory is it possible that CAA accept my ATPL theory instead going to exam of mentioned 3 modules?

WOTME?
4th Dec 2007, 22:41
Pilot = Leave a problem
Eng = Solve that problem

kpd
4th Dec 2007, 23:14
Many Thanks for your comments and I now have a working definition of a pilot and engineer thanks to WOTME!! I thought some people may have done both courses as certainly some degrees seem to mix engineering with pilot studies. Perhaps they don't do the real work you do!! Will follow syllabus as per PhilM and thanks.

spannersatcx
5th Dec 2007, 07:15
Zoom, I would think (and hope) not. Go to the CAA website and it will tell you about exemptions there.

zooom
5th Dec 2007, 07:25
Ok maybe not ATPL exams but what about my degree. I'm asking you because I have looked into program of each of this three modules and have found out that same I have already passed when I was on college.

oligoe
5th Dec 2007, 08:16
Hello all,

I have both JAR 66 B1 B2 and a frozen ATPL.

I did my ATPL in France where it takes 12 month. Did my Jar 66 in Switzerland where you do your modules in about 3 months.

It is hard to compare but for the JAR 66 I passed the exams for each module at the end of the course. For the ATPL I took 7 exams after the first 5 months, then the rest.

I would say the ATPL seemed a bit harder for me. But It could be because I did it on distance learning.

On the ATPL you have less technical stuff, on the Jar 66 less aircraft operation stuff. One can t replace the other one.

I doubt any CAA will give credit to some Jar 66 modules based on a ATPL.

Regards,

og

spannersatcx
5th Dec 2007, 10:19
Zoom as I said the CAA website tells you about exemptions. If you can't find it here's the link (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20D_07.pdf) it states:

D6.3 Academic Qualifications Standard examination exemptions may apply to Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering degrees from a University located within the United Kingdom. In the cases above, in accordance with Part-66.A.25, Part-66.B.400 and Part-66.B.405, the
CAA will need to evaluate the course in order to confirm the exemption.
If a University located in another EU Member State awarded a degree, the applicant should apply to the competent authority of that State for recognition.
However it is recommended that the request for an evaluation of a course be made from the course
provider.

zooom
5th Dec 2007, 13:45
Thank You very much spannersatcx, you helped me a lot.

AVOdriver
5th Dec 2007, 18:50
Quote "I did my ATPL in France where it takes 12 month. Did my Jar 66 in Switzerland where you do your modules in about 3 months."

No disrespect to you personally Oligoe

I did my "avionics" licences under the old BCAR system and it took nearly four years. How do the Swiss manage a full B1 and B2 in three months?

Maybe Im a slow reader!!

WOTME?
5th Dec 2007, 22:40
I did 2 of the 5 modules required to de-restrict my B1 in Switzerland.
The rest I did in the UK.
Believe me it is not a level playing field.

oligoe
6th Dec 2007, 15:53
Yes AVOdriver, I think my explanation was a bit wrong and too brief...I wrote that coming home after a night shift.
I did actually hold the old Swiss M licence that I converted to a B1. My B2 modules took me about 3 month. Anyway, the modules themself for a full B1 or B2 don't take much longer in Switzerland and your modules aren t worth anything without the requiered experience.
I know the Swiss JAr 66 is a lot critisized, but I work with people who hold Jar 66 from everywhere in Europe (UK, Sweden, France, Germany, Greece...) and there are good and bad engineers from every country.

Regards,

og

EGT Redline
6th Dec 2007, 16:41
I know the Swiss JAr 66 is a lot critisized

That's because they grant exemptions to car and tractor mechanics!

WOTME is right about the lack of 'level playing field'. You work your nuts off the get a UK CAA issued licence whilst Joe Bloggs in Europe got his off the back of a cereal packet.

oligoe
6th Dec 2007, 17:59
EGT, I trust more some of our guys with "cereal packet" licences than some with UK CAA issued licences when they issue CRSs.
Most of the knowledges we use every day in our job are learned on the job, with the experience.

It is down to each individual to do a safe and professional job, to stay current and be interested.
I can guaranty you the old Swiss S licence for sparkys was comparable to the Multi X.
There are even some unlicenced guys who know much more than some with plenty of licences.
There are good ones and bad ones from everywhere.

I know some guys with a nice British licence who are completely useless and even dangerous. I don t think the UK has a lower accident rate than the rest of the western European countrys. We managed to operate our Avro RJs with 100 per cent reliability almost every month during summer.
regards,
og

AVOdriver
6th Dec 2007, 19:05
Don't want to perpetuate the thread drift but: Oligoe, I happen to fully agree with your post reference individuals abilities. I have also had the privelige of working with many different nationalities. However what seperates Aircraft Engineers from "car mechanics" I now some excellent ones and "tractor mechanics" nope dont know any of those, is that piece of paper attesting to a level of knowledge attained. When that is undermined and devalued so are we all!!

WOTME?
6th Dec 2007, 23:45
I have been in Switzerland & have told a Lead Mechanic 'I will stay at the aircraft to do the duplicate inspection'.
He replied 'We don't need a duplicate,we have not adjusted anything'.
The cable from the HMU to the pylon was in his van at the time!