PDA

View Full Version : Youngster looking for career advice

Normg002
4th Dec 2007, 15:07
Hi guys, i've been a lurker for a bit of a while, thought it was time I made a post, so here goes:)

Im 17, have just finished writing matric, and have always dreamt of being a pilot.

I lived in the UK up until around December of last year, and, while I was there, i completed my GCSE's, and also attended RAF air cadets for around a year (in which time i got about 10 hours dual, and loved every second).

To be honest, i dont really want to fly long haul for a major carrier, i would much rather fly charter/bush flights/cargo flights etc etc.

So, now ive finished school, i wanna take the first step at becoming a pilot. I live in Joburg, and have researched local flight schools, including one of which I would be able to stay on-site.

But, my real question is how do I go about things? Do i go to a flight school, get my PPL privately, and then try for sponsorship for my commercial raiting? Or, do i do both my PPL and Commercial privately, and then look for work?

And, also, another question, but, how many job op's are out there for a freshly qualified pilot?

Thanks in advance!

Geoff Norman

Normg002
4th Dec 2007, 16:40
Oh, forgot to say, I have been designing, building, and flying R/C aircraft (fixed and rotary wing) for the past 9 years, so, i have a basic knowledge of most aerodynamic principles, and, i spent half of my childhood on Microsoft flight sim;)

Just thought i would mention:)

Thanks again!

Geoff

fluffyfan
4th Dec 2007, 21:14
Geoff I respond to you because your experiences seem very similar to my own, my advice for what its worth.........and I would tell you my whole history except I have made some enemies here and I would hate to give them my identity....

get your Comm privately, here in SA by whatever means is financially viable for you.......and there has never been a better time to be a pilot, its exceptionaly expensive but its worth it, if you want to fly as a job there is no other option, beg borrow or steal......get the licence yourself, pay them back, do some charter or flight instruction, some contract work and your next job will be in a big airline......here in SA but most likley in Emirates or Cathay

Good Luck

congoman
5th Dec 2007, 06:02
Hi Geoff
I agree with Fluffy. There's a career guidance chapter on www.flighttraining.co.za
The time has never been better for a young south african "pale male" to get into aviation. Lots of oppertunities in SA and overseas.
Worldwide, it's become a growth industry of note! Tough to get into - but well worth it in the long run.
Best of luck

Normg002
5th Dec 2007, 06:17
Thanks guys! I've just printed the career guidance pages, will be studying them!

So, both of you would agree i should go go private, starting with my PPL, and then when im 18, go for the Commercial?

Thanks again guys! Im really excited for this, feels like im finaly getting the show on the road!:):):)

Cheers!

Geoff

Contract Dog
5th Dec 2007, 08:34
Hey G, welcome to aviation mate, if you dont have cash you can do your PPL and if you pull your weight a lot of schools will sponsor your com if you work there. Its not awalk in the park but it is a way of getting the com. Try APTRAC in Port Elizabeth, great school and high standard of training + its on the coast, much better that having to drive 1hr in Joburg traffic to go and fly!

After that there is loads of work out there at the moment and if bush flying is what you want, then go to the Okavango Delta in Botswana, some of the most fun flying you will ever do and a great learning curve, its real stick and rudder type flying. Just dont stay there too long or you will get stuck there! and when you have done about 1000hrs and they came and offer you a Caravan rating for R70 000, tell them to shove it and leave, go to SA, get your own rating for around R15000 and go on contract.

Good luck and fly safe!

Dog

Normg002
5th Dec 2007, 09:17
Thanks ContactDog:) I've got family in P.E, is that flight school at the Airport?

Bush Flying is something I would definately like to do, I wanna see as much of this beautiful country as possible, and, bush flying is the sort of flying I could imagine myself doing:ok:

I was thinking of doing my PPL and Com here - http://www.randflight.co.za/

They have accomodation on site for a very reasonable fee, so, was thinking I could stay onsite during the week, and fly as a full time student, then return home for weekends? I only love about 20 minutes drive away :) Approx how long can I expect my PPL to take if im flying fulltime? And, is it fair to say Com will take around 18 months?

Anybody got any experiences of "Rand Flight"?

Geoff

Normg002
5th Dec 2007, 13:48
Apologies to the Mod's if this thread was incorrectly titled:)

Geoff

Witraz
5th Dec 2007, 15:43
Geoff,
Welcome to the world of aviation. Now in my 34th year and followed the waves of good times and bad. Having the correct licence, passport and visa's also add to the fun of things. Did my PPL back in Rhodesian days, then CPL and part time instructing and charter work. Moved to the UK and re wrote all the exams for my UK CPL, again for my ATP (didn't have enough hours or cash to do it in one go). Got my first real job flying turbo props. Staying employed proved interesting as the market changed. All those letters written seaking a better position and all the rejections that followed. Had five redundancy letters over the early years, but survived them all except the last which I used to my advantage. Felt down at times, but luck was there somewhere. I have flown in appauling weather around the Scottish Islands, but equally the beauty of landing on the beach on Barra. Now I am very comfortably sitting in the left hand seat of a B777. Charter / Bush flying is brilliant when you are young. Heavy Jets and seeing the world equally cannot be beaten. The moral is enjoy it all, the good and the bad. I am pleased I never gave up and to this day still have a smile when going to work. Oh, and ignore all the moaners and there are plenty of them.
So, Good luck, have fun......enjoy

Normg002
6th Dec 2007, 08:45
Thanks Witraz!:) I guess its like anything in life, it has its ups and its downs, but, obviously, it was worth sticking to, im sure there arnt many people that are still smiling after 34years in one line of work;)

Ive decided im gunna go and take a look at Rand Flight this weekend, hopefully enroll for my PPL, starting early 2008! Ill let you all know what its like, and, how things go!:)

Thanks a million guys!

Geoff