PDA

View Full Version : Modular - My options?

Bernoulli's bro
4th Dec 2007, 14:51
Hi guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. Basically after leaving uni i have been saving like a beaver and have managed to save £60K. I have just turned 27 and i feel that I can't go on working in my current 2 jobs and the time is now to get into the industry.

So bascially what i want to ask everyone is that if you had 60k how would you use it get those all important licenses? I will off course try ctc first but if that is a 'no go' i want to go modular. (I don't want to go to the states!)

Cheers :p:cool:

littco
4th Dec 2007, 15:25
Have you looked at stapleford flight Centre in Essex? For you're 60K you can get all you're licenses and the written exams, and living expenses and even have enough to pay the CAA for giving you them. It's a modular course, but they do the whole thing, except the ATPL exams which you do at London Met university or as I did with Bristol ground school. Can all be done in 12-18months, depending on you're dedication, time and of course the weather.
I was living in East London at the time and used to drive there every day, which was 20 minutes in the car, so very close. It worked for me, and know I couldn't have done any better if I had gone to any other school, but you need to make sure what they offer and the way they teach is suitable to you.. I know plenty of people who I trained with that have all gone on to get jobs one way or another, whether it be instructing, jets or corporate you take you're pick.
My only advice is go and look at all the schools it doesn't cost you anything and 60K is a lot of money, see which one is the best for you, they all do things differently and all train you for same license at the end of the day.
Good luck,

Bernoulli's bro
4th Dec 2007, 15:40
cheers littco m8 i shall have a look at stapleford :cool:

dartagnan
4th Dec 2007, 15:54
I would go buy a nice car, get some chicks... before a school manager take my money.

seriously, you don't have enough for an ATPL, type rating, line training and the 800-1000 h time building which will be required when you will be finished in 2010.

5 RINGS
4th Dec 2007, 16:12
Very helpful indeed Mr Dartagnan.

More seriously, try your best to jump on one of these partially sponsored schemes like Cabair+FlyBe, helping to drive your costs down and secure your future at the same time!

Then if not successful, then see who you'd fancy to work for, choose one of their partner FTO and do your best to get recommended!

Best advise one could give you, do not aim at jets dead straight. TPs are usually very good to get started.

Best of luck & be wise and patient!