PDA

View Full Version : JAA Ground

Davidbriggs30
4th Dec 2007, 14:12
Dear All,

After failing my class 1 medical at Gatwick, one route I was told I can take is to go to America to get a CPL, then come back where I can be issued a JAA medical on the renewall standards which I will pass. My query is if I was to undertake ground school in the UK would it accepted by the FAA or would I have to do the ground school over there?

TelBoy
4th Dec 2007, 16:21
The information you have regarding FAA to JAA is not correct. The CAA will NOT take into consideration FAA medicals. There was once a proposal to swap FAA CPL with 500+ hours for JAA medical and licence, but this never came about.

It also depends what you failed your class 1 on, will you get an FAA Class 2?

All be it, don't take mine or any one else from the forums word for it. Contact our friends at Gatwick with your CAA ref and as them the question, you will then get the answer in writing from them.

I hope you can get your problems sorted out. I also have a restricted CAA Class 1 because of colour vision, but have unrestricted FAA medical, so I know your pain. All the best mate and never give up.

Also if you plan to take an FAA CPL you will need to pass the FAA written paper. This can be done in the UK by Flight Saftey at Farborough and Willow Air in Southend. Remember the FAA writtens are a totally different affair to the CAA ones.

Davidbriggs30
7th Dec 2007, 18:19
I do have it in writing from the CAA saying once I have obtained an ICAO commercial license they will give me a medical to the reknewall limits which I am within. My question was regarding ground school in America and how long it takes and what examinations there are?

mcgoo
7th Dec 2007, 18:24
For the FAA ratings there is 1 exam for the CPL and 1 for the IR, but you do have to have an oral exam before your flight test which can take a few hours and you will be expected to know your stuff, if you start erming and aahing, they will probe deeper and deeper into your knowledge, if you fail the oral eam you won't even get into the aircraft, how long it takes depends on how much you study, the writtens are easy, but if you get a low score they will grill you more on the oral