PDA

View Full Version : Flight Operations Distance Learning Courses

flyingbird
4th Dec 2007, 11:08
Hello there,

I am currently in the RAF re-branching to Flt Ops. I was wondering whether it is worth doing the AVTECH 2000 Airport Operations/Airline Operations and Dispatch courses for use in possible Flt Ops jobs after the Air Force?

If so, which one or are there any better distance learning courses out there?

Does anyone know if the civilian Flt Ops world look favourably upon them?

Any thoughts or insight would be gratefully received.

It Gets Worse
5th Dec 2007, 12:59
Hi Flyingbird,

It is my understanding that Bristol Ground School are setting up a Flight Ops Course. If so it is likely to be very good and the Bristol GS brand will make it attractive I suspect.

They are well established as an approved provider of ATPL Theory training for pilots. Their materials, both hard copy manuals and CBT, are really good.

Link is www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)

Cheers

IGW

kooks
7th Dec 2007, 08:33
http://www.iata.org/training/diploma_programme/diploma_aviation_dl

Dam
9th Dec 2007, 14:34
hi kooks,
have you taken this IATA course?or know anybody who have done so?

kooks
10th Dec 2007, 05:37
Hi Dam,

Yes, I'm currently working my way through the course. Although, as with most distance learning courses, life is getting in the way so its taking me a bit longer than it probably should!

After researching a number of flt ops/aviation courses, I think IATA offer good courses for content and value. They would also be recognisable pretty much anywhere you might choose to work...

K

no sig
11th Dec 2007, 14:51
flyingbird,

The AVTECH courses have value, but before making a choice, do a search in PPRUNE for ICAO 7192 D3 Flight Operations Officer course and read up on past efforts to establish one in the UK.

The IATA course will of course be useful to you and recognised by airlines, but the flight operations officer/flight dispatcher training standard as defined in JAROPS and EASA is to ICAO Document 7192 D3. You might look over this link to CAP768

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20768.pdf

I am a tad out of date with respect to where EASA are with any formal accreditdation for flight operations officers these days, but you should think about selecting a course with the above in mind.

I have had early sight of the Bristol course materials and was very impressed.

flyingbird
20th Dec 2007, 09:13
No sig,

I have had a good read through previous threads debating which flight ops course is the most valuable.

AVTECH actually don't seem to be very highly rated but the Glasgow course does overall. Is this still the case and do you know if they are now endorsed by ICAO?

no sig
20th Dec 2007, 09:49
flyingbird
Sorry, I am afraid I don't know- I'd contact them direct via their website. Last I heard the course was being discontinued, but not sure if that is the case.As for thew ICAO endorsement, they were working towards that I understand, also the college is a JAROPS accredited college for flight crew license exams. Best speak with them directly.

Also, as I mentioned, Bristol Ground School were planning a course to 7192 I believe.

flyingbird
20th Dec 2007, 13:08
OK thanks no sig, I have been on bristol.gs but I can't seem to find anything on Flight Operations courses.

I will contact Glasgow as they still seem to be running a course but I can't tell whether it is purely distance learning which is what I need.

Also they seem to have dropped the ICAO bit from their title?!

no sig
20th Dec 2007, 15:57
flyingbird

Ask them both about their courses. The GCNS course was set up orignally to the ICAO 7192 D3 syllabus in 2002 so I can't imagin they would have moved away from that, particularly as that is the basis for all European ops training.

I would also speak with Bristol GS (Mr, Alex Wittingham, if my memory serves me) or send them an email and ask whether or not they are running the course or planning to. I know there was interest on their part some time back. As I write this the other possibility that comes to mind is in Dublin at Bolton Street, I forget the college's actual name, but they used to also run a course. Maybe someone else on the forum can help with that.

Whatever you choose, good luck with it.

Baldrick755
26th Jun 2018, 09:31
I have spoken at some length this morning to Bristol Ground school.
This course never got past the planning stage and there are currently no plans to start the course either.
If anyone has any ideas for European schools that are doing this course I am all ears myself. Currently it seems that the likes of Jepperson et al are the only ones doing it currently and that is also for the FAA license

plans123
2nd Jul 2018, 12:57
I have spoken at some length this morning to Bristol Ground school.
This course never got past the planning stage and there are currently no plans to start the course either.
If anyone has any ideas for European schools that are doing this course I am all ears myself. Currently it seems that the likes of Jepperson et al are the only ones doing it currently and that is also for the FAA license
Jeppesen do indeed run a FOM1 and FOM2 course, which is industry recognised, but does not get you the FAA Dispatch Licence, If you want the FAA Dispatch licence, you do the Dispatch Licence course.. I'm surprised about the comments about AVTECH as I myself did their courses, and have many other people I know in commercial aviation. I've never heard of any company not recoginising their training courses or qualifications.