PDA

View Full Version : Entering SA from Nam

Mikehotel152
3rd Dec 2007, 22:53
Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm planning on flying from Nam into SA, more specifically Windhoek to Cape Town, and don't want to go direct. Well, can't go direct due to fuel/tiredness considerations.

I gather Upington is the only customs airfield in the Northern Cape, but I'd rather stick to the coast and/or stop at Karios (Fish River Canyon) or Springbok on the SA side. Can I do this or do I have to go via Upington?

Thanks for any thoughts. :ok:

asianeagle
4th Dec 2007, 01:48
Its been a looooong time since I was up that way, but Alexander Bay was always my stop. Fuel and customs, but as I said been a looooong time, better check first. Don't think any customs at FAUP

madherb
4th Dec 2007, 03:27
Alex Bay used to have immigration facilities at the airport many moons ago, but no longer. You'll have to go via Upington, unless you clear in Luderitz then direct FACT. Luderitz is about 140nm from FAAB. I suggest you check the procedure in FACT if going direct from LZ, re parking etc. after arrival - can be tricky and requires the co-operation of the FBO.

Enjoy the trip!

Vlamgat
4th Dec 2007, 05:45
Howdy!!

As far as I have it the old Lady that ran the fuel up there packed up and left, so I dont think there's any Fun juice Left, Make sure before you go!!

:E Aginnintonixadaykeepsadoctaaway!!

saywhat
4th Dec 2007, 06:37
I flew into Upington this time last year and cleared customs and immigration enroute to Walvisbay. Hope you come right.

Mikehotel152
4th Dec 2007, 07:08
Ah, sod, so it is as I thought. :{

I had noted that Upington is the only dorp in western SA mentioned in the Airfields Directory as an Airport of Entry, but hoped that common practice might include a loophole.

Thanks for the help. :ok:

Voel
4th Dec 2007, 12:01
You might consider doing a technical stop (for fuel and customs) at Oranjemund, but prior permission is required from Namdeb. Than you fly direct to Cape Town. Alrernatively, you do a technical stop in Upington, and than fly direct to any airfield/airport in the RSA. Quite a lot of Nam's do that, as Cape Town is quite cumbersome if you're on a private flight. Consider landing at Stellenbosch or Fisantekraal after clearing at Upington.

Mikehotel152
4th Dec 2007, 12:06
Thanks Voel,

I didn't know Oranjemund would take customs clearance flights and it would suit me more than heading inland to Upington.

I would certainly prefer Stellenbosch to CT International! :ok:

Voel
4th Dec 2007, 12:22
Just remember, if you go via Oranjemund, you have to land at Cape Town. Viel Spass

Mikehotel152
4th Dec 2007, 12:52
Ok, I understand you now. Thanks.