PDA

View Full Version : You say "To-mah-toe" I say "MILF"

Two's in
3rd Dec 2007, 22:43
This British guy working for Spirit Airlines either lives in his Mother's basement, or he's having a larf. No such thing as bad publicity, until it comes to explaining risque acronyms.

PS. Apologies for posting an airline related story on Jetblast

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=3945773&page=1

Airline's 'MILF' Promo Not What You Think
Spirit Airlines Claims Ignorance of Promotional Title's Connection to Obscene Acronym

Act fast and you too can cash in on the "MILF" promotion.

The fire sale by Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Spirit Airlines promises "Many Islands, Low Fares" deals as low as $9 for future travel dates between Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas.

While the prices may be right, it's that promotional acronym that's raised eyebrows among customers and now has the company feeling "uncomfortable."

Before MILF became shorthand for a Spirit Airlines promotion, the acronym hit the mainstream as an obscene descriptor of a mother considered to be sexy.

The term was popularized in the raunchy 1999 feature film "American Pie," in which Jennifer Coolidge plays Stifler's Mom, an attractive, voluptuous woman who ultimately seduces a high school adversary of her son Steve, played by Seann William Scott.

It's impossible to know exactly what percentage of Americans are familiar with the slang acronym, but Spirit Airlines maintains that the executive who authorized the MILF promotion did not know the connection.
Arbelaez said that Spirit's senior vice president of pricing is a British citizen who was unfamiliar with the MILF terminology and that the airline is not trying to offend customers.

PaperTiger
3rd Dec 2007, 22:53
So there are no MILFs in Britain ? I had long suspected as much.:E

TheDesertFerret
3rd Dec 2007, 22:55
Not true PaperTiger.

Do you need addresses?

matt_hooks
3rd Dec 2007, 23:46
And a quite brilliant piece of advertising it is too!

They sit there, having spent a tiny amount of money, while the massed news media make big news out of their little faux pas.

Lets face it, they wouldn't be the first advertisers to play the news media to get a load of free advertising!

G-CPTN
4th Dec 2007, 00:39
Just name a teddy-bear after a spiritual leader . . .

larssnowpharter
4th Dec 2007, 04:11
And then there is the 'Moro Islamic Liberation Front'.

One understands they don't do teddys:confused:

arcniz
4th Dec 2007, 06:31
MILF - "That stands for Mormon Island Light Ferry", doesn't it?

Really quite an amusing play on names, eh? Clever fellows there.

henry crun
4th Dec 2007, 06:42
The people who search online for low fares to island destinations will be taken to some interesting web sites.

Snifferdog
4th Dec 2007, 10:30
I suppose FCUK air would get nowhere!! (Flying Colours UK!!) :E

Sir George Cayley
4th Dec 2007, 16:02
And I challenge anyone to prove me wrong:ok:

Sir George Cayley

Shunter
4th Dec 2007, 16:07
I think Nigella is widely regarded as the quintessential British MILF.

Loki
4th Dec 2007, 18:00
Recently Renault got themselves extra publicity by declaring that they would be banning the "N" word in their showrooms for a week......apparently there`s a word other than "no" which upset people.:confused:

PaperTiger
4th Dec 2007, 19:23
Not true PaperTiger.

Do you need addresses?Some pictures to start with.

Carry0nLuggage
5th Dec 2007, 00:08
I think the correct British term for MILF is Yummy Mummy :E