PDA

View Full Version : Pay For Type Rating

TomCat50
3rd Dec 2007, 15:06
My son paid for his 737 TR, got a job offer 2 weeks later! I never paid for mine back in the good old days, and it's a shame these youngsters have to now!

Tom

AlphaMale
3rd Dec 2007, 15:48
I never paid for mine back in the good old days, and it's a shame these youngsters have to now!

Nobody is forcing them too? Most pilots here advice newbies not to pay for a TR. A lot of people don't listen and do one anyway with no job offer and are still just as far away from getting a RHS job in a jet. :ugh:

It's only due to a handful of people gaining SSTR that the industry is getting more expensive to get into.

Your son paid for a TR and got a job within 2 weeks. Out of curiosity how long did he wait between getting his fATPL and starting the TR? with how many hours? and who does he fly for now?

Thanks

s10an
3rd Dec 2007, 16:07
And... Where did he get the money to pay for his TR?

ron83
3rd Dec 2007, 16:31
Aren't you a Chief Pilot in that company?:E:}

CarbHeatIn
3rd Dec 2007, 16:41
Was he stoned at the time?:E

AlphaMale
3rd Dec 2007, 18:34
I think he's a bit tight holding his son out for 2 weeks before letting him loose on his very own 737 in all honesty.

I wouldn't be too happy if my father did that. :=

TomCat50
3rd Dec 2007, 22:50
Just because i can financially back my son does not make me a bad guy. Yes i gave him flight time on a 737, but i bet you would help your children if you could. I find it an insult that you would suggest my son gets ''stoned''.

Tom

s10an
4th Dec 2007, 01:40
Maybe you should have given him the money to get the instructor rating and build some honest and very important experience..
But hey... The industry might just need another 200 Hr pilot wonder with no clue about the real world!!:mad:

stellair
4th Dec 2007, 02:09
TomCat50

You are a sad goader, get a life :ugh:

boogie-nicey
4th Dec 2007, 12:46
Come on chaps leave TomCat50 alone, he's right it's natural to help your son/daughter whenever and wherever you can. You can't throw insults at his actions. If you have a different opinion that's perfectly acceptable but don't go out of your way to villify that poor man and his lad, it's just not gentlemanly. We are all faced by colleagues, relatives, friends, etc who have inadvertently 'jumped the queue' in life but that doesn't mean you immediately take it upon yourself to pour scorn on them, jealously is a very ugly episode. Dear oh dear....:rolleyes:

AlphaMale
4th Dec 2007, 13:29
Your son paid for a TR and got a job within 2 weeks. Out of curiosity how long did he wait between getting his fATPL and starting the TR? with how many hours? and who does he fly for now?

If you would be so kind. ... (curiosity)

PAPI-74
4th Dec 2007, 13:49
Maybe you should have given him the money to get the instructor rating and build some honest and very important experience..

Very good point.
I instruct now as a hobby, because it helps me to relax. If you can sit next to someone who cannot fly and teach them to land, not only is it very rewarding, but it gives you skills in dealing with emergencies during Airline Operations or indeed on trickier days when others would get maxed out.
Plus if you want to ever become a TRI/TRE, the background is there.

No regrets here....and I would never pay for a TR...especially to earn 8K till they decide to line check me then make me pay for the following OPC/LPC on a day off.
I would rather work in Nigeria...and that will never happen either.

EjetSetter
4th Dec 2007, 13:58
Tomcat, that's the love of the parent and I understand. I will ask this, how did you get into the industry?

I have two jobs, one as a instructor the other as a MC in a local stadium. Why? Because I feel that the industry owes me a TR. Am I selfish no, I'm realistic and people paying for a TR or LT are dumb and shortsighted. Who wants pilot's like that?

LCC's that are also shortsighted. Let me guess your son is a FR pilot? Hopefully the only good comming out of the FR experience is it's pure evil tatics to staff and pilots. Imagine if you son did get a FI raiting, he could write his ticket to most major UK airlines (BA, BD, EI).

I think someone else mentioned regionals. Well BE is a very respectable one, however one that comes to my mind is Aer Arann. I'd have no quam in the world to work for them if they paid for a TR. Here in the states I'm waiting for a reply and praying for one. Over in Europe with the two airlines I went for I'm also waiting. But I can wait because I'm still flying and enjoying the experience. Because I was an FI I know what low pay is and how to work around it.

Kiev23
4th Dec 2007, 18:07

Tomcat why dont you answer these questions???

PAPI-74
4th Dec 2007, 18:13
Kiev...don't even think about getting tempted.

F.O. 737-800
4th Dec 2007, 18:26
Good for you TomCat, helping your son was a perfectly sensible thing to do IMO. Unfortunately you can’t post on this forum as it is full of the angry and jealous who for whatever reason can’t secure a job in the airlines and believe the world owes them a living.

Frankly I’m tired of people posting that everyone should instruct before moving on to bigger and better things, if you wish to instruct then by all means do it and enjoy. However don’t pour scorn on and take your own slightly childish feelings out on those who don’t wish to follow that route.

PAPI-74
4th Dec 2007, 18:30
...heads up. Here's another one.:oh:

EjetSetter
4th Dec 2007, 18:40
Good for you TomCat, helping your son was a perfectly sensible thing to do IMO. Unfortunately you can’t post on this forum as it is full of the angry and jealous who for whatever reason can’t secure a job in the airlines and believe the world owes them a living.

Frankly I’m tired of people posting that everyone should instruct before moving on to bigger and better things, if you wish to instruct then by all means do it and enjoy. However don’t pour scorn on and take your own slightly childish feelings out on those who don’t wish to follow that route.

Actually FO 737, here in the states most if not all students and additcs go about this way. And ironically it keeps the industry churning also keeping a good homogenous state. In Europe people are alluded by the SSTR and because of that and 9/11 there has been a downturn in T&C's.

I'm guessing your an FR pilot that loves his job, why? Simple because your wanting to get into the RHS was a shortsight like most Ryanair crew and now you feel that the older or more intelligent are at a better place.

Here's why I feel the industry owes me because where else would I sacrafice thousands of dollars to be in a position such as myself. No other job makes you lose that much for the gain of love and if people come on here and say that it's a job; their dillusioned by the airlines like Ryanair who offer false promises and neon lights that guide you to the 4 wall zone known as greed. Honestly at least Ryanair exposes the guys who went to this job for the money and not the joy.

I actually waited for over two years for this an only am now applying, why? Not because I'm selfish but because I know this industry better then you and if you went to an LCC for the allure of a little work so too should you get little pay.

F.O. 737-800
4th Dec 2007, 19:04
Ejetsetter, Ex RyanAir actually, and no I went in with my eyes open knowing perfectly well what RyanAir was about and used it as means to an end.

You seem certain that you know the industry better than myself, which is an arrogant position seeing as you are judging this on one post which I have made. Also you seem to think that I don’t really care about flying as I have a good job in an Airline, again you’re wrong, I love what I do, work hard and enjoy every minute.

Sorry it took you 2 years to get yourself to a position where you feel you are ready to go for the airlines, and feel free to vent your anger at me, it bothers me not, but don’t and others take your inadequacies out on those who post on this forum to get sensible valid response.

AlphaMale
4th Dec 2007, 19:32
F.O. I think your forgetting this thread starter is looking at buying his own 737 :suspect:

Everybody gets to where they are with hard work and taking risks, people have different views on this.

People who can afford the £20k for a TR must have saved for longer before training, worked harder at school in order to get the good job before training or they are happy to take a huge risk like dartangan did and not landed a job.

I intend on keeping training costs to a minimum, take as little risks as possible and just enjoy the ride. You only come through this way ounce and I intend to enjoy every minute of it. I love teaching and I look forward to the CFI/FI route.

I just hope the SSTR pilots know what they are doing to the aviation industry. It's not a case or who has the most money but morals! Paying £70k to land a job is crazy enough without having to pay for a £20k TR.

s10an
5th Dec 2007, 04:20
And lets not forget the fact that as long as the 200 hr wonders are willing to pay for TR, work for low wages, this industry will never get back to the pay pilots had in the golden age of aviation.

AlphaMale
5th Dec 2007, 11:56
after realising that it will cost over 900$US to buy a fully functional and airworthy B737-800

I'm sorry but I get a funny feeling this is a wind up. A pilot with 8,000+hrs flying for an airline should have a rough figure in his mind of what a 737-800 will cost to buy and run :confused:

As for the other thread about the smelly FO ... that got moved to Jet Blast. Maybe this Captain is just pulling our leg as a form of entertainment for himself, or maybe for us.

If I had the cash to think about buying a 737-NG the £20k TR as a xmas present for my son would be pocket change surely? ... There are plenty of people on pprune who have gained a RHS in jets without having to SSTR too.

I'm not going to make any more comments on this thread but I will be checking for the answers to the questions I asked in case this in not a wind up: