PDA

View Full Version : Looking for anything positive

lang409
3rd Dec 2007, 14:26
I've been reading your posts for a while now. Some of it I can relate to and some of it I can't (being an American).

Is there anyone here that is PRO- Dubai or EK?

Cheers

Dune
3rd Dec 2007, 15:30
Are you friggin serious?????????????

You want only positive points.....and you are going to make a career decision based upon that?

Well sport, here are my "positive" points:

1) as long as you keep your nose clean and don't step in the ****, you will probably have a job for as long as you (or your wife) can stomach it due to the lack of pilots who want to come to do this place, and

2) the weather for 8 months of the year is great.........4 months suck (oh, sorry, you didn't want to hear any negatives), and

3) the iron you fly is modern and generally well maintained.

That's pretty much it. Enough to come over................???????

tbaylx
3rd Dec 2007, 16:19
Most guys come on here to blow off some steam or just bitch..you aren't going to find tons of positive comments. If you want an idea of what some of the issues are it's a good starting point, varying from the completely petty to legit concerns.

Most of the guys who are happy don't come on here to post that. There is a significant amount of people that enjoy working for EK despite the issues that are there. There isn't such a thing as a perfect airline, you either learn to live with the issues that your airline has, and get on with life, or you get so pissed off you go chasing the perfect job on the other side of the rainbow where the grass is greener. Until you get over there and realize there is another pile of crap to deal with.

Overall i'd say the majority of people are happy at EK depsite some issues. Life's what you make of it.

Fart Master
3rd Dec 2007, 17:08
Wow Dune, when did maintenance sort itself out!!!

Desert Diner
4th Dec 2007, 03:28
I've been reading your posts for a while now. Some of it I can relate to and some of it I can't (being an American).

Is there anyone here that is PRO- Dubai or EK?

By asking such a question tells me that you can't relate to any of what is said here. And being an American has nothing to do with any of it.

I doubt this guy is coming here, as this sounds more like a windup.

But as for being happy out here, I would venture to say that even most posters are relatively happy with the pace of life and the weather to offset employer problems as well as "living conditions"

Itswindyout
4th Dec 2007, 03:35
there is one less reason to base in DXB.

Dune
4th Dec 2007, 11:39
Wow Dune, when did maintenance sort itself out!!!

Ha, Ha. Got me there F.M.

Now down to 2 positive's............ where the hell is my UAE exit visa?:bored:

Seriously lang409, there is very little in this company/place to be "positive" about (other than what I mentioned in a rather abrupt tone previous). There are many things in this company/place to be "neutral" about and many thing's in the company/place to be "negative" about.

I must admit I find it somewhat amusing that it is generally the American's who come on this site and either attempt to pump up the limited positives of the company/place or attempt to discredit the negatives that are clearly evident and identified. No offence intended; I actually admire that sort of "can do, no matter what, I'll be happy" outlook. I do however question whether those types will continue to pump the place after they have been here for 10 years (many Americans hired in the past 3 years have already either left or are making plans to do so).

Having trolled on various American pilot websites, I'm always amused how Pprune gets such a "bad rap" for it's "negative outlook". While I would admit there are a few "wingnuts" who are 100% negative on every aspect of the company/place, I would say generally most posts on this site represent a well balanced, objective view of the truth. As such, I think it would be a mistake for any wanna-be to discredit the information written on this site when attempting to make a well informed decision on whether to move/work/live here or not.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mustapha Rex
4th Dec 2007, 12:49
A few positives...? hahahah!

You are trying to make us laugh right?

:E

French teenager gets raped by HIV positive local, courts turn blind eye, by evaluating teenager was already "experienced"

Guess the same evaluation goes when you are in the right company in the wrong, they'll find anything to shaft you.

Very positive indeed!

Fart Master
4th Dec 2007, 13:44
Positives, hmmmmmmmm......now let me think....................................................... ...................................;)

145qrh
4th Dec 2007, 15:08
It think( well sometimes:bored:) that some of our newer colleagues do think Emirates is a step up. And I honeslty believe that they think everyone is as happy as they are.

EK does have its positives for sure , and the big one is that the pay check, however small, is always in the bank on time and it's a safe bet that it will continue to hit you bank account on the same day each month for the foreseeable future.

As for the rest of the cr*p, well I'm just kinda resigned to the fact that rest of it is **** and will continue to be thus until I get out.

Wiley
5th Dec 2007, 09:51
409, it's pretty much a given that most people are happy here for the first six months. It's locally known as 'the toy phase', where many newcomers to Dubai keep themselves happy buying the latest electronic gadgets and cars and sometimes boats.

I don't think I'm being negative when I say that the toy phase rarely lasts longer than six months.

Sorry, but I can't resist a negative comment. The traffic is abominal. However, on second thoughts, I can put a positive spin on that. It's not nearly as dangerous most of the time anymore as it once was, if only because no one, including "drivers of large black 4WDs with dark tinted windows" (which is local code for a word already in this sentence), can't get fast enough anymore in the almost perpetual traffic gridlock to cause the kind of havoc they one did.

AA717driver
5th Dec 2007, 20:30
You're hearing from more U.S. pilots lately because we are starting to look around the world for opportunity. (We get criticized for being to parochial by not branching out in the world and get criticized when we do... :rolleyes: ) I, personally, am intrigued by the opportunities in the Gulf but can't just hop on a plane to go explore.

Here's a question: What do you do on your time off when the "toy phase" wears off (other than writing on pprune)?

I know it's tough to go standby on EK. (It's tough to go standby on AA, too.) Is it impossible to get on a plane to somewhere decent? Do some of the European "vacation" airlines fly to DXB so you could get up to Europe relatively inexpensively?

I will say that the "negative tone" here is a little daunting initially, but it's no different than the American Airlines' pilot message board--actually, it's quite a bit more critical than pprune.

Having been a consistent reader here for a while, I appreciate the posts on life at EK. I know some who have left EK and returned to the U.S. were probably expecting it to be the land of milk and honey and were bitterly disappointed upon finding it's not.

I don't believe there are any really outstanding jobs out there. You get good T & C's and there's no stability. Good stability and your quality of life suffers.

I guess the wife and I need to make a trek to the desert and see for ourselves. TC

Wiley
6th Dec 2007, 03:53
What do you do on your time off?I think many would answer: "Sleep."

troff
6th Dec 2007, 04:26
A!
If you get sick on a Friday, dey take good care of you at da American Ospital...:}
T

Desert Diner
6th Dec 2007, 10:39
What do you do on your time off?
I think many would answer: "Sleep."

The other favorite activity is "drink!"

Fart Master
6th Dec 2007, 11:20
And a wee Ham Shandy goes down a treat:E

mini cooper
7th Dec 2007, 17:50
best thing about Emirates.................being away from Dubai
ie away from the muppets in EK management, away from the poxy Ek politics, away from the morons that make the roads so dangerous in Dubai, away from the stifling/ humid hot weather that you get for 8 months a year (you can tell it is bad as all the locals try to leave during the summer as well!!).
Yes we have new jets, regular pay cheques, lots of destinations and the list is growing BUT no support from management, petty rules and regulations, inflexibility and there's much more.................