PDA

View Full Version : Rip off telephone numbers

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Dec 2007, 13:37
There are quite a few like 0870 right now but 0870 will come under a change in February. Then there is 0871/2/3/ etc.,

How about 0845? Bet you all believe as I did that it is charged at a "local rate" - well it is. But here is the con. So is the person you are calling be they down the road or up country. They pay to receive your call.

You can check out the details on saynoto0870.com which allows you to circumvent these numbers and give you an alternative geographical number. It is reliable most of the time but some companies are wise to the skip and you get changed to another - 0870!

These rip offs are scandalous and sometimes very expensive. The companies using them are making a lot of money. So are the companies providing them!!

Well, it annoys me anyway.

Edit: Put it like this: You can buy an 0845 number and make money. Google 0845 and see the offers!

Sallyann1234
3rd Dec 2007, 13:56
How about 0845? Bet you all believe as I did that it is charged at a "local rate" - well it is. But here is the con. So is the person you are calling be they down the road or up country. They pay to receive your call.

Are you SURE about that?

WG774
3rd Dec 2007, 14:11
O845 is only 'local rate' if you're with BT - for other operators, it's a free-for-all - they can charge what they want.

The whole thing's a total scam :*

I'd love to know why it costs me over three times as much to call my mate who lives 2 miles away, on his bearded mobile, than it does for me to call Seattle on a land line...

niknak
3rd Dec 2007, 14:21
In the UK, consider subscribing to www.18866.com.

All you pay for is a connection charge of 5p for UK calls any time of the day and a bit more for anywhere outwith the UK.
No other charges apart from VAT, the only downside being that if the call recipient has number display, the number comes up as "international", as 18866 rent any spare phone lines throughout the UK and European ohone system.

Otherwise, it's very efficiant and we save a fortune.

DME MILOS
3rd Dec 2007, 14:36
http://www.saynoto0870.com
Try this link, they sometimes have a landline number instead, useful if you have free calls on your phone package. :)

Sallyann1234
3rd Dec 2007, 15:12
@ PPRuNe Pop

The holder of an 0845 number does NOT have to pay for calls they receive. Only the caller pays, usually about 4p from another landline.

ScottyDawg
3rd Dec 2007, 15:19
Don't start me off on this one...:\

They are barstewards of the first order.. example: "If you need technical advice or support for your new for your new laptop.. please call 0845..etc

Aye..right... at 0.55 a flippin' minute... and you have to yak to some chappie in India. (who has a wee bit of difficulty with one's accent)

Barstewards.. the lot of 'em:yuk::yuk:

airborne_artist
3rd Dec 2007, 15:20
SallyAnn - depends on the 0845 provider and the call volume. Enough calls and it's free to the end user, but if the volume is too low they'll charge a perhaps tenner a month plus free calls, or they'll charge for the calls.

Sallyann1234
3rd Dec 2007, 15:49
I have a second line with an 0845 number, which I use mainly for outgoing calls. Occasionally I get an incoming call on it if the main line is busy, but there is never any charge to me.

ATNotts
3rd Dec 2007, 18:55
For businesses, the issue of 0845 / 0870 et al is that generally, dependent upon annual call spend, most will join a call plan from their provider (in our case BT). this offers very good capped prices for call lasting up to one hour.

The rub is that the rates apply only to 01 and 02 numbers. 08's are charged at the full rate (either local or national) and are not capped, so when UPS (for example) keeps you on hold waiting for one of their very busy "agents" to come free, you a running up a considerable bill.

I keep "saynoto0870" on my favourites list, and wherever possible use the UK 01 or 02 numbers, thus depriving my supplier from profitting from their inefficiency, and saving the comapny on the phone bill.

harpy
3rd Dec 2007, 19:15
I can recommend saynoto0870. I can usually get an alternative number from them.

airship
3rd Dec 2007, 19:15
I think rip-off telephone numbers are just GREAT!

And extremely practical when they're at the bottom of say a small ad on a notice-board so that you don't have to have a pen or paper handy to jot down the number...?!

Keef
3rd Dec 2007, 23:34
I read somewhere (ie the BT bill) that some time next year, many 0845 and 0870 will change to 03... which will be the same price as 01... and 02...

Roll on, say I. I already saynoto0870.

frostbite
4th Dec 2007, 13:19
That's one thing to be said about the TalkTalk 0871 helpline - since calls from one TT number to another are free, it is if you're a customer.