PDA

View Full Version : Lunch anyone?

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Dec 2007, 10:13
Can anyone suggest a place to go for lunch - has to be in easy walking distance of an airstrip, within 100 nm of Brisbane, and open on a Sunday?

Dr :8

puff
3rd Dec 2007, 10:33
Try Cherrabah Homestead Resort, near Warwick, they'll pick u up at the strip, not a bad feed up at the resort and a challenging little gravel strip.

MCKES
3rd Dec 2007, 10:38
If you land at YBAF you can catch the bus into the city. Plenty of places to eat there:}

Jamair
3rd Dec 2007, 10:58
YTWB - get a taxi to the Spotted Cow, Chuck will vouch for it from our last loooonnng lunch when he visited in the Bonza :O......or Weis's, always a good feed.:ok:

slackie
3rd Dec 2007, 17:45
Raglan (NZRA), just walk across the bridge at the end of the strip and your in the middle of town, couple of good cafes to choose from, or Waihi Beach (NZWV) had a pretty good cafe on the airfield at the southern end, or Pauanui (NZUN) - if you want to see how the other half live -has shops and cafes just of the western end...oh...hang on....not within 100nm Brissy...never mind!!

Tankengine
3rd Dec 2007, 17:54
Does GCAC still do lunch at cooly? [left 20 years ago this month but it was good then!!!:}

The Voice
3rd Dec 2007, 20:38
Talking things Gold Coast - try the Tugun or Currumbin Surf Club, or look for a Cafe called Salt - all obviously pretty close to the beach!

Need to take a taxi ride but shouldn't be that expensive, with Salt being closest to the airport .. Damned fine alfresco dining ..

VH-XXX
3rd Dec 2007, 21:00
Who's the "lucky" lady???

VH-FTS
3rd Dec 2007, 22:27
The Gold Coast 'Aero Club' has been closed for a few months. Looks permanent, but I may be wrong. Used to put on a good feed.

tinpis
4th Dec 2007, 00:30
:rolleyes:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/dellas1000/CIMG4490.jpg

Valdiviano
4th Dec 2007, 00:45
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF............CCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK tinpis, I would not feed that to my dog, come to think, I do not have a Dog.

tinpis
4th Dec 2007, 00:52
You thought they were nummy before 89 tho didnt ya?:E

Valdiviano
4th Dec 2007, 01:01
WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I don't recall being served anything like that during my days as a WOMBAT or later in AWA.
They must be weird in The Azores Airline, fancy double helping of peas and carrots

Jabawocky
4th Dec 2007, 01:14
http://www.jimbour.com/

Has its own strip!

And the food is better than at Tin's Cafe!:}

tinpis
4th Dec 2007, 01:19
:( (strange,they all looked like that to me)

nohumbug
4th Dec 2007, 02:09
what about a coastal at 500ft up to maroochy and a short cab ride up to coolum or even noosa.. a few extra bob might be the difference between throwing the leg over...or not:E

john_tullamarine
4th Dec 2007, 03:20
I don't recall being served anything like that during my days as a WOMBAT

... you, like me, probably are still trying to lose the weight put on during the halcyon days of Wombatting ... I didn't bother keeping the Mickey Mouse blue wings post 24 Aug .. but I still treasure the Wombat regalia.

... ah, those wonderful days of being accused of emulating the noble seagull .....

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Dec 2007, 03:32
Who's the "lucky" lady???

Its a harem!

Jaba, CC, maybe Beachy!

I figure CCs suffering the no-Bo DTs and maybe a lap in the FTDK would fix him!

PS: "a few extra bob might be the difference between throwing the leg over...or not:E" Ahhhhhhhh ...... I'm lost for words!

Schmacko
4th Dec 2007, 05:06
Gentlemen,
Cadney Homestead for those of you with a little class,
pull up to the fuel bowser, jump out 25m to the Roadhouse for a truly scrumtuous meal.
No flies, no mossies no camels, no dogs and no big antenna to dodge on final.

Schmacko only dines in style.

The Voice
4th Dec 2007, 05:37
:eek: Captain Claret's going too?

Capt Claret
4th Dec 2007, 07:23
If he is, he doesn't know it yet.

Could be that other famous CC Voice, Chimbu Chuckles. :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
4th Dec 2007, 08:04
"Could be that other famous CC Voice, Chimbu Chuckles. :}"

.... and he doesn't know yet either!

Chimbu chuckles
4th Dec 2007, 12:51
Huh...know what?

Been stuck the last week in 'the dial up zone'...truly terrifying experience it was too.

Sounds like fun:ok:

The Voice
4th Dec 2007, 20:28
:O ah but of course - silly me!

OzExpat
5th Dec 2007, 12:50
The Brekky Creek pub is pretty close to BNE. Everyone will (hopefully) be there on 15 December. Sorry that it's not a Sunday tho... :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
10th Dec 2007, 06:25
Well Cherribah won out - Great spot! Can recommend it to anyone looking for a place to have lunch within easy flying distance of the Gold Coast - Sunshine Coast strip.

Beachy, Jaba, Chuckles and the mad Dr had a very enjoyable BBQ lunch and great hospitality from the resort.

Our two Bonanzas were soon joined on the strip by a couple of C182RGs and a C172 from the DDAC - turned into a regular pilot's convention!

Some interesting characters - including a guy who dead-sticked a RAAF Mustang into Sydney (Kingsford Smith) Airport in the fifties.

View from the verandah

http://www.fototime.com/54FADF7312A982F/standard.jpg

ABX
10th Dec 2007, 11:13
I'd be more interested in a pic of the attendees Doc. (Just to see how many of you could still stand up!):}:E:ok:

puff
11th Dec 2007, 07:08
Glad to hear you enjoyed Cherrabah guys, I went there on a PPL nav years ago and after I got my PPL took my folks out there on a Sunday and had a great time. Good feed and nice people, and a fun little strip!

Had no worries getting in and out in the Bo's? Gets a bit steep at the end but I guess it's nothing to PNG for chuck

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Dec 2007, 04:04
"Had no worries getting in and out in the Bo's?"

In

http://www.fototime.com/D4A2FE3FE2C4285/conv.wmv

Out

http://www.fototime.com/EDA3232D43D2BC7/conv.wmv

ABX
29th Dec 2007, 05:47
I'm guessing that you were in the LHS on the take off Doc, who was flying during the landing?

Looks like an interesting strip with the dip in the middle.

On the video of the landing the prop appears to stop during the roll out, is that just a trick of the camera?

Cheers,

ABX

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Dec 2007, 05:53
ABX, Capt Chuckles was in command both ways! For that TO, I think he was back in PNG.

"On the video of the landing the prop appears to stop during the roll out, is that just a trick of the camera?"

Yeah, how cool is that - a Bonanza with reverse thrust.

Angle of Attack
29th Dec 2007, 08:35
Wow! Since when was Cherribah sealed? Sorry to show my age but last time I was there is was a mixture of gravel and overgrown grass! Hmm it was probably 13 years ago though lol!

Looks nice DR.! I should try and organise a trip out there too! last time I was there Cattle were swarming all over the airfield had to call up a few hours prior to clean them out!

ABX
29th Dec 2007, 09:49
Yeah, how cool is that - a Bonanza with reverse thrust.

Cracked me up Doc. You really are an enthusiast!:ok:

Mr. Hat
30th Dec 2007, 12:33
She's chewin up a few meters of that rwy there Doc!!!

Chimbu chuckles
30th Dec 2007, 14:01
She's chewin up a few meters of that rwy there Doc!!!

Gee...that isn't how I remember the takeoff:confused:

I think this is one of my favorite piccies taken on the day...the video taken just after is better but I am not sure FTDK will put that up. Note boys and girls formal formation flying training required:ok:
http://www.fototime.com/{CC2CB211-9002-434F-8ABF-76B850CFB2AA}/picture.JPG

Launchpad McQuack
30th Dec 2007, 15:09
Nice pic guys, sounds like it turned out to be quite an event! Is that FTDK's Bo?

LP

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Dec 2007, 21:53
Hat, I think that's an illusion! If you watch the video carefully you can see Chuck reach over to retract the gear - lots of runway remaining. The runway is 855 m - at that weight/density height, I would expect the Bo to be up and away in less than 600 m.

Mr. Hat
30th Dec 2007, 22:55
Nice brings back some memories. Been a while for me out of small strips Looks like you lads are having a good time.

I note that you are always on the move thru the country is it work or play or both? Looks like good times anyway.

ForkTailedDrKiller
30th Dec 2007, 23:15
Much work creates the opportunity for a little bit of play!

Chimbu chuckles
31st Dec 2007, 01:14
It was a great day...two great aeroplanes, great location and great company...we're definately going to do it again when my Bo leaves the shed all prissied up...only next time will be RON.

FTDK suggested we start an annual Pprune fly in...and it aint a bad idea.

BEACH KING
31st Dec 2007, 03:58
Couldn't have put it any better myself Chuck! A truly terrific day.
Look foward to doing it again next year:ok:

Jabawocky
31st Dec 2007, 13:44
Quiet party .....few friends.........:uhoh:

beware:}

J:ok: