PDA

View Full Version : Help please.

rvusa
3rd Dec 2007, 08:18
Laptop with XP Home installed. On the screen a block of three blue buttons has appeared labeled 'Caps lock', 'Scroll lock' and 'Num lock'. Right or left clicking on them doesn't do anything. All you can do is move them to different places with the mouse. Is there an easy way for a novice to get rid of them? :ugh:

Slasher
3rd Dec 2007, 08:28
Never heard of this one but could be a malicous gif of sorts.

Does it happen on boot-up?

Have you tryed the ESCAPE key?

rvusa
3rd Dec 2007, 09:24
Slasher,
Thanks for the reply. It appears every time on boot up. Escape key makes no difference, nor any other key for that matter! Only other detail I have is that the blue 'Cap Locks' button illuminates when keyboard 'caps lock' is selected. Don't have scroll or num lock on the laptop to test. The block of three can be moved to any part of the desktop screen, except over the bottom bar, but never even partially off it.

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2007, 10:27
It sounds like a "helper" or accessibility application that you don't want or need.

Check if there is anything in your Startup folder, check Add / Remove Programs and Accessibility Options in Control Panel.

You can use MSCONFIG (Start/Run/MSCONFIG) to examine what exactly is started automatically by Windows.

SD

BRL
3rd Dec 2007, 11:19
You could possibly get more help if you were more specific in the thread title.

I have found by experience that a lot of people often ignore threads with just 'Help' or 'Help Me' and so on, in the title. :)

A2QFI
3rd Dec 2007, 11:26
How about blipping f8 during boot up and then selecting "Last Known Good settings" or similar, to see if that gets rid of the unwanted buttons?

Jhieminga
3rd Dec 2007, 11:37
Looks like some sort of accessibility application like Saab Dastard pointed out. Could you post some more specifics about your laptop? Make, model etc.

rvusa
3rd Dec 2007, 12:11
Sorry MOD, did consider that but failed to come up with a concise request!
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 2430-402 which is, as far as I know, standard.
I have looked in the areas suggested by SD but don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for!
Thanks for the replies.

Jhieminga
4th Dec 2007, 09:56
In Accessibility options, uncheck everything except on the General tab, leave the two items under 'Notification' checked.

The folder 'Startup' in your start menu should be pretty empty, could you list the items that are in there? Basically if there is something in there that you have not asked for, or is not related to needed software, it could be the cause of this.

The Add/Remove programs list is a longer one probably, lets start with these two issues first and see if that creates a solution.

Parapunter
4th Dec 2007, 11:05
One more. Straight after boot up, with no programs running, right click on the system tray (the bar at the bottom of the screen). A dialog box will open - select task manager & then click on the applications tab. This will tell you what if any, programs are running. Your buttons may not appear there, but it's a quick way to see.

rvusa
5th Dec 2007, 21:40
Hi,
In the start menu were about 35 lines, rather than the few you suggested, so it wasn't really practical to list them all here. I did go via the diagnostic start, removing more and more items until it disappeared. Due to my inexpert attempts I wasn't able to identify exactly which line had been causing the trouble. Anyway, thanks, it's gone!
:)