PDA

View Full Version : Electronic ERSA (Database)

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Dec 2007, 01:19
Hi All

does anyone know if where one might find an electornic version of the ERSA in a database format?

I know you can download individual ERSA pages, but I am after more of a database which one can access programatically. I am guessing such a animal does exist as various flight planning applications have this data and I doubt they enter it all manually (QA issues).

I have the MapTrax map packs so this is about all I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Lasiorhinus
3rd Dec 2007, 01:44
If youve got enough time on your hands, you can download every page from the ERSA.. you should be able to make your own database from that!

FWIW, the major flight planning programs DO have all data entered manually - but once the initial task is done, its only a matter of updating it every 12 weeks. The black bar in the ERSA helps this process.

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Dec 2007, 01:50
Lasiorhinus,

thanks for the quick reply.

Does the ERSA data not need to be licenced and if the data is entered manually would that data then not be licenced again to be allowed to be used operationally?

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Dec 2007, 01:54
OK

have done a quick search in the CAR's and looks like there is a loophole.

CAR 233

(h) the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in AIP or by a person approved in writing, that are applicable:

Also in the AIP:

AIP ENR 1.10 para 5.1

Pilots are required to carry, and have readily available in the aircraft, the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in AIP – or by an organisation approved by CASA – that are applicable to the route to be flown, and any alternative route that may be flown, on that flight.

Are there no commercial versions of the ERSA such as MapTrax for the WAC'S, VTC & VNC data?

Lasiorhinus
3rd Dec 2007, 01:58
If by licenced, you mean copyright, yes, the ERSA is copyright, but able to be reproduced for fair and reasonable operational use. If you're planning on marketing your electronic ersa, call Airservices Publications.

Actually, theres an idea. Call them anyway and ask them to HELP you put together an electronic one.

Lasiorhinus
3rd Dec 2007, 02:00
Generally, the organisation approved by CASA can be taken to mean Jeppesen.

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Dec 2007, 02:36
I have rang AirServices already before posting this, they were of no help what so ever as I don't think the lady knew what I meant...

You can scan your charts too and use them, but your still violating copyright by doing so, hence the requirement to go to a third party such as MapTrax to get the electronic versions of these charts.

Dropd McGutz
3rd Dec 2007, 06:16
When your say ERSA data, what do you mean exactly ??

If your looking for waypoint, navaid, airway data (because you've mentioned AsA's enroute charts) then AIP/DAH data is what your after !!

To answer your question, yes, the data is available but not from AsA.

There are a number of third party aeronautical data providers (as mentioned earlier Jeppesen is one provider) that subscribe to Aust AIP's then manually convert/code to an electronic (ARINC 424) format for FMS, flightplanning and GIS systems.

How much are you willing to pay fo it ????.........I could be convinced to help you out.....

Biggles_in_Oz
3rd Dec 2007, 08:32
The page https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/data.asp? hasn't been updated for quite a while :(
A few years ago I was quoted AUD2k :eek: for a one-off copy of their data in MS Access format.
Which, I suspect, is a major reason why the subscription rates for Jepps/Champagne/Command are so high

WannaBeBiggles
3rd Dec 2007, 09:30
Thanks for that Biggles, looks like I'll have to wait... :(

Capn Bloggs
3rd Dec 2007, 12:40
I see MGutz is back! :eek: