PDA

View Full Version : Help with keystrokes please

mcdhu
2nd Dec 2007, 19:25
I'm sure the answer to this is dead simple - but so am I!!

When I want a '@', I have to press shift and '2' and when I want a ", I have to press shift and '. I have tried all the combinations of the function keys, but can't solve it.

Please can somebody help?

Many thanks
mcdhu

frostbite
2nd Dec 2007, 20:03
What language do you have set for your computer?

bnt
2nd Dec 2007, 20:16
Yep - looks like you have the system set up for a US keyboard, but you have a UK keyboard. Assuming it's Windows, head to Control Panel / Regional & Language settings, add the UK keyboard (if necessary) and remove the US one.

mcdhu
3rd Dec 2007, 08:08
Thank you very much frostbite and bnt - removed the US keyboard that did the trick. Possibly 12 year old fingers changed it. It's a Dell inspiron laptop running Win xp and I notice under the advanced tab, all sorts of code page conversation tables boxes are ticked. Should I simplify that at all? Im in the UK

Many thanks again
mcdhu

bnt
3rd Dec 2007, 09:18
Until recently I had a work laptop which was a Tablet PC running XP. It had all some extra components - onscreen keyboards, text recognition - but for some reason it had to have the US keyboard config installed. If I took it off it would put it back on again, and if I accidentally hit the "switch" shortcut (Alt-LeftShift) it would switch. I could have disabled that, but I was also using the Japanese setup, and so I wanted that to work.

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2007, 10:28
Should I simplify that at all?

If it ain't broke... :}

SD

Loose rivets
3rd Dec 2007, 17:42
I leave both Keybs loaded. A roll of the left Alt Shif gives me £££ when I need it and # hey presto! just a touch and I'm back.

On the bottom bar there is a button EN, which shows the loaded Keybs. £££ ### yep, you can change it from the pop-up there as well.

mcdhu
3rd Dec 2007, 20:03
Thanks very much Gents for the excellent advice.

Cheers,
mcdhu