PDA

View Full Version : EK ticket prices.

BIKKERDENNAH
2nd Dec 2007, 11:13
Spent most of the morning with friends from Sydney organising tickets for 2 adults and 2 children to Dubai from Sydney return. IN ECONOMY!!!! After ringing me to ask for confirmation with disbelief at the disparity in prices!!

Emirates Airlines 17200 Australian Dollars 1 stop via BKK 1.5 hour turnaround both ways.

Cathay Pacific 12100 Australian Dollars 1 stop via HKG 3 hour turnaround both ways

Thai Airways 8300 Australian Dollars 1 stop via BKK 8 hour turnaroun on way back 2 hour turnaround way out.

Singapore Airlines 7100 Australian Dollars 1 stop via SIN 2 hour turnarounds both ways.

Who the F@#K do EK think they are. Singapore used to be my airline of choice to travel anyway and told my friends it is obviously a no brainer even if the prices were the same Singapore would still be the number 1 choice!:ok: Has EKs arrogance now led them to believe that they can supply a service that warrants tickets prices double to that of their main rivals with an inferior product!

That PR BS spin sure has millions of people hoodwinked:ok:

White Knight
2nd Dec 2007, 11:21
Don't know about arrogance here - but they charge that money because they're still filling the aeroplanes up at those prices!!!
What I want to know is where's our payrise after record profits???

whatzmyname
2nd Dec 2007, 11:30
Sydney flights are one of the many money spinner flights for EK. Those flights are always overbooked.They can charge whatever they like and get away with it because passengers keep paying those prices nevertheless....It's doing so well,they are adding an extra Sydney flight next year.

Desert Diner
2nd Dec 2007, 11:31
That PR BS spin sure has millions of people hoodwinked

Only if they pay 17200 Australian Dollars for their trip.

I'm assuming you opted for the 7100 Australian Dollar Singapore Airlines option ;)

P.S. They are all pretty inferior products in the back. At least you can be sure that the lavs should be in working order in all four of your choices:ok:

Desert Diner
2nd Dec 2007, 11:34
It's doing so well,they are adding an extra Sydney flight next year.

I would venture to say that their Sydney to UK destination fares are probably more competitvely priced.

Ramboflyer 1
2nd Dec 2007, 12:29
Like most infidels you are not wanted in Dubai, go to the UK...

Wiley
2nd Dec 2007, 13:21
it won't be the cheapest by far, but I think you'll find the SYD-LHR/LGW ticket price considerably cheaper than SYD-DXB with EK. Why do they do it that way? 'cos they can.

Wizofoz
2nd Dec 2007, 15:52
Has EKs arrogance now led them to believe that they can supply a service that warrants tickets prices double to that of their main rivals with an inferior product!

Not their arrogance, just their load factor!!

go fetch
2nd Dec 2007, 17:26
Just went on EK web site and priced these mentioned tickets for next week direct to Dubai non stop for 9500 AUD...........

whoop.whoop
2nd Dec 2007, 18:46
Here is one I was looking at recently LHR-JNB during Feb 2008
EK price LHR-JNB GBP 495.50 = AED 3730
EK price DXB-JNB AED 4200.00
Same dates
How does that work?:hmm:

PITA
2nd Dec 2007, 18:52
It works that way because EK are compeating on the LHR-JNB leg with other carriers and price accordingly.

But there is NO one else flying DXB-JNB except EK and they also price that accordingly.

EK is not the only one who plays that dirty little game, they all do.
It be...what it is.

PITA

Doors To Manuel
2nd Dec 2007, 19:18
Welcome to the heady world of airline marketing. As an illustration, if you were running a fruit and veg stall it would work like this:

Bunch of 5 bananas: $2
Bunch of 10 bananas: $1.50....but ONLY if you promise you will eat ALL of them, and you eat the first five this week and then wait at least one Saturday night before you eat the rest...oh yes, and don't throw the peel away over your left shoulder on a Tuesday unless you are standing on one leg.

Yep, it's bananas!

Eliason
2nd Dec 2007, 19:42
Just looking myself...

Well - if you book 2 months in advance (for FEB), the EK rates are 8807AUD. I found that rate for direct flights as well as flight with 1 stop.

Ok, it's still more expensive than the Singapor Airlines tickets, but nowhere close to the price you have.

Of course - if you want to fly next week, or maybe even next month, when all the "cheaper" tickets on EK are allready sold you can easily get the price up to the level you mentioned... But then again - you might just be lucky with Singapor that day... maybe a day before or after, the prices for the airlines might be reversed... :\

It's the same everywhere... a few cheap tickets to look good, a few "normal" priced ones... and then the "standard price" - high as anything...

It always pays of checking - often in Europe you fly cheaper last minute with a main carrier then some of the low cost ones... :(

vbrules
17th Dec 2007, 08:21
Disregarding ticket prices consider the following:
Seats on 777-300ER in various configurations on some airlines
Qatar - 2 Class - 335
Singapore - 3 Class - 278
Cathay Pacific - 3 Class - 301
Jet Airways - 3 Class - 312
Emirates have a variety of configs in the two Classes
3 Class 354, 358 or 364
2 Class 427 or 442
Slight Difference?

10 abreast in Economy accounts for some of this.
Enjoy your flight...on Emirates.

huckleberry58
17th Dec 2007, 10:04
DXB is their hub so they dont need to compete. If you checked the prices to SIN for example you'll find that SQ is the most expensive. Same for Thai going to BKK or CX going to HKG.

Sheikh_Yabuti
17th Dec 2007, 10:44
I checked and CX to HKG was cheaper than EK for all the dates I looked at

OMRK
17th Dec 2007, 14:10
Checked as well at the end of January to Bangkok, and EK was at around 2800 return in economy, every other company I checked was 1700-2000 including taxes.