PDA

View Full Version : Randy ambush

John Walters
2nd Dec 2007, 09:54
Just setting in to enjoy an evening with the family at the carols last night when we hear the drone of a radial engine.

Looking skyward yes we see the yellow agcat from tigermoth world coming from the east along the shore line of corio bay geelong.

Yep Randy never misses an opportunity. a bit of ambush advertising towing a very lengthy sign at no higher than 300' not quite the acceptable thing to do.

Sunfish
2nd Dec 2007, 19:54
I saw him do this at Queenscliffe last year, if I see him this year its a photo plus a report to CASA. I assume his transponder is turned off.

Crosshair
2nd Dec 2007, 20:32
You had me all excited with the thread title. "Randy Ambush," indeed.

Wingsfalloff
2nd Dec 2007, 22:39
at no higher than 300'

300ft? I love it how people think they can judge how high a plane is. Were you in the aeroplane or right beside it? These kinds of stories shouldn't leave the aero club bar

if I see him this year its a photo plus a report to CASA

And that will prove what? Unless there is a landmark of a known height in the background that it was lower than I'd think it's useless

VH-XXX
3rd Dec 2007, 00:09
Yeah, I've been there and done that before. Without a photo showing landmarks etc there's no hope. Photos are now treated with contempt until proven otherwise these days due to photo-shop etc. I know a guy who was busted by CASA for flying under the Harbour Brideg in a fabric rag and tube ultralight... turns out the photo was photo-shopped.

Have you stopped to think that perhaps it is a legal op with a low level waiver?

Sunfish
3rd Dec 2007, 01:30
All I can say is that there seems to be something in the water on the Bellarine Peninsula......

(Ex) Parachute operators who jump through cloud, caravans parked on airstrips, alleged assaults, trikes wandering around and this guy towing his banners low and slow, and you can actually hear the banner flapping. And, Yes, I can tell 500 ft, just go out the back of YMMB and watch when people start their crosswind turn, it's a lot higher than this guy flys. I try and give the place a wide berth.

And yes, he could be operating with a waver, however other posts regarding this gentleman's previous exploits makes me wonder if he would apply or receive one.

Capt Fathom
3rd Dec 2007, 02:04
And, Yes, I can tell 500 ft, just go out the back of YMMB and watch when people start their crosswind turn

How do you know they are at 500 feet?

Sunfish
3rd Dec 2007, 04:33
Captain Fathom:

How do you know they are at 500 feet?

Minimum height (AGL) to turn crosswind after takeoff, and at YMMB you can pick the right street for a C172/PA28 or C152 and simply watch.

Chocky, your a treat, you obviously don't care if GA flying is brought into disrepute by the actions of a few do you?

VH-XXX
3rd Dec 2007, 04:36
People are on the ball here. Isn't the minimum height to turn onto crosswind these days 700 ft? Or is that just CTAF's?

thunderbird five
3rd Dec 2007, 05:54
So.................. what was on the sign?:sad:

cwc
3rd Dec 2007, 06:33
The sign read......

"don't look at me, you are missing the carols, oh and in case you want to take a photo and send it to CASA I am 500ft....or am I 300ft????? hehehe...look there is santa, below me, he must be at least 250ft, take a photo of him and send it in. Oh they are singing jingle bells now you are missing out by looking at this sign"

It was a long sign, no wonder it was flapping around.

Merry Christmas, enjoy life boys.

porch monkey
3rd Dec 2007, 06:55
Ahh, nothing EVER changes down at the old three ring circus, does it....:rolleyes:

ScottyDoo
3rd Dec 2007, 08:56
you obviously don't care if GA flying is brought into disrepute by the actions of a few

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAA.................!!!!!!

Classic, Fish!

Anyway, going by the skills of your average private pilot, you would be the worst judge of "500ft" or "700ft" or any other height you might think they are attempting be at, at any point of a woeful circuit...:rolleyes:

Calibrating your eyeball by watching private pilots blundering around a circuit???

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAAAAHAHAAAAAA.........!!!!!!! :ok:

Yakfivefive
3rd Dec 2007, 18:27
Well here goes "WHO IS RANDY" (uh oh that will get some answers) but question is what is this one all about?

Notice van is still on the strip housing R Sole I suppose, you there RSOLE any more news on this VAN?

Banner towing have not seen that one for awhile!!!

Height? that's easy!!!!!!!!

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Dec 2007, 08:35
People are on the ball here. Isn't the minimum height to turn onto crosswind these days 700 ft? Or is that just CTAF's?
Operations in Class G airspace;
ENR 1.1
57.1.4 Pilots remaining in the circuit should climb to within 300FT of circuit
height before turning crosswind.

werbil
12th Dec 2007, 10:32
VH-XXX & MakeItHappenCaptain,

1 - The AIP is an INFORMATION publication and not legislation - check with your CASA safety adviser if you disagree.

2 - At an uncontrolled aerodrome CAR's say the minimum height for a turn after take off outside controlled airspace is 500 feet AGL. There is no reference to climb to within 300' of the circuit height in CAR's.

3 - In this case the AIP uses the word 'should', which the AIP defines as a recommended practice.

W

ABX
13th Dec 2007, 05:06
John et al,

Perhaps the youngsters at the Carols Night looked up in wonderment, as I used to do as a kiddo, (still do most of the time), and enjoyed the sight of a 'plane' flying overhead.

Cheers,

bluesky300
13th Dec 2007, 08:45
ABX: Hear hear! To put it in context, look at the joy on the face of my 2 yr old when he sees a 'nnnnnnoooowwwww' go over.

MakeItHappenCaptain
13th Dec 2007, 10:36
1 - The AIP is an INFORMATION publication and not legislation - check with your CASA safety adviser if you disagree.
2 - At an uncontrolled aerodrome CAR's say the minimum height for a turn after take off outside controlled airspace is 500 feet AGL. There is no reference to climb to within 300' of the circuit height in CAR's.
3 - In this case the AIP uses the word 'should', which the AIP defines as a recommended practice.
W
Yeah and CAAPs are also advisory, but operate outside that recommendation and something goes wrong and you better have a good reason why you weren't following procedure. Check with your CASA safety advisor if you disagree.:E
If these recommendations are followed by all, a safer environment results because people expect to see others following these procedures. Less chance of having nasty surprises sprung on them. (Don't even start with some line of complacency bullsh:mad:t.) Cowboys make up their own rules.:=

werbil
15th Dec 2007, 10:34
MakeItHappenCaptain,

The question was about the rules not the recommendations. CASA is quite happy to accept alternatives to CAAP's providing that they provide an equivalent level of safety.

A circuit at 1000'AGL in some locations will put you in controlled airspace.

Blindly following recommendations can be counterproductive to safety and/or against the rules.

MakeItHappenCaptain
16th Dec 2007, 04:56
We could both sit here all day and come up with cases both for and against. Just sick of people who are so closed to changes in procedure they don't even look at the reasons behind the changes because "thats the way I've always done it and I ain't changing!" More like "couldn't be bothered reading what the changes are or it's too hard to modify learned behaviour."

If a recommendation doesn't work operationally at one aerodrome, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't follow them at others.