PDA

View Full Version : Article on Crew Cost cutting in India

Nevrekar
2nd Dec 2007, 01:45
When crew cuts raise hackles
2 Dec 2007, 0300 hrs IST,Shobha John,T

With constant reports of pilot shortage, you think this is a good time to fly, isn't it? Not if you are a co-pilot with a low-cost carrier (LCC). The hard truth is that the sheen is slowly wearing off in what used to be a high-flying and glamorous career. With increasing number of co-pilots in the market and airlines going through various air pockets, costs are being cut, especially privileges enjoyed by this community.

"Things are going from bad to worse," says Gautam Singh*, a young pilot from SpiceJet. "But if I leave, there are 10 freshers waiting to take my place." But isn't there a shortage of pilots? "Yes, but that's more for commanders, not co-pilots. Many students who had gone to Canada and US to learn flying, are now coming back for jobs here." The DGCA couldn't give immediate figures of the number of commanders and co-pilots India has. These pilots aver that whereas earlier it was Open Sesame for them in airlines, now there are interviews, psychometry tests, medicals, etc. "Things have become tougher," they say. Also, if there's a shortage, how are airlines such as SpiceJet deputing co-pilots to others such as Oman Air, AI Express, etc, they ask.

Those who are already flying are feeling the pinch. But more than the withdrawal of privileges, it's the manner in which these are taken away that's hurting them. The erstwhile Air Sahara is a case in point. Five star luxury, business class travel, fabulous allowances, few questions asked....But in its new avatar, Jetlite, things changed and few could digest the downgrading. Few were in the knowhow of things.

The four areas where these first officers are feeling the heat are: Flying hours, hotel accommodation, allowances and perks.

Flying hours/salary

Nishant Gupta, who's with SpiceJet says, "I joined here 18 months back. Initially, when there was pilot shortage, I would fly 120 hours a month. My best salary till date is Rs 2.4 lakh net. I now barely fly 45-50 hours. My salary varies between Rs 1.20-1.30 lakh. I feel helpless as I've spent Rs 32 lakh on becoming a pilot and can't leave yet."

Rahul Sinha, Jetlite, is in a similar predicament. "Earlier, I would fly over 80 hours a month. But with more and more co-pilots joining, that's reduced to 55-60 hours. From Rs 1.6 lakh, my salary has come down to Rs 1.2 lakh. We're told we aren't the only ones who need to be flying; there're expats too."

Another issue irking SpiceJet pilots is a five-year bond they signed with the company when they got trained on Boeing planes. "All companies have a reducing bond wherein we give dated cheques to them. But with more co-pilots entering the market, we have to give undated cheques and the bond doesn't reduce with time," alleges Gupta.

In IndiGo, say sources, the salary of co-pilots is dependent on the company's fortunes. Average salaries here were among the highest — Rs 1.8 lakh. These have now come down to Rs 1.2-1.35 lakh.

Hotel accommodation

Co-pilots till recently were used to the high life of five star hotels — Marriott, Taj Palace, Oberoi....But that's a thing of the past. They've now been downgraded to four/three star hotels and even to guest houses. "In June, SpiceJet moved us to guest houses in Hyderabad.

Imagine flying the same plane as your commander, going through the same stress as him and seeing him go off to a five star, while you keep waiting an hour for your car to take you to a guest house. That's humiliating," says Gupta. "And that's because the demand for us has gone down. I don't mind getting less salary, but treat me with respect. I envy my colleagues in IA and AI."

In Jetlite too, these pilots have been mostly shifted to 3-4 star hotels. Commanders and expats continue in five stars. Ditto for IndiGo.

This downgrading started with cabin crew first. Reduced salaries and accommodation, fewer international flights and layovers and a feeling of not being wanted.

Allowances

Talk about dressing down. In SpiceJet, says Gupta, only two pieces of clothing can be given for laundry while they're outstation. "Our meal allowance is Rs 1,300 daily. That's not enough," he says. Also, leave which could be encashed, some 10 days, has been withdrawn.

These first officers in LCCs fear for their own future with the influx of more and more freshers. "They'll be willing to work for less money simply to get the experience. If those starting airlines don't have money to run it, why did they get into this business?" they ask.

Most would like to change over to regular carriers. But there's a catch. Any pilot wanting to leave his parent organisation has to first serve a six-month notice. But which airline will wait that long for him? "These moves are hurting the pilot community. If we've to serve this notice period as per DGCA norms, why is it turning a Nelson's eye when airlines are tightening the screws on us," asks one aggrieved pilot.

Another reason for airlines' change of heart is the losses they're making. Take AI. It's losses have been pegged at nearly Rs 850 cr. Most airlines would be in a similar boat. So despite the consternation of these pilots, perhaps some of these cost-cutting measures are imperative.

And it's hitting commanders too. "Allowances for training commanders while abroad have been reduced from around $200 daily to $110," says a Jetlite commander. Also, there are no confirmed business class seats for them. It'll depend on availability, otherwise, fly economy. "As slots have been booked for training on simulators abroad at the rate of $300-400 per hour, they can't afford to delay their going. But while returning, even an economy ticket isn't assured," he claims.

Unable to digest these measures, many pilots have resigned over the last few months. "An unhappy pilot is also a dangerous one," says another. There is also a move among these pilots to start a welfare association. How far that would work is anyone's guess, though.

Note: Names have been changed to protect identities.

speedtwoten
2nd Dec 2007, 02:26
Nevrekar, yes it happen with Jet Lite they have change the apartement for expat to more cheaper apartement in Kolkata, can't imagine living in Kolkata which I believe the cheapest city in India and still to move to more cheaper place, but why they not use the same way like Jet Airways to theirs expat give them the housing allowance (a fair allowance) and let them find their own apartement :confused:or if they can't pay to hire expat anymore give them their NOC let them go somewhere in India where the company can give them a good place to live, instead waiting to the expat to resign so that they have reason not to give NOC, this is the unfair and bad mentallity of Indians at least Jet Lite management, I think we must open to every expat about the real condition in India, so that they know what happen actually in India before they come, they have choice to fly right now, Middle East, China is offering better than India:ok:

C433
2nd Dec 2007, 02:42
The reality is where else in the world would a very inexperienced low hour pilot with 250 hours total get a First Officers job on an A320 or B737?
Wake up and smell the coffee. Everywhere else in the world to obtain an F/O's position in an airline flying jets you require between 3000 - 5000 hours. This is more experience than the majority of the F/O's upgrading to Captain in India.
My feeling is the attitude of some of the 20 year olds with 250 hours flying jets needs a total readjustment! The term flying I use very lightly as their hands on skills certainly don't match their self claimed expertise or elevated egos.
This is a little harsh I know, don't get me wrong there are a lot of young level headed, good handling pilots out there.
My feeling is all these inexperienced pilots should start on turbo props. Not that the turbo prop is any easier to fly, it will give them good handling and experience to move up to a jet.
I speak from experience being a current examiner in an Indian Airline.
Happy Landings. :D

Rotorhead1026
2nd Dec 2007, 05:44
Agreed on the F/O's ... most are level-headed, try hard, and are aware of their limitations and are willing to learn. They do a good job relative to their experience level. Nevertheless ...

I experienced the tail end of dereg. in the US - three mergers and a layoff. Now a guy who got into the right seat of a Boeing - at 250 hours!!!!!! - is complaining about a guest house. To be sure, for him it's a comedown, but pardon me if I break out laughing. You ain't seen nothing yet, pal. I sincerely "feel your pain", but you've got a lot further to fall.

Oh, and the comment about going through the same stress as the captain was a classic!

Wait until the CEO of Jet / Sahara (JetLite) realizes he can play off two employee groups against each other. The fun is just beginning! :*

scorpilot
2nd Dec 2007, 06:02
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=302716

please refer to the thread above, the same is happening in the regional airlines in the US too!...its all about demand and supply at the end of the day...

the only point I would like to stress is that you really cant blame the 200 hrs guys ( i was one 4 yrs back) for aspiring for the rhs on a jet as unlike in the US, there are hardly any jobs in between....the corporate sector/ga has just picked up steam...and flight instructor salaries have become respectable now thanks to the demand.

what we need is cadet programmes which Spice and KF have already started so that there is standardisation and control of training at the ab initio stage itself . my sympathies with the expats flying with Jetlite and the f/o's in Spice
holed up at guesthouses while the cabin crew and captain stay at the five star!.....just to remind everyone without sounding anti-pilot, the airline has to make money to dole out goodies to us and that Air Sahara is no more!!!

speedtwoten
2nd Dec 2007, 06:27
and that Air Sahara is no more!!!

who told you that??? go to the Jet Lite office in Delhi Mahipalpur and look inside even Rajeev Gupta and Garry Kingshoot turn to be one of them, Naresh Goyal just watching from his London Office:\

kargokobra
2nd Dec 2007, 18:34
New managers in flight ops. TWO senior TRE put in their in there papers. In protest I think,more are planning.
They have lost 6 pilots to corporate, 10 senior pilots to QR , 8 to Kingfisher ,6 to AI Express,2 recently to some cargo outfit in B'lore, the list goes on & on.
Very soon Mr.Gupta & Kingshot will have trouble on their selection of a very able Chief-Pilot,known for his short throttle to bottle or it is other way round bottle to throttle time.
Even tea-bags are given - One per crew per sector.

speedtwoten
3rd Dec 2007, 03:42
Very soon Mr.Gupta & Kingshot will have trouble on their selection of a very able Chief-Pilot

the man who was very relief in this business is Mr. Subroto Roy;), do you belive that the GM. Project & Planning will be the next CEO replacing Rajeev Gupta and Gary Kingshoot:{

flightknight
3rd Dec 2007, 06:14
Is it true that the DGCA is introducing a requirement for expats to do the indian medical ?.

NGFellow
5th Dec 2007, 01:59
These guys are barely able to keep up with the growth. I doubt that they will take on the additional burden of medicals for the 800 odd expat pilots in India. It's their choice I guess. They will just be shooting themselves in the foot. My friends at Spice tell me the guy(Ranga something) that was the cause of NGExpat and another guy to lose their FATA actually also lost his medical as well. So if he can't fly, why allow others to? This is the same guy who thinks he is some kind of aviation expert (in his own mind). He was responsible for shutting down a perfectly good engine on the NG b/c he thought he had a fuel leak. He actually had an imbalance which he was told about, and chose to ignore it. Spicejet fired him and so now he leaks stuff to the press to suit his agenda.

speedtwoten
5th Dec 2007, 06:01
He was responsible for shutting down a perfectly good engine on the NG b/c he thought he had a fuel leak. He actually had an imbalance which he was told about,:\ this typical most locals pilot I flown with they do before they think, always in the hurry I don't know why:=

Rotorhead1026
5th Dec 2007, 06:07
I have not heard that rumor at all. The f/o's tell me that scheduling a medical is something of a nightmare, and sometimes the date (s) are changed at the last minute. It seems the subject is off the schedule as long as four days for the exam (counting travel). Multiply that by 800+ expats - many of whom are flying 100 hrs / month - and you've got a big mess. Somebody may WISH this would happen, but I don't think it will. Then again, you never know ...

It'll be great fun to watch if it's implemented <snicker>. We'll need more expats to replace the ones' who are taking medicals, who will themselves need medicals, who will ...

Maybe they'll bring in expat doctors who can give the exams.

NG ExPat
5th Dec 2007, 16:26
Just made a note to myself to be sure and send Mr. Ranganathan a Christmas Card. Hopefully very soon, he will be living on the street real near the rock that he originally climbed out from under.

kargokobra
6th Dec 2007, 07:02
Shocking they have no SOP's & old Boeing procedures. GM ( P&P ) is not the future CEO as managment knows about his Kolkatta service-apartments for pilots scam,expat-pilot scam & his weakness for the bottle. His last sim was a diaster , he crashed on all go-around. Now he is trying for TRE on 737. He is not the only diaster waiting to happen in Jetlite there are many more. Hopes are on new training mgr. I had a offer to join but not with the present set up even if they pay me double.

speedtwoten
6th Dec 2007, 08:52
""MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY this Jet Lite flight request to crash in front of Jet Airways office""

His last sim was a diaster , he crashed on all go-around. Now he is trying for TRE on 737

you are right do not joint Jet Lite until they change the management completely:{

STVINCENT
6th Dec 2007, 12:18
That's interesting.