PDA

View Full Version : Al Ain Airshow - Worth going to?

Mister Geezer
1st Dec 2007, 22:15
Just wondering it is worth the effort to pop along to the Al Ain Airshow which I see is in Jan 08.

Is it mostly light aircraft aeros or is there a mix of stuff to see?

Cheers

Jetjock330
2nd Dec 2007, 01:47
Al Ain Airshow is great. I don't think these guys ever opened an airlaw book in their lives, and this made for a wonderful exciting show.

Suhkoi 27, A332 (world record formation flight:E) F16, Mirage, Beriev Fire Bomber, thrilling aerobatic displays that top out at 300 ft (at the top, yes, anyone remember the Stearman two years back touching the desert floor on the round out from the loop)

Personally, I enjoyed every minute of the flying at the airshow, just a pity we will miss Buldog in future!

I remember the Apache coming over and doing a few basic things followed by some German Private Pilot in his Hughes 500c doing loops and giving a real show, that made the Apache look silly for the day.

The show has been different and great, but not sure what happens in the future of this 4 day event.:ok:

Wizofoz
2nd Dec 2007, 03:58
Seconded. World class in the American mould of having Airshow Acts rather than Aircraft displays.

Very glad I got to see Jim before he did his last fling. Hope they have as good as a replacement (Sean Tucker or Patty Wagstaff come to mind.)

Best 25Dhs you'll ever spend.

Dixons Cider
2nd Dec 2007, 05:44
just being lazy so dont throw things at me - but when is it on?

Dixons Cider
2nd Dec 2007, 06:55
ok got it. 24-27 Jan.

fractional
2nd Dec 2007, 11:58
Just go for it. WX is usually fantastic.

Mister Geezer
3rd Dec 2007, 23:27
Thanks - will make the effort to try and go? Is there a better day out of the 4 to go if you had to choose?

Chippyfan
4th Dec 2007, 18:58
I received the flyer today
Al Ain Air Show 2008 (http://www.aeroimage.co.uk/English-flyer.jpg)
CF

Wizofoz
26th Jan 2008, 06:44
Just to prove it, some photos from the show!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/RossFW/Neuiport.jpg

A replica Tummelisa Biplane from Swedan

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/RossFW/WingWalker.jpg

Peggy Krantz Wing Walker from Austria

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/RossFW/SU31.jpg

Jurgis Kairys in an SU 31

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/RossFW/Pitts.jpg

Skip Stewart from the US put on a suitably hair raising display in a modified Pitts

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii145/RossFW/Hawks.jpg

Royal Saudi Hawks put on a great display.

Great show!!

ekwhistleblower
26th Jan 2008, 07:43
Mr G,

Another view, I went yesterday and yep it is mostly lighties with a couple of jets. After many years of attending airshows, it doesn't really impress me anymore. The rules have tightened up considerably and some of the shows are not that competent.

When Jim (RIP) Leroy was there a couple of years ago, he gave the best display I have ever seen in the Bulldog Pitts. The Saudis did a decent job with their Hawks but there were also a hell of a lot of gap fillers and lack of variety. Seen one Extra or Pitts, you have seen pretty much most and it does get repetitive. Lets face it, at a big european airshow, the Extra display is normally a chance for a quick hotdog before the heavy metal gets flying again. Even a 10 yr old boy that loves planes got bored after a couple of hours. The sideshows were pretty naff and you can't get to the flightline to see the take-offs and landings because the runway is on the other side of the site.

If you are a conessure of aerobatic lighties you will love it, if you need the sound of freedom to float your boat it will probably be a little disappoining. That said its nice to get out of DXB.

Just another opinion....

EGGW
26th Jan 2008, 07:58
I agree, probably past its sell by date. Unless they revitalise the format, with perhaps some WW2 warbirds or similar. Quiet period in Europe during the winter, most warbird operators would jump at the chance, given enough $$$.

EGGW

Fart Master
26th Jan 2008, 09:15
I went yesterday, and while there is no min altitudes, I thought overall it was very average, a bit like your local village trying to do an airshow.

I did have to laugh at the 'food court' with its one small outlet.

And what the hell were those guys on the BMX's there for.

puff m'call
26th Jan 2008, 17:40
Went today, bit on the boring side to be honest.:(

Great aero's and some impressive flying as one would expect from world champ pilots. As FM said though a bit like your local village fate.

What hacked me off the most was the bloody security, though Bush must have been there, never seen so many police at a village show.:ugh:

Dixons Cider
26th Jan 2008, 18:06
Went today, got to agree with wizzo - it was a bloody good show.

Not much from the heavy, noisy and fast brigade, the Saudi hawks were about the extent of it. However I think thats I enjoyed it, ie everything was in tight and low.

Skip Stenson in the pseudo Pitts, and the Bo 105 helo aeros had to be the show stealers from where I sat.

Yes however, agreed - the behind stands area left a bit to be desired, but who cares! A great day in the sun!

planecrazi
26th Jan 2008, 19:52
Enjoyed certain parts, when compared to the first two years. I didn't enjoy watching the wizards and loops and loops and loops and loops that just never ended.

Skip, Red Bull Helicopter, Bleriot and sister biplane (small tom thumb, 80hp thing ), were wonderful for the total of 30 minutes, but was bored with the rest of the 6 hours time fillers.:zzz:

Must say, the original aviator chasing the meat behind an R/C aircraft was interesting to see, for the first time. especially when it decided to break lose and chase some pigeons near the fuel tanks! Those guys must have bee sweating to see $100000 bird chase some "local bird"!:}

maverick_daeu
27th Jan 2008, 06:26
the friday show wasn't too bad
as FM said, looks more like a local village having an airshow except with the beefed up security thing.
the vip enclosure has its own car exhibition running with all the sheikh's modified audis, porsches and nissan patrols.
the chalets have their fair share of good tasting food fresh from al ain hilton.
the starbucks at the foodcourt too was making quick bucks off scores of people waiting to get their fix of java.
i personally found some (but not all) of the aircraft performing interesting manouvers (dunno if they realised that they were breaking some airlaws....not if they didn't have any in the first place)

bigmanatc
28th Jan 2008, 07:03
And which air laws would you be referring to....?

deepbluesomethin
28th Jan 2008, 07:25
my first aerobatics show...was left awestruck @ the pitts take off..waiting for the next 1 in al ain..