PDA

View Full Version : Dog puzzles

fernytickles
1st Dec 2007, 14:36
Serious puzzles which keep me awake for hours at night....

1. Anyone have any idea why our dog always sneezes about 20 seconds after she rolls on her back to have her tummy tickled?

2. Her nose is black in summer, but has now gone pink/light brown for the winter. Any ideas why? Summer suntan?

BlueDiamond
1st Dec 2007, 14:53
Don't know about the sneezing but sometimes a dog's nose will go lighter in the colder weather, then returns to its darker shade in summer. I'm not sure why this happens but it does. Also ... there can be a component of certain plastics that will also cause this change if a dog has plastic feeding bowls. This component creates a reaction that causes the colour change. Try using glass, ceramic or matal bowls and see if it makes any difference. My guess though is that it's just the cold weather.

Did this happen last year in winter?

fernytickles
1st Dec 2007, 15:04
She arrived in mid-November last year, and her nose was black when she arrived, changing to pink as the weather changed.

Maybe I've discovered a new weather forecasting method..... if her nose stays black, its summer, and if it goes pink, its winter? Just incase the OAT didn't give me a hint to which season we are in...... ;)

BlueDiamond
1st Dec 2007, 15:36
There ya go ... a four-legged weather predictor!! :) :ok:

matt_hooks
1st Dec 2007, 15:44
The sneezing thing. Now I'm not a vet, and therefore am completely unqualified to comment, so in best JB fashion I shall.

A dogs nose is a fairly lengthy tunnel filled with extremely sensitive sensory cells and fine hairs and such.

Now, when said tunnel is not in its proper orientation, i.e. open end pointed to the ground, gravity has funny effects on the mucous and other various liquids within the cavity, causing them to, quite literally, rub the hairs up the wrong way.

The noses natural method of clearing excess liquids, snot etc. from the nasal passages is to expel them with great force by rapid, involuntary expulsion of air, sic. a sneeze.

It's either that or she just enjoys coating everything in the vicinity in a fine layer of snot.

I prefer the latter explanation!

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2007, 17:37
Some canines I have known were subject to sneezing when 'excited' - ie when greeting a human that had returned after a period of absence - which involved bouncing around.
The excitement is, in itself, a puzzle. What catalyses this response - after all they don't usually act so enthusiastically when you return from another room or from the garden (unless said creature suffers from severe separation disorder)?

frostbite
1st Dec 2007, 18:04
A local doctor had a dachshund with short legs. Even for a dachshund the poor things legs were short.

When it sneezed it would bang its nose on the floor, which made it sneeze. which made it bang........ you get the picture. The only way to stop this cycle was to pick it up.

Sometimes the doctor and his wife would return from shopping to find a near exhausted dog wheezing into the carpet.

dontpressthat
1st Dec 2007, 18:25
Crackin little story frostbite.. dinnarf make me giggle!!

Just for the record, I think matt is barking up the right tree:}.. as the master of several grubby little mutts over the years I would say snot type stuff sliding back down rovers beak is the most likely cause of the goo fountain. All of my little beasts do exactly the same and if you happen to be to close when they go pop a face full of dogsnot is coming your way!!

DPT

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Dec 2007, 18:30
Wolf has a very sensitive nose and will sneeze a few times if it's bumped. A soft tap produces one sneeze but if I stop suddenly and he runs into me it brings on around three or four good sneezes.

Arriving home to synchronised widdling has to be one of the best ego boosts ever.:ok:

Foss
1st Dec 2007, 18:51
My Idiot canine companion has a sneeze routine.
I have, shock, gone for the paper. Walk up the drive.
'OH MY GOD YOU'RE BACK PERMISSION TO WOOF.'

aye fine woof away I don't care anymore
Then a sneeze, a tremble from the tail, which develops into a shake of the body, a quite severe head shake and a proper
sneeze
Fos

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2007, 18:57
ie when greeting a human that had returned after a period of absence - which involved bouncing around.

Why did this human bounce around during their period of absence?:}

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2007, 19:00
Sneezing in humans can be a reaction to sudden sexual excitement. The widening of the airways, in anticipation of needing a good airflow, is fairly standard trigger for the reaction. :8

I sneeze every time the Rivetess rolls me on my back and tickles my tummy.:p

DX Wombat
1st Dec 2007, 19:02
Her nose is black in summer, but has now gone pink/light brown for the winter. Any ideas why? Summer suntan?You are probably not too wide of the mark with that idea. She is probably producing more melanin to protect the exposed skin area of her nose. As a West Indian friend of mine will tell you, even she goes a darker shade when exposed to sunshine over a period of time.

pigboat
1st Dec 2007, 19:04
...if her nose stays black, its summer, and if it goes pink, its winter?

An important scientific discovery. Please advise Al Gore and David Suzuki immediately. :p

Howard Hughes
1st Dec 2007, 20:51
Maybe I've discovered a new weather forecasting method..... if her nose stays black, its summer, and if it goes pink, its winter? Just incase the OAT didn't give me a hint to which season we are in......
It's Ground DOG day...;)

I've never said this before but OK, hat, coat door...

Rather be Gardening
2nd Dec 2007, 13:37
I've wondered about my dog's habit of sleeping on his back with his paws in the air. He's quite a large hound, so he has to turn his neck to the side to be able to balance in this road-kill position. Seems to me that this isn't a very wolfy thing to do, baring his throat and ..... other things ..... to any passing predator. :uhoh:

uklocations
2nd Dec 2007, 13:43
Round these parts, the fog tends to linger in the dog's ears and snouts, causing all sorts of problems.

Jimmy Macintosh
2nd Dec 2007, 21:46
On the topic of sneezing...

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/2006/10/video_baby_pand_1.html

uklocations
3rd Dec 2007, 02:48
and there hair's a bit curly when they get wet:)