PDA

View Full Version : PPrune making the news

Inca_Gold01
1st Dec 2007, 12:17
Don't know if this already been posted but in todays times on page32

"Nervous flyers may wish to avoid the Professional Pilots Rumour Network site, or PPrune, a compendium of near-misses and general airborne incompetence. In fact, anybody planning to set foot on a plane may wish to steer clear.
Take for example, the flight acoss american midwest that was hit by what the FAA site calls "a vibration in the No2 engine". For vibration read explosion, say those who were present - about 25,000feet up.
PPrune points us to the flightstory blog for an eyewitness account. "We all thought we were going to die" says Jen. "We said our goodbyes. There was an explosion and holes in teh right engine with something sharp still sticking out... A big chunk of the engine flew off and luckily it went away from the aircraft because if it came towards us, we wouldn't be here".

Then gives the link to here

Life's a Beech
1st Dec 2007, 13:05
Some people have no imagination. That story clearly shows that even the worst aircraft problems are usually survivable. Jen thought she was about to die. But she didn't.

fernytickles
1st Dec 2007, 13:31
"a compendium of near-misses and general airborne incompetence"
Typical - the author missed all the important parts of pprune, like The Idiot, infact the whole of JB....:ok:

Peter Fanelli
1st Dec 2007, 14:03
I guess the new owner of PPRuNe are really getting the message out and getting the site known to the public.

Better start watching what you say lest you be quoted where you don't want to be.

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2007, 14:25
Better start watching what you say lest you be quoted where you don't want to be.

Such as:- http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3741725&postcount=11

Davaar
1st Dec 2007, 14:36
This:

UNQUOTE

would be nothing new.

From time to time I have wanted to check on a fact, perhaps obscure, so for a first step I turn to Google.

I am never quite sure whether to be gratified or horrified when it cites authority: Yup! PPRuNe, posting by one Davaar. I was able to do later research on at least one (to do this I had to order in a fifty-year old book from Paris) and I know now that although my first "authoritative statement" was correct in substance my quotation was inaccurate in detail, and I do not know how to correct it.

matt_hooks
1st Dec 2007, 14:40
I am never quite sure whether to be gratified or horrified when it cites authority: Yup! PPRuNe, posting by one Davaar.

Ah, well it must be gospel then.

You know, a few tanatlising factoids mixed with an unhealthy dose of legend and a good smattering of moralisation. :E:E:E

Davaar
1st Dec 2007, 14:45
The tanatlising will get them every time.

matt_hooks
1st Dec 2007, 14:47
What can I say, I was up at three ack emma providing taxi services to my cousin to get to Stansted airport.

Is that like tanalising?

B Sousa
1st Dec 2007, 14:47
Must be new owners, I havent been suspended lately........

Davaar
1st Dec 2007, 14:48
Don't know. I may occasionally tanatlise, but I never tanalise.

matt_hooks
1st Dec 2007, 14:49
Lord preserve us! :E:E:E

Davaar
1st Dec 2007, 15:14
We need not trouble the Lord. A dictionary will do the job for you.

BombayDuck
1st Dec 2007, 16:03
Welcome back, El Capitaine - nice to see you!

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2007, 19:27
Why should people be afraid to read pprune? Could it be that the aviation fraternity don't live up to their childhood images? Steely eyed, squared jawed, sun-bronzed Sky Gods?

Well, most of us are, but just a few fall short of the mark.

I for one am immune from any form of criticism when it comes to idiosyncrasy.

Having lived the majority of my life in Frinton, where Kings took their mistresses, and dowager ladies (really) thought they didn't need driver's licenses if they stayed within 'The Gates', I have the perfect excuse for taking my personal interpretation of reality with me into aviation.

I could never fully understand why the aircraft -- and its passengers, couldn't wait for me to arrive at the airport. Why should I, when all science tells us it's a true and certain fact -- that rushing is bad for you, harm my health by not taking a walk on the beach shortly before a flight. Just because a few souls are waiting, seems scant reason for rushing.

Likewise, when finally in my official seat, why should not all duties and emergency actions be carried out in a leisurely manner? Why should I rush? Time for a cup of Number One's best coffee, and then, and only then, do we start finding out why the wing is on fire. Any haste, at least to a gentleman, is deemed positively unseemly.

The public needs to get things straight. We are not there to provide a service to them. They are there to provide enough petrol or Jet fuel to allow us to play with our toys. Their taxes, will I'm sure, provide us with enough concrete to practice our landings.

There are those among us that would like aviation to be presented to the public in a professional manner. I'm glad to say that there are only three such people, and the rest are reassuringly normal.

Airplanes are flown by ordinary people. Some of them even have a daft sense of humor. More than a few can't spell to save their lives and almost none of them could pass muster on "Are You Smarter than a 5th-Grader?".

The funny thing is, if you put aviation into the hands of an entirely different kind of person, the attrition rate would be horrific. Aircrew have evolved, they are like they are because they have to be. just try putting Mr Sensible-Person in an office that was flailing about and having bits of it blown away by bolts from Zeus' sward. They wouldn't like it...at all...not even a little bit.

So, leave aviation to the Zaney, Off-Beat, Nutters that love having stuff like that happen to them. It has taken generations to make them perfect for the job...leave them be.

Rainboe
1st Dec 2007, 20:14
Aircrew have evolved, they are like they are because they have to be. just try putting Mr Sensible-Person in an office that was flailing about and having bits of it blown away by bolts from Zeus' sward. They wouldn't like it...at all...not even a little bit.

In my days with a former very large British Airline, one pilot wrote in to a manager complaining about the dirty flightdecks, to which the reply came back in a flight crew forum that we pilots were 'dirty' and made the flight decks filthy ourselves! I responded that one morning, I was going to come into his office and catapult it up to 160 kts, throw it into the air, rock it about 30 degrees either side and pitch it up and down at 500mph while he was trying to eat a meal on his lap, then throw it into the ground at 150mph and brake it to a halt, then come in and see if he'd spilt his coffee and biscuits!

He didn't reply.

Buster Hyman
2nd Dec 2007, 00:45
Might I suggest, then, that we delete all reference to the Thronomeister in previous and new posts? The aviation industry does not need any bad press if news about the viability of the Thronomeister on modern commercial airliners becomes public knowledge!

:=

matt_hooks
2nd Dec 2007, 00:48
Is part of that pioneering aviation mentality poking grumpy bears with sticks?

Loose rivets
2nd Dec 2007, 04:36
Might I suggest, then, that we delete all reference to the Thronomeister in previous and new posts? The aviation industry does not need any bad press if news about the viability of the Thronomeister on modern commercial airliners becomes public knowledge!

Tell me again who it was it that posted references to the Thronomeister in previous and new posts? :hmm:

Life's a Beech
2nd Dec 2007, 11:35
No, Loose, we can't even mention the TM, or we might worry the p - u - b - l - i - c. Shhhhhh!

gingernut
2nd Dec 2007, 12:40
The Times interview is 'nowt new, simillar review in my little "guide to the internet," pocket book purchased aproximately 6-7 years ago.

And no mention of a Shed anywhere.

Pass me the Star:)

Blacksheep
2nd Dec 2007, 14:11
Well, I still fly regularly. Despite my inside knowledge... :rolleyes:

Radar66
2nd Dec 2007, 16:36
pax-ing it to Oslo next weekend via the British Airlines with nary a worry! ;)

uklocations
2nd Dec 2007, 16:55
C, the chances of you snuffin' it in an air crash, are so remote that it's not worth thinkin' about. Bon Voyage:)