PDA

View Full Version : Brit Expat pilot in India

Roja
30th Nov 2007, 23:09
Hello all

It's possible I may be moving to India for a flying job in the very near future, could anyone explain the process of having a Indian Licence issued on the basis of my UK Frozen ATPL (A) ?

Also what is the flying like out there with regards to airways flying and air traffic control etc etc, how much does it differ from flying in the UK ?

Thanks

Roja

HolyMoley
1st Dec 2007, 09:41
Well, first of all you need an employment visa. You need the contract from the Indian company to get this. Make sure it has an 'E' on it! You then need to fill in a large number of forms, send them off, do them again because they weren't exactly right, send them off again, wait a couple of weeks not being sure if they got there or not and then give up and assume they did.
Then you arrive in India and you may well have a week or so's grund school preparing you for the DGCA interview for validation of your licence. Apparently they can ask you any questions about air rules in India, the ops manual, company procedures or type technical stuff. In reality they probably won't if they find some problem with your papers. If you are over 40 make sure that your medical is well in is first six months of validity, because they've just decided that they won't accept an annual one. Then they'll want to see your validation letter from the CAA. You'll say "they won't issue me one, they'll only send it direct to a national authority if they request it". They'll say "we don't do that, you have to provide it". Spend a week ringing everyone you can think of to sort this out.
Ten days later find that it's somehow 'sorted', and you get a 'FATA' number which is a validation of you UK licence. Then spend two weeks alternately sitting waiting for scheduling to ring you or doing a few familiarisation flights. Think "how the heck will I understand this R/T?" and "why do people put up with these airports and the delays?".
Have a day off and try to visit somewhere by road or train, then realise why everyone wants to fly.
Then get checked out or released for training and, if you've flown in Europe, marvel at the lack of traffic (except at Mumbai and Delhi), realise that the R/T's not that bad, your colleagues very pleasant (especially the cabin crew!), the ground staff efficient and you're no longer scared witless on the road to work.
At least that's how it worked for me!

Roja
1st Dec 2007, 09:52
Thanks for the informed reply !

So as am still in the UK, do you think it would be a good idea for me to call the CAA to get a validation letter ?

What other paper work did you have to supply, I have looked on their website where it says you have to give documents proving qualifications in Maths and Physics ( my worst subjects at school ), have you had the interview yet ? if so what were the questions like ? what about the exams can anyone shed some light on this ? are they like the JAR exams ?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Roja

HolyMoley
2nd Dec 2007, 11:11
If you have a UK licence I don't believe you have to do any exams, except the Air Regulation (Air Law) exam. I think you came across the rules of conversion for an Indian national who's done their training abroad.
As for the verification, you can try your best, but I would have thought the agency/TRTO you're with should be able to do this on your behalf, or are youindependent? What type are you rated on, to give me a clue?

Roja
2nd Dec 2007, 14:57
thanks again for the response !

you have a PM, Sir !

Roja