PDA

View Full Version : The joy of online grocery shopping...

Bluesteel705
30th Nov 2007, 19:48
This week I thought I'd spare myself a journey into the rainswept expanse of the steel city and order my shopping from Asda.com.

Everything went well at first, shopping arrived tonight at 4:30 as promised, BUT, on closer inspection around a third of it was missing.

Not to worry I thought, it must be on the van still, never mind I'll just call the helpline and they'll sort it :ok:

After 11 minutes I finally get through (To India :}) after having to confirm variously:

My date of birth.

Address,

Email,

Mobile phone number,

Unique customer number,

Order number,

I'm told that India will have to call the store itself so they can call the driver to call me to tell me if he has my stuff and if he's coming with it. After swearing on the eyes of her first born child that she will call me back when she finds out, I settle down to wait..... and wait..... and wait....

After 2 hours I ring up to see whats happened,

India: "Oh yes, we rang the store 2 hours ago but no-one picked up......"

Me "Ok.....so....?"

India: "Uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll try again in a bit and call you back either way"

2 hours later I ring them back and the same thing happens again :ugh

So know Im left with feeling that it would have been quicker to go myself. (And still without my ice-cream and beer :*)

Am I alone in this, or is this the general standard of online grocery shopping?
Bluesteel :ok:

Foxy Loxy
30th Nov 2007, 19:50
They forgot your BEER?????!!! omygod, that's SERIOUS!! What are you gonna do?

Foxy

Standard Noise
30th Nov 2007, 20:18
Demand compensayshun! In beer, natch.

DrPat
30th Nov 2007, 20:38
The one and only time I did some online grocery shopping the order was sent to the "wrong store" to be picked apparently and therefore couldn't be delivered. Took me 6 weeks to get a refund :mad: and it's an experience I certainly won't be repeating :} Stick to the stores - especially if beer is involved!!

Howard Hughes
30th Nov 2007, 20:42
Confucious say: "A fool and his beer are quickly parted"!;)

On a serious note, I have neer tried it myself, always worried about getting thre week old fruit, picked out by some spotty sixteen year old who hasn't washed their hands...:eek:

PS: Does your local Botttle-O (off licence) deliver? I prefer this method for 'important' supplies, you can get their direct number too, just in case!:ok:

flighing pig
30th Nov 2007, 20:53
That was before they invented off licences. Unless you live in the countryside of course. but then, what better way to improve your neighbourliness and unfold your dilemma about the ice cream and booze and before you know, you might have made a friend for life:)

att
30th Nov 2007, 20:56
You fell for it foolllll, work it out for yourself, if that is at all possible.....

con-pilot
30th Nov 2007, 21:59
GOOD GOD! He's still here. :eek:

30th Nov 2007, 22:03
Of course he is.

Most supermarket shelf stackers don't start work until about midnight.

Dushan
30th Nov 2007, 23:08
Am I alone in this, or is this the general standard of online grocery shopping?
Bluesteel

I don't know about the general standard of online grocery shopping, but it is definely the standard of offshore call centres.

matt_hooks
1st Dec 2007, 00:10
Ah, see this is where a bit of ingenuity comes in handy.

Sod the phone number on the web. Look in your local phone book for the number of the actual store. Get through to them and they'll be able to put you through to the manager in situ with responsibility for the online shopping side. Of they try to fob you off or prevaricate just tell them you want to speak to the store manager, that'll have them jumping.

In general I've found most of the time it works pretty well, but you have to remember the human link in the chain which allows ample opportunity for futtockups, so make sure you check the shopping BEFORE the delivery bloke leaves. Insist he stays and checks everything there with you. After all, you're the customer, he shouldn't leave until you are satisfied that everything is correct!

Blacksheep
1st Dec 2007, 03:00
Mrs BS solved that problem when house hunting.

Location, location, location.

Asda, chip shop, Asian delicatessan, bank and library are just 500 meters away.

"By the time we retire here permanently" she said, "that's about as far as we'll be able to walk."

A practical lass is Mrs BS. :ok: