PDA

View Full Version : Sky Customer? Beware...

The Flying Pram
30th Nov 2007, 19:35
Just been alerted to this by another forum. It seems that Sky's latest "Privacy Policy" is anything but. If you read the reverse of the "Dear Customer" slip sent with the December issue of "Sky Magazine" you will find that they intend to divulge your personal details to all and sundry UNLESS you advise them otherwise!!! Do you really want any more junk snail/e-mail, phone calls, SMS, etc?

BRL
30th Nov 2007, 20:19
Good heads up.

I have just opened my sky mag after reading this and read the leaflet. Have to call this number 08702 40 40 40 to tell them you want to be excluded from this.

Cheers.

Standard Noise
30th Nov 2007, 20:23
Oh come on, it's not as if they can divulge owt that Gordy and the Halfwits haven't already released on CD!?:D

Whirlygig
30th Nov 2007, 21:10
They can if yer don't have kids! :}

Cheers

Whirls

frostbite
30th Nov 2007, 21:36
Great!

You have to call what many regard as a premium rate number to opt out of that?

Glad I'm not a Sky customer.

matt_hooks
30th Nov 2007, 23:59
Well, as a member of the TPS (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/) and the postal equivalent, MPS (http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/) you shouldn't hear from anyone anyway.

Of course, if you do then it's just a case of taking the company details and sending them off to the appropriate people.

I hadn't seen this about Sky, will have to phone them and let them know, but I won't be using the premium rate phone line, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I wonder how they've got past their duties under the data protection act? Might be an interesting ne to bring up with them, not that I like causing trouble or anything! :}:E

Rather be Gardening
1st Dec 2007, 11:21
I noticed this yesterday and sent them the following email on their customer contact facility:

I notice from the recent update that there are changes in the way you will use information you hold about me. Please note that I do not wish to be contacted by phone, email, post or SMS by Sky or any other company for market research or marketing. I do not give you permission to share my information with other companies outside the Sky group for sales, marketing or market research. Please confirm, by email, that you have complied with this instruction.

UniFoxOs
1st Dec 2007, 11:44
Frosty, 0870s are not premium rate but national rate, still more expensive for a lot of callers, though, and, as you say, a lot of people regard them as premium rate. One of our local doctor's surgeries went on to these recently - caused quite an uproar, as all calls to the surgery would normally be local calls.
For anyone worried about it, This (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=3005&page=5&pp=10) thread has a conversion of all SKY 0870 numbers to "real" ones.
UFO

Life's a Beech
1st Dec 2007, 11:48
Call 01506 831781 instead. It is the geographic number of the same phone line, so you won't have to pay anything on most price plans. You can find such things at say no to 0870.com (http://www.saynoto0870.com/). Enter any 08-type number and find how to phone more cheaply or for free. Also a search by company.

fernytickles
1st Dec 2007, 13:47
To receive the privilege of being taken off the junk mail list in the USA, I have to pay a $1, according to the USPS website.... A dollar to stop all the crap about the Big W's latest discounts etc, etc :confused:

pumuckl
1st Dec 2007, 16:33
Just tried ringing the 01506 831781 number, but it doesn't work. They say to redial their 0870 number...

amber 1
1st Dec 2007, 19:51
Try 01506 421813
Worked for me.

The Flying Pram
1st Dec 2007, 19:52
Try 01506 421813 instead.
Thinking about it why should one have to opt OUT of mailing lists like this. It should be automatic and firms should always seek your approval before selling this information on.

helimutt
1st Dec 2007, 20:07
Just used 01506 421813
Had already opted out! Worth doing anyway.:ok:

Rather be Gardening
3rd Dec 2007, 09:43
Following my earlier post, I had this reply from Sky this morning:

Thank you for your email regarding your Sky account.

I can confirm that I have suppressed your details and it will no longer be shared with any other companies outside our (Sky's) group. This will also make sure that you do not receive any e-mail or post or telephone marketing from us. Please note that it may take up to 30 days for the amendment to fully infiltrate our systems.

I trust this information is of assistance. Should you require further assistance please contact me at the above email address.

Sounds like the wasters handed around our details as soon as they wanted to, without waiting to hear from the customers whether or not they were content. The thirty days thing is, quite frankly, pathetic. I will be making my displeasure clear by changing to another media provider, for what good it will do.:rolleyes:

Gainesy
3rd Dec 2007, 10:51
Thanks Pram, I guess like most people, my sky mag goes straight into the recycle box.:ok:

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2007, 11:37
Thanks, I hope the the email system works; having been held on the phone at my expense (again) I soon gave up and have sent customer feedback to them telling them to desist.