PDA

View Full Version : Airfix on BBC's Money Programme - 7/12/07

Just a spotter
30th Nov 2007, 19:42
Seems the BBC's Money programme has gone all Aerosexual; not only did they have an article on this weeks programme about how the average "superstar" in the street can blow large chunks of their money on flying in ex-military jets in the UK, but next weeks prog is all about Airfix.

The Money Porgramme, Friday 7th Dec, BBC2 @ 19:00.

JAS

Gulf4uk
1st Dec 2007, 20:23
Any chance the following week is the Blue Peter Guide to Sticky
back Plastic and PVA Glue

Tony

farnborough

Blacksheep
2nd Dec 2007, 15:17
Aaah Airfix.! How many aviation careers began with a plastic bag full of polystyrene Spitfire? Like many a boy's bedroom, my ceiling had a Spitfire, Bf109 Emil, Ju87b, Lancaster, Mosquito and an F1A Lightning circling the lamp.

Loki
2nd Dec 2007, 15:58
Blacksheep

Is that all?

My ceiling mounted display stopped when, having no more room except the space directly above the pillow of my bed was occupied by my pride and joy; ie an Aurora Convair B58 Husler.

I was actually occupying said bed when the drawing pin lost its battle with the ceiling plaster. B58s had rather pointy front ends.

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2007, 19:40
I too did the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster (as well as the Gladiator, Supermarine floatplane and countless others) but my first model-in-a-bag was the Ferguson Tractor (which, sadly, has not been available since) - all supplied through Woolworths.

Crosshair
2nd Dec 2007, 21:59
Loki:
I kept my Hustler under the mattress.

I had a Dassault Mirage on a fishing swivel. Stuck a battery in the fuselage and a little electric motor, with a pusher prop mounted, in the tailpipe. With a push, she'd orbit forever.

This was before you could buy the same thing in every airport newsagency. I should claim royalties.

click
2nd Dec 2007, 23:34
HA!!! Still behind the iron curtain..but I managed to acquire a KLM DC8 and the F4 Revell kits. Many hours spent running around the bedroom making wrrrr sounds and pretending...guess my greatest contribution to world peace at that time was taking the 50 crowns that my grandma gave me as the 'voluntary' contribution to our comrades in Vietnam and blowing it on soda and bubble gum.
(It was still a few years before I discovered the joys of Penthouse and Hustler...of course hidden in the usual places where no one looks)

beermaddavep
2nd Dec 2007, 23:59
Ah, the childhood bedroom ceiling.
Spitfires, me109, hurricane, short sunderland, junkers, 2 lancasters, lightning, gazelle, me110, Red arrows hawk and many more. My own personal airfix airshow. Pride of place went to the only 1:42 model I ever had, a revell? B17 flying fortress. Expensive at the time, painted up everything-the crewmen, instruments even the internal fire extinguishers and interior that could not be seen.

I get out more now of course :-)

HappyJack260
3rd Dec 2007, 10:56
Red Arrows Hawk? Now you're showing your youth. In my day, Airfix were still selling Folland Gnats. A Gnat is pretty small in 1/72 scale - but at least you could get away without painting it...

Howard Hughes
3rd Dec 2007, 22:13
Ah the boyhood ceiling!

PBY5A Catalina, Super Constellation, VC-10 & all four of the USAF Thunderbirds in F4-A Phantom form...:ok: