PDA

View Full Version : Which path to follow ? EASA or CASA

Hasherucf
30th Nov 2007, 11:37
Hi guys

I am an Australian 2nd year apprentice AME working at a GA organisation. Currently I attend a TAFE on block release to complete a Cert IV Aero skills course.

Recently I started taking CASA exams (QA, BA, FA, GG, etc). But we have just been told by TAFE that we are going to be trained under the new EASA 66 system. We where to be trained under the B3 license which seems targeted to the specific Australian GA industry but since this syllabus isn’t complete we will be doing the B1 theory.

My question is should I continue the CASA exams or just stick with this new EASA system? What would be my benefits either way? Should I just try for a license under the old CASA system and update it on the grandfather rule?

There’s a great deal of frustration being felt at my level with no reliable sources of information. Information is slowly trickling out on the CASA website.

Thanks

Twitter n Bisted
1st Dec 2007, 10:34
To do or not to do.
My question is should I continue the CASA exams or just stick with this new EASA system? What would be my benefits either way? Should I just try for a license under the old CASA system and update it on the grandfather rule?

A qualification is a qualification. GET all you can
Do the current basics then get as many licences as you can. I know the basics are a pain and now costly but many people have done the lot in a couple of sittings ( I did). Then go to the USA and pass the FAA A & P while your brain is still fresh with the knowledge and claim the holiday as a tax deduction. :ok:

Many operators will remain or stay with the old system for as long as they can as change usually has a cost involved.
An example while not pertinent to your side of the industry is QF will keep its current fleet 767 737 744 747 under the old system ICAO type 2 and anything new will be EASA 100.66 style. e.g. A380 787 etc.
It looks like you are going to receive all the new EASA type training at tafe so you will have both, win win.
I have to go back and do the new training as the grand father clause will not give me a direct cross over to the new system. Even with my elec experience I need to do more plus human factors etc etc
If you are really keen do the correspondence course Diploma in aviation thru Newcastle Uni so you don't have to do it when you are at my age, bitter n twisted :yuk:

Undisclosed
14th Dec 2007, 09:07
Hey mate. I just finished my apprenticeship and have done all but BC and AA (well, I did BC, but failed by 4%...aaaahhh!!). Definatelly keep going with the basics.

I sat in on a road show type thing on the EASA system CASA is going to bring in...It's looking really good, if we were doing our apprenticeship in about 4 years time! The RTO's will take over the examination process, and on completion, we (would) walk out with out LAME ticket instead of just the trade papers. I'm not totally convinced by it all, I think there's a lot wrong with what's coming in, but some good in it as well.

They're going to have to pay us a lot better than this to keep me in the business at least. I'm already looking into another apprenticeship as a car mechanic/EFI tuner :ugh:

Having said that, being only 2 exams away from my licence, I'm still going to go all the way, then decide where I want to go :).

The Original Jetpipe
23rd Dec 2007, 20:21
From someone that has both EASA66 and CASA licenses, I would recommend doing the EASA license. However the CASA License is easier to obtain!! (exam wise) CASA are dragging there feet over accepting the EASA license. Currently there is no cross over from CASA license to EASA, so you will have to study all the subjects again!! If you are planning on leaving OZ to work overseas europe, middle east, etc then the EASA license is a must.

Regards
TOJP.

Bus429
24th Dec 2007, 15:39
I also hold CASA and EASA licenses. I'd say follow what CASA suggests if you are based in Australia. Bear in mind that - currently - EASA does not endorse foreign licenses but it will be interesting to see what they say when confronted with an Part 66 equivalent. I believe CASA is a little vexed by the notion of an academic "C" rated person releasing an aircraft out of Base.