PDA

View Full Version : Pilots will fly more for bigger slice of Qantas pie

On Guard
29th Nov 2007, 22:05
FYI

AFR
PROFIT SHARE: Qantas pilots have offered to increase their workload by 10 per cent in exchange for a slice of the airline's record $NZ1.3 billion profit.

Qantas pilots have offered to increase their workload by 10 per cent in exchange for a slice of the airline's record profit.

Some pilots could be in line for an income boost of up to 20 per cent under the deal, to be hammered out in new enterprise agreement negotiations, Fairfax reports.

The carrier posted a $A1.1 billion ($NZ1.3 billion) profit last financial year.
"It would be a good deal," president of the Australian and International Pilots Association, Captain Ian Woods, said.
"But, by the same token, if Qantas' performance isn't as good in future years, we risk money."

Passenger safety would not be compromised by pilots taking on increased flying hours, Captain Woods insisted, referring to regulations that prevent international pilots from flying more than 900 hours a year.
"The way pilots are currently rostered means we have not gotten anywhere near that legislative cap," he told Fairfax.
"There is no safety issue whatsoever in getting 900 hours up, provided that the new rostering is responsible."

The proposal comes after this week's deal between Qantas and unions representing long-haul cabin crew to increase work hours of new staff by 30 per cent while cutting their wages by 25 per cent.

EPIRB
30th Nov 2007, 01:17
I'm not going to get much more as I'm already sitting on 870 hours.

SkyScanner
30th Nov 2007, 07:33
I hit 895 last year..

OhSpareMe
30th Nov 2007, 08:09
I did 350. Boy, am I in for a shock.

Kiwiconehead
1st Dec 2007, 04:29
Clap clap clap.
Commission based remuneration.

At least the techies have got hats so they'll be a step ahead of the cabin crew when they move to tip based remuneration.

Howard Hughes
1st Dec 2007, 05:45
I did 350. Boy, am I in for a shock.
Qantas pilots have offered to increase their workload by 10 per cent in exchange for a slice of the airline's record profit.
That'll still only put you on 385 per year...;)

Angle of Attack
1st Dec 2007, 05:52
Ive been Stick hour limited the last 3 years in a row, I hit 899.2 once lol! Depends on the fleet I guess but Ive been consistently within 50 hours of 900 in the last year apart from coming back from holidays..

Even in GA I was limited by the 900 1 year rule, anyway see what happens..