PDA

View Full Version : Part time IR training - your experiences

Superpilot
29th Nov 2007, 14:55
Anyone else done their IR part time? I know it's advised against but I have valid reasons. Would be interested to learn how many lessons you managed a week with a fulltime work schedule at your flight school? Did you do any sim stuff after work (from 6 to 10pm maybe???).

PM me if preferred.

Thanks

Cobalt
29th Nov 2007, 20:54
Did it part-time weekends only.

Took a total of 8 months, but that included a "holiday" / "go slow" period of 2 months, so real time taken was 6 months.

2 sorties per day are manageable with no problems, but would recommend a break in between to digest and reflect on what you learned. I effectively did an average of 3 per weekend flown, but a few weekends were completely rained off (due to WX).

I finished close to minimum hours (1.5 longer IIRC due to WX delays around test). However, I needed more time in the aircraft (and consequently less time in the sim) as my situational awareness and precision in the sim etc. was pretty good, but flying precision in the aircraft was pretty shoddy initially and only improved slowly - this is where a full-time course is probably superior as you gather less dust between actual flight sorties.

I also had an IMC rating to start with (but wasn't in current practice, never used in anger in the years sicnce I got it), which probably explains why I felt "overcooked" in the sim but needed every minute in the actual aircaft. Don't know if I would have made it in that time if I hadn't had the IMC training.

The two biggest problems were
- WX, aircraft and instructor availablility hit you harder as you lose a week, not just a day. An understaning school helps a lot here, especially when they need to get you ready for test
- No free/family time. Plan at least one holiday. Would recommend
December, though, not July/August as I did...

I did not try to fly after work as my working day was too long for that sort of thing and also after 10 hours work another 1 hour trip to the field doesn't make for good performance. However, maybe you can manage a half-day off to do one sortie. That would probably be ok.

MIKECR
29th Nov 2007, 21:21
Cobalt has some good points there. I had a part time guy as my 'back seat' during my IR, he did roughly 2 or 3 trips a week. Thankfully we had a very keen instructor(thanks Luke:ok:!!) who was willing to to do weekend work and we both managed to get through a good chunk of the course at weekends. If he hadnt volunteered his services then I doubt my partner would have got throught the course.

Most FTO's are geared up for FT guys and gals but if you get the right place then im sure they'll come up with a good part time package for you. business is business, so any decent FTO worth their weight should be able to help you out.

Currymonster
30th Nov 2007, 08:18
I take my hat off to you Cobalt, I too wanted to do the IR part time but having just done it Full Time, I think personally I would have struggled. (Struggled Full Time!!)

Suppose it depends on the individual but I found the currency aspect of it to be a big thing, flying 5 days a week.

Good Luck whatever you do

Cobalt
30th Nov 2007, 08:59
It came at a cost - more time in the aircraft because of currency/gathering dust for a week or maybe two if weather intervened.

Also, don't forget the starting point - with IMC rating training I could track and use all navaids already and fly "reasonable" NDB holds (not to IR standards, of course) which probably saved me 5 hours!

So - let's say, to be conservative, you need 10 more hours doing it on weekends and you do all of them in the aircraft, that's up to £3000 extra cost. And if it really doesn't work out, take a week off before the test.

Extra income from half a year's work is hopefully more... even if you are an instuctor and earn next to nothing ;)

Superpilot
30th Nov 2007, 12:22
Cobalt, how about your sim time? My course includes 35 hours in the sim which I can easily achieve after work. I.e. pretty much full time provided that the instructor is ok to stay till late.

Cobalt
30th Nov 2007, 13:48
I didn't even try. Nature of my job makes it impossible to reliably get out early. I did ONE in preparation of the test and after 10 hours work and 1 hour driving through rush-hour that wasn't a pleasant experience.

But if you feel you can fit it in, probably an option. Not sure you will find an instructor, though, but worth asking...