PDA

View Full Version : So why *do* you lot deserve cheap cars?

25F
28th Nov 2007, 19:23
A recent legal story in The Register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/26/lying_2_computer_still_lying/
raises the question - why *should* BALPA members get a discount on
new cars?

Loose rivets
28th Nov 2007, 19:36
Surprising judgment.

Years ago, I phoned a acquaintance in an attempt to get discount on a set of sofas.

"You give police officers a discount...how about airline pilots?"

He laughed...a lot, then gave me a huge discount. Never hurts to ask.

acmi48
28th Nov 2007, 20:31
what airman worth his salt would drive around in renault
junior f/o is a modus
senior f/o in a laguna
flight eng in a megane scenic
cpt in a vel satis
entire crew in an espace

spares in a route master

hope bmw sign up with our union

west lakes
28th Nov 2007, 20:49
Bear in mind that many members of unions and employees of large organisations can get deals like this on all sorts of services and goods - there are companies out there set up to offer these discounts

BigEndBob
28th Nov 2007, 21:33
Some years ago some Police organisation phoned the flying club asking if we give Police discounts as they wanted to a publish a booklet to give to members with all the discounts listed. Rather than officiers asking on a ad hoc basis.

So did the booklet ever issued?

Also one of our flying instructors turned up at a tyre garage with his white pilot shirt on and was offered a police discount, thats worth a try!

Tolsti
28th Nov 2007, 21:39
Bob... that Police booklet/directory approach is a well known scam along the same lines as the Business Directory for which you receive an invoice (normally from Belgium) for your entry.

Alloa Akbar
29th Nov 2007, 07:56
We used to have a Forces discount scheme when I was in the mob, some good deals, but also a lot of crap.

The company I now work for has an employee discount scheme with Alfa Romeo, however, the discounts from a main dealer price can be beaten by most car supermarkets.:ok:

CherokeeDriver
29th Nov 2007, 08:32
It's no big deal. I work for a bank and we get mega discounts on Mercedes Benz cars. 2 year lease, nothing down, 220/month and nothing to pay when you give the car back / get a new one. Struggle to buy and drive a VW Golf for that money.

Only trouble is the car park looks like a Mercedes dealership......:ugh:

Rainboe
29th Nov 2007, 11:40
What disturbs me about this thread is not anything about anybody getting discounts on new cars, it's what business it is of 25F to even enquire about a private organisation obtaining such a benefit for its members, and his delightful use of the phrase 'So why *do* you lot deserve cheap cars?'

The only possible answer is not to explain, but to say 'MYOB!'

And who wants a darn Renault anyway- hardly 'cool'! Obviously 25F

Parapunter
29th Nov 2007, 11:47
Rainboe, I bet you were bullied as a child :}

GearDown&Locked
29th Nov 2007, 11:51
Wellcome to the Pprune Stress Therapy Program...:E

arcniz
29th Nov 2007, 22:31
Wellcome to the Pprune Stress Therapy Program...

I am stressing out because Rainboe's post seems to have been deleted...only the echoes remaining.

Hate to miss a precious word of R's polemics.

Friends say I am just not mean enough sometimes, so am trying to pick up helpful pointers from those more accomplished in meanness and spite.

Give 'im points for consistency, please. Can anyone provide a capsule review or paraphrase of R's latest?