PDA

View Full Version : AFL spat lands Aussie sailors in US jail

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2007, 21:33
Wednesday November 28, 07:26 AM

Two Australian Navy sailors jailed in California for a vicious fight with an American man about the merits of Aussie rules football will learn on Wednesday if US prosecutors will pursue serious assault charges against them.

Philip Graeme Ferres, 26, and Kolis Barba, 24, have been locked up in San Diego's Central Jail since their arrest in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Police accuse them of hitting and kicking their alleged victim, breaking his eye socket, after an argument flared at a party about Australian rules football and America's gridiron.
The alleged victim, a 28-year-old San Diego man, was a fan of gridiron while the Australians were talking up the virtues of AFL (http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/), which led to the fight, police said.
A spokesperson for the San Diego District Attorney's office said prosecutors were mulling over the evidence on Wednesday to decide what charges, if any, will be filed against the two sailors, who arrived in the southern Californian city aboard the HMAS Sydney last week.
If charges are laid, Ferres and Barba will likely appear before a San Diego judge on Thursday.
San Diego police booked the Australians on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, with the deadly weapon being their feet.
The American man was hospitalised.
Ferres and Barba claimed they acted in self defence.
They feared for their lives because they believed their alleged victim would get a weapon, police said.
The HMAS Sydney, which was moored at the US Naval Base San Diego for five days, left San Diego on Saturday without the two men.

Well done lads! Gridiron is too much like that Nancy game Rugby....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
27th Nov 2007, 21:35
Was their position that AFL was more violent than gridiron?

frostbite
27th Nov 2007, 21:36
Some people will fight over anything.

Pathetic.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
27th Nov 2007, 21:37
Says WHO? :*

Buster Hyman
27th Nov 2007, 21:43
Yeah, I dare you to come over here & say that!!!:suspect:

(Get him Aaaaargh!)

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 21:43
Bah!! in my day a good fist fight was part of a good run ashore,would have been dealt with by the shore patrol,mind you two agin one would have been frowned upon,looks like yer Ozzies are turning into big girls blouses just like the rest of the worlds young men.
:rolleyes:

tinpis
27th Nov 2007, 21:54
Aye them were the days Mr D
Bah!! in my day a good fist fight was part of a good run ashore
The "Three F's" :ok:

Yer Woolloomooloo Hotel long gone now :{

Takan Inchovit
28th Nov 2007, 08:44
If it's AFL they were talking about, then it wern't a fight, it was just a melee. :hmm:
The more AFL supporters that get arrested while OS, the better. :E

Peter Fanelli
28th Nov 2007, 12:30
Bah!! in my day a good fist fight was part of a good run ashore,would have been dealt with by the shore patrol,mind you two agin one would have been frowned upon,looks like yer Ozzies are turning into big girls blouses just like the rest of the worlds young men.

It appears these two were using their feet. Fighting like girls according to that old saying. Big Girls Blouses as you said.

Hope they enjoy their visit with Bubba.

Oooooh thailors!:ooh:

CR2
28th Nov 2007, 13:04
Wath Dwaper a thailor? :}:}:}

:O

Buster Hyman
28th Nov 2007, 19:40
Well, he'd know a thing or two about soap on a rope then...

tony draper
28th Nov 2007, 20:16
I know where you both live. http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/Tony_Draper/tongue.gif

Fliegenmong
28th Nov 2007, 20:19
I've long said ALL the VFL people should **** off back to victoria, south australia, tassie, and the west. :}:E

The only game you get points for when you miss the goal :rolleyes:;)

(donning the helmet while I type)

Buster Hyman
28th Nov 2007, 21:41
Wow...with a tongue like that Mr Draper, no wonder you were popular at sea!!!:ok:

Flegenmong...yeah, yeah, whatever!:rolleyes: Remember, girls throw a ball, real men punch it!

Diatryma
28th Nov 2007, 22:58
The only game you get points for when you miss the goal

Yea - and in some stupid games you get points even without having to kick a goal. You just have to run across a line. How easy is that!

They should combine rugby league, rugby union and gridiron into one game. It's practically all the same anyway. You might be able to compete with "soccer" as a "world game'.

Di:E