PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

craig51
27th Nov 2007, 18:02
If coming from houston, would you fly continental to newark, then newark to edinburgh, again continetnal, or houston to gatwick via continental, then gatwick to edinburgh via BA

Answers and why!

eggc
27th Nov 2007, 18:18
I'd take a NJE Gulf V, but that probably doesn't help you much :}

Seriously tho' I would rather connect in EWR for three reasons...

1 & 2) I am not keen on Gatwick, or BA !
3) EWR splits the journey a bit better; 3hrs + 5 1/2hrs rather than a lenghty 8hrs + 1 1/2hrs

AircraftOperations
27th Nov 2007, 18:25
An 8 hour leg gives you more chance to sleep though.

I'd always prefer to stay with the same airline for bags and delay reasons where possible. Unless you are booking a through ticket with CO and BA throught LGW?

craig51
27th Nov 2007, 18:27
booked through amex!

PaperTiger
27th Nov 2007, 20:52
CO IAH-AMS
KL AMS-EDI

EWR-EDI is a 757 :eek:

Hartington
27th Nov 2007, 21:10
I think I'd prefer London. Longer flight to get more sleep.

But beware (and this isn't the normal LHR scare story). BA are moving all sorts of flights around during March/April. The Houstons are moving to Heathrow and I think they will move to T5 from end March. However, not all the T4 flights are moving until end April. I think the domestics also move to T5 end March but make sure you know which airport is being used *and* which terminal.

The class issue is that CO are 2 class while BA is 4 class. Depending on your budget etc you may get a "better" (subjective) seat on BA by paying a little more (although domestic is one class).

Oh, and check the seating on the CO 757 EWR to EDI if you're travelling business/club. Just be sure you're getting their full international business class.

UniFoxOs
28th Nov 2007, 10:36
Why would you even want to consider two lots of check-in hassle at US airports??

UFO

Donkey497
28th Nov 2007, 23:27
Mate, if you want to do IAH-EDI, the best way to do this was Delta IAH to ATL then take the DL 97 direct from ATL to EDI. Did it EDI-IAH in cattle class a whole lot of times since Delta put the route on last year and never had a bad flight. Myself & a few colleagues did this trip quite a number of times for work and talking about it, we all agree that it's better to have the transatlantic leg as the last leg & all the better if it's overnight as well.
Unfortunately, Delta pulled the EDI-ATL flight back in October and might eventually replace it with an EDI-EWR service in mid May next year, we are still holding out collective breath

As a result, you are probably better to fly from houston to Newark (EWR) then on to Edinburgh on Continental. By all accounts, you don't get as good a standard of service on CO across the pond as you do on DL, but CO are better within the US. So all in all, you should be OK.

I personally wouldn't be booking through AMEX, as they have proved uneconomic & unresponsive for our purposes and we now book our own travel individually. If this is for corporate reasons and your firm happens to have bases in dunfermline, Fife, Scotland; Kongsberg,Backerud,Norway and Singapore, then we do it all individually now now in the Engineering department and the others are currently following suit.

Hope this helps.