PDA

View Full Version : Can I use an FAA ticket in Africa?

kirkegaard
27th Nov 2007, 13:29
Does anybody know if they accept FAA-certificates in all parts of Africa? Or do they have their own? If they do have their own, how should I then convert?

unstable load
27th Nov 2007, 14:35
There are lots of Americans flying in places like Angola, Nigeria etc so I am pretty sure that it is acceptable.
As to what you need to do, that depends on where you are and who you are dealing with.

B737 lover
27th Nov 2007, 15:19
As far as i know, FAA certificates are meant for November(N) registration, if you have to fly any other registered aircraft apart from (N), you have to convert your license(Certificate).
But mind you that FAA certificates are well known and recognized in most part of the world especially here in Africa, so its easy to Convert.
I'm a proud Tanzanian holding an FAA ATP like most of my fellow pilots here in Tanzania, all we had to do is to write a sort of an airlaw examination to convert(validate) into TZ ATPL.

Soap Box Cowboy
28th Nov 2007, 02:47
Such as Congo, where for a case of Primus you can get a licence with various ratings on it B727, B737. I'm sure they will even give you Concord for a few extra dollars :E

B Sousa
29th Nov 2007, 14:57
For the past few years I have had my License Validated for use in South Africa. It did require me to do the Air Law Exam. Consider you need to study or you will be like me. It was so much fun I had to do it twice. Everything you do with the CAA in SA has a fee. Not ridiculous but a fee. If you validate your license there I suggest a fresh FAA Medical as the validation is based on the longevity of that piece of paper. On your first validation it will also take a week or so as the CAA, contacts the FAA to certify that your FAA license is valid. Ironically there are a few running around Africa with phoney licenses.
New rules are in the mill wheras you may in the future only be allowed to validate your license one time in SA. Not in place yet but due to happen..
If that occurs you should also add a book to your library. "How to validate my license repeatedly through bribery" One thing about Africa is Money talks.., lots of Money sings songs. Now that SA is in transition (Translation= Whites not wanted) anything can be purchased if youre willing to pay for it.

unstable load
29th Nov 2007, 15:01
Hi all,

Sorry, I should have posted that it was subject to local validation that you could use your FAA ticket.
Brainfart!!:uhoh: