PDA

View Full Version : CPL air law-Vs-ATPL air law

Bigglesx
27th Nov 2007, 06:41
Can anyone advise me as to how similar these exams areto each other? From experience would any of you have attempted the ATPL airlaw exam immediately after the CPL equivalent?, perhaps knowing the content would not be much more involved than the CPL airlaw? Cheers. :suspect:

Tinstaafl
28th Nov 2007, 03:19
I didn't find ATPL Air Law difficult. Easier than my CPL Law exam was due to not having a closed book section - unlike CPL Law in the early '80's. I self studied for it, same as I did for CPL level. The stuff needed is all specified in the relevent part of the syllabus and content in the same documents you'll have with you in the exam.

White_line_fever
28th Nov 2007, 04:21
definetly grab the higgins notes, i had them and tagged/highlighted relevant areas and studied for 1 day and got 97% and by far eaiser than cpl air law i thought.

have you done all the cpl subjects or just law? cause from memory when i did my atpls you had to hold a minimum of a pass in all cpl theory!

Bigglesx
28th Nov 2007, 07:01
Good on ya chaps, yes I shall get some AFT notes as soon as, their reputation seems to speak for itself. Whiteline, yep all the cpl stuff out the way by the end of the week.:ok:

Wing Root
28th Nov 2007, 07:10
It is similar to CPL airlaw. In mine I found there was a bit of a focus on maintenance from a pilots perspective especially "Major Defects." The AFT notes are spot on. Get them and you'll have no worries.

SMOC
18th Dec 2007, 17:50
Hi all, glad I found this, I'm planning on converting my overseas ATPL to an Aussie one I'm required to do the ATPL Air Law (AALW) exam, fortunately I have my Aussie CPL and IREX (exp), can anyone provide info on getting some of these notes you're talking about.

http://www.aft.com.au/atplaft.htm

I'm passing through Aus over X-mas do you recommend I just get a distant learning course for Air Law and do the test when I'm next able to come back to Aus? Also any recommendations on how do i get some Higgins notes? I found this;

http://homes.jcu.edu.au/~ccla/aviation/atpl/aft.html

is it possible to do an Air Law course or just home study?

Apologies if some of this seems obvious but I've been away so long I've forgotten how the whole CASA exam system works, and not sure it'll come as easy to me as to you guys.

Cheers

Howard Hughes
18th Dec 2007, 18:06
by far the easiest atpl exam... got 87% in about 30min
Self study, no Nathan Higgins notes, no 'tags' and 96%, this is by far the easiest ATPL exam, but you do need to know your way around the CAO's and the Reg's, otherwise time will be a factor!:ok:

SMOC
18th Dec 2007, 18:26
Again forgive my ignorance, what's the best way to get to know my way around the CAO's and so forth, I'm prepared to take some leave if thats whats required I doubt just having them in my possession will be suffice to get to know them without some instruction, I remember being able to flick through them with confidence some time ago or maybe that's just wishful thinking!

Adam_V
18th Dec 2007, 20:55
Practice exams is all I could suggest. Personally I used the Aviation Theory Centre book, and I found that to be sufficient. Only $35 aswell, and it has prac exams in it. As amazing as it is to do the exam with no tags, I'd still recommend tagging your books up. Hope this helps.

SMOC
19th Dec 2007, 14:11
Cheers thanks for the info

VeeoneCUT
20th Dec 2007, 10:34
I'm in the middle of a conversion from JAA ATPL to the AUSSIE ATPL.

I have AFT's distance learning course for the CPL Law, the ATPL Law and the Instrument written IREX. Nathan Higgins at AFT sell the CPL Bob Tait book and online practice exams. You can of course study overseas and take the exam when you get here. However there are a heap of books and shipping will cost a bundle. I paid AUD $1200 for the books and domestic postage to North Queensland.

Before you are even allowed to sit the exam you need to fill in a few forms and submit copies of any foreign licence , pay some money, Get an ARN Aviation reference number, pay some money, then the CAA will allow you access to sit the exams you need. It's not just a case of booking online with ASL cyber exam www.aslexam.com online. If you are converting you must take CPL law as a pre-qualification to sit the ATPL law. You are now unable to book the ATPL law until a pass in CPL law is received by CASA!

I have just walked out of the CPL exam today 88% pass, the questions were a bit tougher than the bob tait practice exams on which I was getting 97 and 100%. The CAA must have updated. there were some significant re-wording and different presentations of the questions. Bit of panic. There were however many questions that were verbatum which you will breeze through. This afforded me the extra time for the tricky questions. The questions are not difficult it's wading thru the books to find the answer.

Talking to the other candidates there the general feedback was - that my performance was spot on. If you get less than top marks in the practice papers you will probably fail the actual exam. I felt the Bob tait questions were easy and was finishing in about 40 mins. The actual exam today I used the whole time allocation.

I will of course feed back to AFT and Bob Tait everything I can remember.