PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Get Upgrade While Bankstown gets the Ass.

Matt-YSBK
27th Nov 2007, 05:10
I Noticed this in the Sydney Morning Harald. Interesting that While Sydney Gets a safety upgrade. Bankstown gets a closure of the North South Runway and reduction in the under/over shoot hight clearances.

--- FROM SMH.COM.AU
Sydneysiders will have to endure increased aircraft noise and the possibility of flights being diverted to other airports as part of a $65 million safety plan to extend the east-west runway safety area to 90 metres.
The extension, which is a mandatory safety requirement set by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to minimise the consequences of a plane over-shooting or landing short of the runway, will mean the east-west runway will have limited access, or be fully closed, for more than a year from April 2008.
The closure will force take-offs and landings to occur only on the two north-south runways and result in between one and three extra flight movements per hour on existing flight paths for the two runways, Sydney Airport estimated.
This could vary on a day-to-day basis and change as a result of weather conditions, it said.
During periods of strong cross-winds, flights to and from the airport may have to be delayed or even diverted to other airports while the east-west runway remains off limits.
Only areas that already lie beneath the flight paths will be affected by the increased noise.
"Sydney Airport apologises to the people who will be affected by this vital runway safety enhancement project, but it is necessary to comply with Australia's air safety regulations and provide a larger runway safety area," Sydney Airport CEO, Russell Balding, said.

LegallyBlonde
9th Dec 2007, 12:10
Some of us with long memories recall the closure of 05/23 runway at BK in the 70's - thanks to comrade Paul Keating and family, who coinicidentally owned two homes on Black Charlie's Hill.
PK didn't give a stuff about crosswinds, especially summer afternoons, and students out doing solo circuits.
Oh, and not only did they close the runway, they bulldozed it, just in case.
Nothing has changed.

OzExpat
11th Dec 2007, 12:48
On the contrary, LB. It seems to me that 2 things have changed. There's now another Federal Labour government and also one less runway at YSBK... what odds on the future of 11/29 eh? :eek:

I, too, am old enough to remember doing solo circuits on the old 05/23. :uhoh:

LegallyBlonde
11th Dec 2007, 12:56
Well, it looks as though Hoxton Park will disappear under brick veneer before too much longer.
Wouldn't some of the local whingers love to get their hands (or bulldozers) on 11/29. No problem, we can have an airport without a main runway. Just rename it Fawlty Airport Corp and get Basil to come and run it.
Would be as smooth as silk without the punters.

Actually, back to reminiscing - there were meetings at the time of the closure of 05/23, I remember a memorable moment when an old man stood up and said 'none of you lived here before this land was an airport, and I know, because I used to farm it'.
:ugh: LB

OzExpat
12th Dec 2007, 07:44
I was under the impression that Hoxton had already gone that way a few years ago. Anyway, I'm sure it won't be too long before we'll all be reminiscing about using 11/29 - and making the unofficial 11 approach.

I guess the farmer was the first one not to make any money out of aviation at YSBK...