PDA

View Full Version : Attention Deficit Disorder

airbusdrvr
27th Nov 2007, 02:45
Does anyone know of a pilot that has been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD and was still able to get a medical?

SeaVision
7th Jul 2008, 15:59
*bump*

I would also be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer to this. In particular - are there any pilots diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, who are prescribed dexamphetamine - and are actively flying.

AMEandPPL
7th Jul 2008, 16:51
This is taken verbatim from the JAR Civil Aviation Medicine Manual :

The use of narcotic drugs is strictly forbidden. The term ‘narcotics’ covers opioids (eg morphine),cocaine, cannabis, amphetamines and other CNS stimulants. Caffeine may be acceptable to enhance alertness if not taken in excessive dose.

The emboldening and colouring is mine, just to add due emphasis.

jbm567
11th Jul 2008, 03:11
Chec out aviationmedicine.com... They seem to have a pretty good list of approved medications, and what you can for for various conditions. Many conditions are certifiable with an array of various medications... I'm pretty sure there would be other drugs one could take for that.

Maris Otter
16th Nov 2008, 18:43
Apparently flying and ADHD can work for quite some time.
I have been grounded because of tinnitus, hyperacusis and King-Kopetzty syndrome for more than a year now (After 25 years in aviation) My doctor agrees that I probably have ADHD in addition to King-Kopetzty, and he makes no fuzz about it. But then there is no need for medication.
Then again, whether I will ever return to flying is a different thing all together.......

I actually have some opinions on how pilots can have ADHD and still have a carreer within aviation. My answer is that long haul flying can work very well, as there is not much need for long time concentration and that the jet lag will keep you passive (because you are contantly dead tired and have accumulated sleep deficit). For me this worked perfectly for 15 years, until I had to switch to short haul to get my first command. After that, it took about a year in the left seat until it was "game over".

I guess I should have chosen a different carreer 25 years ago, but it is a bit late to change that now.......

Maris

Carrier
17th Nov 2008, 03:11
Quote: "I would also be interested to hear if anyone knows the answer to this."

Just a few days ago I was listening to a well known comedienne who was on about teenagers and their problems and attitudes: "What's the answer to ADD? Concentration camps!"

BYALPHAINDIA
17th Nov 2008, 21:33
Just a few days ago I was listening to a well known comedienne who was on about teenagers and their problems and attitudes: "What's the answer to ADD? Concentration camps!"

I doubt 'teenagers' even know what it is, After all 'Some' of them have the concentration skills of an 'Emu'