PDA

View Full Version : Solid State Hard Drives

Fareastdriver
26th Nov 2007, 23:39
Has anybody got the latest on SSHDs.. I work in China and I have seen pictures of them, about 80 gigs capacity, that look exactlly liike a standard mechanical hard drive. One gets the impression that they are interchangable.
My old Acer laptop is getting too heavy and I will be replacing it soon and I don't want to buy a new one the day before the SSHD is announced.
There are suggestions of instant bootup, flashing from one programme to another etc etc.
At leasts I will know when they are announced. They will be OEMs on the street stalls thirty minutes later.

Bushfiva
27th Nov 2007, 00:50
SSDs have been in a range of laptops for a while, in a range of form factors. The largest notebook drive you can sensibly get (i.e. afford) is 128GB or 160GB. The largest you can get in any form factor is 640GB, I believe. Compared with hard drives, they have no spin-up time, no head seek time and generally higher bandwidth. They're a little lighter and consume less power. Some early designs are a bit sucky on random writes. Flash may have substantially shorter life, which is one reason SSDs are not going into servers right now.

Basil
27th Nov 2007, 08:36
Pure guesswork but IF they have the same holes and leads as a HDD then, presumeably one could swop them over. :confused:

Bushfiva
27th Nov 2007, 08:44
Yes, in general the notebook 2.5" units are available in PATA & SATA. They're drop-in replacements.

Fareastdriver
27th Nov 2007, 12:28
Thanks Bushfiva. I can now proceed with some knowledge.