PDA

View Full Version : British sense of humor gone?

con-pilot
27th Nov 2007, 00:11
What happened to the British sense of humor? :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071126/od_nm/announcer_dc_1

Shoot, I even like the bit about the Americans. :p

Maybe she can come over here and go for work at Southwest Airlines.

Here you can hear her.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...&asb=1&news=1#

AlphaMale
27th Nov 2007, 00:18
Seems both sites are down :bored:

Chrisbowe82
27th Nov 2007, 00:28
On the contrary, it appears the sense of humour is still there...:}

"London Underground is sorry to have to announce that further contracts for Miss Clarke are experiencing severe delays," a TfL spokesman told the Evening Standard Monday.

TheDesertFerret
27th Nov 2007, 00:37
To answer the thread starter's question the British sense of humour is currently on holiday in Norway and will be back in time for Christmas.

Lost_ethics
27th Nov 2007, 00:40
So, she made spoof announcements, recorded them and put them on her website? Nothing to do with saying this in the actual tube? Hardly seems grounds for being "Sacked" maybe another piece of Grade A journalism?
She's a "Voice over Artist"? Saying "mind the gap" that's replayed on a loudspeaker doesn't sound like art to me...
British sense of humour? We're all miserable buggers really...

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th Nov 2007, 00:48
It seems that her dislike for the Underground was the sound of her own voice. Looks fair to me.

con-pilot
27th Nov 2007, 01:06
Seems both sites are down

The first one is still working, but alas the second seems to be gone. I'll see what I can do.

(However, it is a BBC site. :suspect:)

Here is some of the story on the lady being fired.

"We would like to remind our American tourist friends that you are almost certainly talking too loudly."

* "Would the passenger in the red shirt pretending to read the paper but who is actually staring at that woman's chest please stop. You are not fooling anyone, you filthy pervert."

* "Would passengers filling in answers on their Sudokus please accept that they are just crosswords for the unimaginative and are not in any way more impressive just because they contain numbers."

* "Here we are crammed again into a sweaty Tube carriage ... If you're female smile at the bloke next to you and make his day. He's probably not had sex for months."

Clarke said it was "just a bit of a laugh." But Tube operator Transport for London (TfL) failed to see the funny side and dropped her, after eight years.

"London Underground is sorry to have to announce that further contracts for Miss Clarke are experiencing severe delays," a TfL spokesman told the Evening Standard Monday.

Davaar
27th Nov 2007, 01:58
The only funny bit, really, is the very last item.

con-pilot
27th Nov 2007, 04:03
No Davaar what is not funny is that she lost her job.

Loose rivets
27th Nov 2007, 05:34
Reminds me of an early BBC radio announcer that put a turn-table mat on his head and made his colleague laugh. He was fired.

It was in the days when they had to put on black tie and dinner jacket just to read the news on radio.

Davaar
27th Nov 2007, 08:02
Con-pilot, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I find the last quotation funny because it alone is a parody of a style and has some subtlety. The others are just not funny. I take no pleasure in anyone's losing a job, and if I had been her boss I'd have "warned" her the first time. That is just because I am a softie, but people who go looking for trouble often find it.

Curious Pax
27th Nov 2007, 08:47
She didn't have a job to lose with them - she had a series of contracts, as she is a one-person company selling voice-over skills. Because she got caught taking the p*ss out of them they won't be offering her any more - seems fair enough. If an advertising agency got caught posting spoof ads about a major client on You Tube that were being rude about them, they would probably get the same treatment. Big deal!

2 sheds
27th Nov 2007, 10:44
According to the recording played on BBC Radio 4 news, one of her spoofs was actually "We would like to remind our American tourist friends that you are almost certainly talking too loud (sic)."

Personally, I would fire her (sorry, not award her another contract) for offences against English grammar.

tony draper
27th Nov 2007, 10:49
They are probably terrified she says summat that will offend one of our minorities.
Aye that the rub.:rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
27th Nov 2007, 10:51
They are probably terrified she says summat that will offend one of our minorities.You mean the 18-45 White Anglo Saxon Male...:rolleyes:

matt_hooks
27th Nov 2007, 11:01
The actual reason that LU have given for not giving her any more contracts is that she stated she disliked the underground. Unfortunately that is a massive misrepresentation of what she actually said, which was that the underground was a nightmare for her because all she heard was her own voice.

Not that what she actually said matters to the journo's. You know, never let the truth get in the way of a good story and all that!

goudie
27th Nov 2007, 11:02
Shades of the Pablo Mason saga. And the moral is.......................don't bite the hand that feeds you.

rotornut
27th Nov 2007, 18:54
Don't panic! Here's another site that seems to be working:

http://www.welcometowallyworld.com/frontpage/2007/11/27/the-voice-of-the-london-underground.html

Tigs2
27th Nov 2007, 19:25
Rotornut
thanks for the link - Brilliant:ok:

There are two i just love

Residents of London are reminded that there are other places in Britain outside your stinking shithole of a city, and if you removed your heads from your arses for just a couple of minutes, you may realise that the M25 is not the edge of the Earth."

Here we are again, crammed into a sweaty tube carriage. And today's Wednesday - only two more days before you can binge drink yourself into a state of denial about the mediocrity of your life. Oh, for Goodness sake, if you're female, smile at the bloke next to you and make his day. He's probably not had sex for months."

:}:D:D

Why has she been sacked/given a hard time?? The reason her contracts should be taking so long should be because she should rightly put her prices up! Commuting on the tube in London is the pits. I would love to hear stuff like this, it would really brighten up the journey!! Good on you Emma!

How popular does it proove these messages are, when her blog is continually crashing from the masses who are trying to download the MP3's of her voice overs? They are not down loading them so that they can listen to them over and over again saying '''mmmm, i think these are very un-funny and totally inappropriate'. I think she should have sold them as ringtones or 'message' indicators.

bnt
27th Nov 2007, 20:06
"...talking too loud..."
It's incorrect English grammar, true, but it's addressed to an American. Know your audience... :}

rotornut
27th Nov 2007, 20:39
Being Canadian we love hearing her understated detached British style.