PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Toilets

azb
26th Nov 2007, 21:50
There was a thread a while back about Japanese "shower" toilet seats. I've never experienced the delights of these devices but I'm being leant on to get one. The question is: where can I buy one in the UK and which is the best make to get? Any advice from the world-travellers inhabiting this site would be gratefully received.

WALSue
27th Nov 2007, 19:39
Toto are the ones to go for but they don't seem to export them to Uk but do have a factory in Mexico now http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4662086.stm

I did like those loos tho, the 'sound effect' feature was rather useful

Tigs2
27th Nov 2007, 19:59
azb
hope you are well heeled. Yes these toilets are infact toilet heaven, but I think they come at a price, i have not checked the previous link but i am guessing one will set you back anywhere between 1500 and 3000. The ideal place to read the newspaper:ok:, will wash and blow dry your backside, the only thing they do not do as yet is comb the hairs on your a**e:} (just a matter of time for the Japanese!). Still at the price, you use a car every day and pay 25K, so why not use a toilet everyday and feel resplendent in the luxury for a mere 3K (no fuel, road tax, insurance, depreciation!), sounds like a bargain to me!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
27th Nov 2007, 21:41
A thousand quid? That's how much SEAT will cost you for a top-of-the-line TOTO.

btw, I have a Toto ($25 from a garage sale) but not the five grand model.

Have you tried ebay?

Load Toad
28th Nov 2007, 00:26
There is no finer invention than the Japanese shower toilet. I spent a good thirty minutes getting the temperature / water pressure settings just right. But even then I had to go back several times to my hotel room to check the settings were still correct.

Dan Winterland
28th Nov 2007, 00:50
But trying to figure out the functions with only the Japanese instructions can lead to suprises. Sitting down and just pressing buttons is not a good idea. :ooh:

Bushfiva
28th Nov 2007, 00:54
They're wonderful. Mine's got a remote control, though I don't quite understand why since I tend to be in the vicinity of the toilet when I'm using it. Heated seat, warm wash, warm dryer. Male and female ("charm" on the remote) settings. Luvverly. I've got a lot of books in there now. Oh, there's an emergency stop button if you ever set the dryer to "argh it's roasting me goolies" mode. It's an Inax. Toto has the major market share.

It requires a power outlet in the room. These are common in Japanese bathrooms, but uncommon in UK ones, I think.

KaptinZZ
28th Nov 2007, 04:16
I love those Jap toilet seats.
First time I lobbed my a$$ on one in my apartment I felt like a cross between Tom Cruise in Top Gun and Michael Schumaker.
It had armrests, not unlike an arm chair, but they had doors on top that flipped open (a bit like the weapons selector in a fighter) to display a dazzling array of touch sensitive markings; which will I choose? Would I prefer the cannons or the rockets up my butt?
Which to choose was a major problem for quite a while because all names were in Japanese, some even in kanji, (Chinese stick writing) and even the Japs themselves don't do much of a job understanding Kanji, 3000 symbols of which are in daily use. There area total of 6000, some requiring up to 42 brush/pen strokes to complete, and they must be in the correct sequence!!
The Japs have a thing about suffering; they love it, and if there are two ways to do something, they'll always choose the most difficult so they can suffer.
My swisho toilet had a 'front' (for the girls) and 'back' (for both, I think)washer, a jet of warm air to soothe the ring, a variable heater for the seat itself, for winter, and a clock!! And, wait for this, in case you were too lazy to open the doors on the armrests, a REMOTE control just like your TV.
I had a good deal of enjoyment with the remote when I enjoyed the company of female visitors. I'd have it in the lounge room, and when I figured the femme has dropped her duds and the action was about to start, I'd give the remote a workout. Many a young lady was surprised to get a 'front' jet of water, at an appropriate temperature, at an inconvenient time, in the opposite direction to the stream.
Ther Japs have clocks everywhere, and I mean everywhere. In addition to the crapper having one, the fridge had one, the washing machine had one, and even the rice cooker had one.
The front washer which I thought was exclusively for the girls could be quite sensuous and even erotic if the water temp was just right, and you positioned yourself so that it contacted just behind the spuds. Very niiiiiice! Well a fellow pilot friend told me it was very nice. You understand, of course, I didn't try it, just like I read Playboy for the articles. What?? Playboy has pictures of nude women in it?? I never knew that.
Some Jap crappers even have auto seats that rise as you approach, making the assumption that it's a male. If it's a girl, she has to find the correct button to put it back down. I recall an incident in my Tokyo hotel lobby where the seat was out of whack, and went down when I approached (which it should have done as I vacated). I spent some time trying to 'trick' it, hiding in the corner out of range of the electronic eye, and leaping out in front of it, but couldn't win. I had two options, sit down for a leak or pi$$ on the seat.
But, the greatest, and probably only, feature about Jap toilets that is both necessary and a good idea, is the wash basin on top of the cistern. When you flush, a tap runs automatically over the basin, you wash your hands, and the water is held for the next flush. Now that is innovative. Australia is just starting to sell dunnies like that.

The biggest single negative with these thrones is that one tends to spend too much time in there, e.g., reading the paper, and my doctor tells me that is a big factor in the development of haemorrhoids.

DX Wombat
28th Nov 2007, 09:16
This is NOT a new, or even, as far as I am aware, a Japanese invention. To the best of my knowledge the first one of this type of toilet was designed and made for children suffering from the effects of Thalidomide and was installed in the Rehabilitation Unit at Alder Hey Childrens Hospital in Liverpool. That was BEFORE 1969. They may have also been installed in other hospitals such as GOS. :ok:

frostbite
28th Nov 2007, 12:09
Mistakenly activating the 'Automatic Towel Snatcher' can be a bit of a shock for us blokes!

azb
28th Nov 2007, 12:12
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure my budget will stretch to 1500.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
I had thought of ebay but I felt a bit squeamish about buying a used one. Shouldn't be a problem though if public toilets have them in Japan.

Thanks again
azb

strake
28th Nov 2007, 13:23
But trying to figure out the functions with only the Japanese instructions can lead to suprises. Sitting down and just pressing buttons is not a good idea.

...but an even worse idea is trying to figure out the functions while standing up! As my wife found out to her dismay when she used the facilities during a corporate function in Tokyo. Apparently, she pressed the "bidet" button which shot a jet of warm water straight between her eyes.....

As it died away, the water machine-gunned itself down the front of her dress giving a final flurry into the lap area. It was the first and only time I have seen Japanese laughing to tears....

airborne_artist
28th Nov 2007, 14:07
Strake - reminds me of the time I went to the loo before a meeting at a customer I hadn't met before. I pressed the tap to get the water - nothing. Pressed it again - nothing. Pushed it hard - everything...and the curve of the basin focused the jet straight on the groin. Try drying yr trousers with a hot air hand dryer.....

harpy
28th Nov 2007, 16:19
I saw one on show at the NEC last month, selling for about 400+. I can't remember which make. It got a lot of attention. It looks like the toilet revolution has hit the UK.

WALSue
28th Nov 2007, 19:26
http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pC4JS5GZfGpYrfgbh7jo3CUZDA63-U4UOOIHkfWx8eiXOFd9zgthOxQ9nYU8dWlrmhWyzepBb_Fgjust make sure if you get one of those loos you get one of these instruction signs....no, dont ask why I decided to take a photo...

harpy
28th Nov 2007, 22:28
Here's the link to the one at the NEC.
http://www.pdshygiene.com/

azb
30th Nov 2007, 11:13
Thanks for the link, harpy.
Very nice! They've even got a demo on the website. I got the remote control model - don't ask me why.
Now, let me see, how do I fit this thing?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Nov 2007, 13:11
azb - don't worry about used toilets, I have two of them. Oh wait a minute, it wasn't a new house ... ALL my toilets were previously used. Mmmmmmmmm

Howard Hughes
30th Nov 2007, 21:07
Seek (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TOTO-Washlet-SIII-TCF321U-White-Toilet-Seat-JAPAN_W0QQitemZ330193849176QQihZ014QQcategoryZ37637QQrdZ1QQs sPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem#ShippingPayment) and ye shall find!;)

A lot cheaper than a thousand quid too...:ok:

Arm out the window
30th Nov 2007, 21:20
frostbite: "Mistakenly activating the 'Automatic Towel Snatcher' can be a bit of a shock for us blokes!"

Not quite sure about what this means - would make some kind of sense if it was the 'Automatic Snatch Toweller', but p'raps that's getting a bit too rude!

30th Nov 2007, 21:51
Slightly off topic, but who would feel at ease taking a dump in this; (one way glass)
http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/graphics/toilet1_small.jpg
http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/graphics/toilet2_small.jpg

con-pilot
30th Nov 2007, 22:12
Slightly off topic, but who would feel at ease taking a dump in this; (one way glass)

From what I understand it fine until it gets dark outside. Then it is the other way around, you can't see out but eveyone can see in. :eek:

Davaar
30th Nov 2007, 23:19
This is all very well, but what of Chinese toilets? My visits to China have been few, but the toiletry, so to speak, remains a fragrant memory. The version on the train from Guangdong to Hong Kong was a real beezer.

harpy
3rd Dec 2007, 18:09
azb
Well, have you installed it yet? What's your verdict?

kiwi chick
3rd Dec 2007, 18:45
Hmmmm, I just don't know.... I'm not convinced about this "washing and drying" thing. :bored:

Are there any girlies out there who have tried this and like it? Warm water on your jacksie when you're showering - no problem. ;)

But when you're fully clothing sitting on a toilet? Wouldn't it feel like you'd wet yourself?! :suspect:

Mini fan
3rd Dec 2007, 18:55
My parents have one in their house. I think it's brilliant. Their one can also heat the seat, they tend to leave it on medium heat all winter long. It's wonderful to sit down on a warm toilet seat...

Romeo Oscar Golf
3rd Dec 2007, 19:09
Yes they work and once you've tried it, "normal" loos just wont do. My wife discovered hers in the Tokyo Airport Hotel (Hilton) and she just had to have one back at home. After much soul searching I sourced ours thro' an on-line contact (it happened to be in Holland) and a Google for bidet toilets will through up several, but mostly in the USA. I found two UK contacts. Biggest problem is installation. In UK 220 v AC in the bathroom is not approved (without much difficulty) so getting an electrician is a problem. Secondly 'cos they're as rare as rocking horse manure in UK plumbers are scared or them, so you may have to fit it yourself. Cost?... I paid 375 Euros (mine is all singing and dancing remote etc) the UK sourced cost about 500 the 110v AC USA ones cost twixt $250 and $1000.
Go for it .... sh*tty experiences will become memorable.:O

The SSK
3rd Dec 2007, 20:07
Is there a model that helps you with your sudoku while you are ... engrossed?

Howard Hughes
3rd Dec 2007, 20:54
It's wonderful to sit down on a warm toilet seat...
No it ain't!

Makes you wonder who was there before you...ewww:eek:

kiwi chick
3rd Dec 2007, 21:20
Oh, my sentiments EXACTLY!!!!!

There is nothing worse than sitting on a warm toilet seat! NOTHING!!

eticket
3rd Dec 2007, 21:30
At school one of the duties of 'junior fags' was to warm up the loo seats first thing in the morning.;)

Davaar
3rd Dec 2007, 22:49
On the other ... well, hand ... one delight of PPRuNe lies in the occasional bon mot and happy word usage one encounters here; and had it not been for PPRuNe and cold toilet seats one (this one, anyway) would never have met:

"He kissed her gently, one cheek at a time, like a lady's bottom on a cold toilet seat".

The author I cannot remember. Too bad. He deserves better than oblivion.

bugg smasher
3rd Dec 2007, 23:35
"He kissed her gently, one cheek at a time, like a lady's bottom on a cold toilet seat".

Turning the other cheek, in other words, is like falling into sh!t and coming out smelling like roses?

strake
4th Dec 2007, 08:10
The warm toilet seat is bad, but what's really horrible (ugh) is the hot water that's flushed into the bowl as you sit down. Makes it all humid and steamy..and that's before operations have commenced!

In my view, all a chap needs is a good old fashioned Ideal Standard Close Coupled system, a copy of the Telegraph and ten minutes peace and quiet.

You can keep your Kawasaki Khasi thank you very much!

azb
4th Dec 2007, 18:53
"Well, have you installed it yet? What's your verdict?"

Tomorrow is the big day.:)

birdlady
4th Dec 2007, 21:17
Fancy loos....whats that :confused::confused:Over here in the gulag they dont even have loos.....just a hole in the ground in most places which by the way are normally unisex . :\:\

much fun is had when one is in the loo in a bar after a few glasses of wine and no handrail :\:\

azb
7th Dec 2007, 11:14
It's installed and it works as advertised. Brilliant! This is one giant leap for mankind.:)

G-CPTN
7th Dec 2007, 12:27
This is one giant leap for mankind.One hopes not . . .

harpy
20th Dec 2007, 12:07
azb
A plumber friend tells me these things are not approved for fitting in the UK. They don't comply with regulations regarding back flow. If the mains water pressure fails, water from the bidet can syphon back into the water main and contaminate it. Still, at least your bottom will be clean even if your neighbour's drinking water is not.

azb
26th Dec 2007, 19:51
A plumber friend tells me these things are not approved for fitting in the UK. They don't comply with regulations regarding back flow. If the mains water pressure fails, water from the bidet can syphon back into the water main and contaminate it. Still, at least your bottom will be clean even if your neighbour's drinking water is not.

Harpy, I'm pleased to be able to tell you that the model I bought does not give that trouble. It is approved by the water regulator for fitting to the water main in the UK. I'm told it's the only one that is approved. My neighbour has nothing to worry about.

Squeakily yours

azb