PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Life of an Indian Pilot

RedLiner
26th Nov 2007, 20:00
With the current acute pilot shortage sweeping through the subcontinent, I'd like to know what the basic quality of life is like for an Indian (Not Expat) Pilot flying on domestic routes.

1. How many days off do you get per month? I had heard something like 6 on with 1 off. Can such a sched. be true? :uhoh:

2. How many legs, on average, would you fly per day?

3. Do you have any control over your montly sched. If so, how much advance notice are you given?

4. Can you swap, trade, drop trips?

5. How easy to get that "special day" off. Is it a struggle or is it fairly easy?

I know that all the answers will vary based on many variables -- seniority, company, rank, etc. etc. So Please include these in your replies.

-RL.

scorpilot
29th Nov 2007, 08:23
I would advise you to have a look at the new fdtl at the dgca website...its quite pro pilots and the rest periods and other rules are clearly defined now...less room for individual interpretation now!!

The flying could vary from a single landing to a max of 6 landings( extremely rare ) per day, yes we do log close to 8hrs in a day once or twice a month. Even though most airlines are striving hard to come out with a weekly/monthly roster the shortage coupled with training makes it tough on them but you have a fairly good idea as to what to expect.If you give rostering enough advance notice you can manage your offs too, its not that difficult.

Like you said it varies for P1's P2's, seniority etc but its not as cruel and demanding as some ppl make it out to be, I have managed to party on new year's eve for the last 4 years!