PDA

View Full Version : Nuvi in Australia

fernytickles
26th Nov 2007, 16:51
My best friend and her family from home (Scotland) are emigrating at the end of the year. They are planning to set up home in the Coffs Harbour area and I was thinking a Garmin Nuvi would be an eminently useful Christmas pressie for them.

Have looked online, am on hold (for 30 mins :uhoh:) with Garmin support at the moment, and am struggling to find any useful info on how to buy a nuvi with an Australian database already installed. Any helpful suggestions?

Or does anyone know of trustworthy nuvi distributors in Australia?

Thank you.

ps - tried posting this in D & G but got nil response....

tony draper
26th Nov 2007, 17:03
What in the name of all that's holy is a Garmin Nuvi??:confused::confused::rolleyes:

B Sousa
26th Nov 2007, 17:04
Get one in the states, then get the chip for updating the map anywhere in the world. Best one for that is the NUVI 350. www.pricegrabber.com
It can be done with some planning. I have the older 2720 in my truck. Its a dinosaur in comparison to the NUVI, which I gave to the wife.

www.garmin.com

fernytickles
26th Nov 2007, 17:11
Mr Draper - its fantastic :) Best thing since bacon butties.

B Sousa - thanks for that. Just got thru' to Garmin finally. To go that way would cost $299 for the SD card to install the Australian database :eek: over and above the purchase cost for the nuvi.

B Sousa
26th Nov 2007, 17:19
You can always look for a deal. Try the website I sent you or if your trust them www.ebay.com (buyer Beware). Many way to skin a cat..........
Good luck. Im getting a chip for South Africa.

tony draper
26th Nov 2007, 17:22
Ah! one suspects its some new electric apparatus for those horseless carriages,small wonder one knows nought of them.
A mere fad,they'll never replace the horse you know.
:rolleyes:

B Sousa
26th Nov 2007, 17:25
Good one Tony. By the way and off subject, your avatar does not come through, unless that IS your avatar.

tinpis
26th Nov 2007, 21:27
Why a GPS? They got roads in Coffs yer know.
A surfboard would be handier.

gupta
26th Nov 2007, 22:13
Ferny & Sousa
I just bought a Nuvi 660 on EBay ($A~690) - no hassles, very happy with it. Came with latest map database, but you do need to register with Garmin and load the Web updater.

tony draper
26th Nov 2007, 22:24
I wudda thought the Pilot will know the way to Australia,stands to reason he wouldn't have got the job otherwise.
:uhoh:

B Sousa
26th Nov 2007, 23:38
but you do need to register with Garmin and load the Web updater.
You should, only for warranty and update information. Garmin does a very good job of customer support.

R4+Z
27th Nov 2007, 01:16
Be careful buying on the internet as I believe a couple of containers of these were stolen and Garmin won't have anything to do with the serial number range of them. A friend has a 250 which was bought in Singapore but it is expensive to get the maps. There are a number of other options on Ebay, I recently purchased one with a 7" screen. Don't know how legit the software and maps are as I have since learned that you can download cracked versions from the internet if you know where to look but it works great and only cost $250 including postage. I should add though that it is purely an in car unit as the battery is only for standby (lasts about 3 mins) even though it was advertised as 6 hour operation. :mad::mad::mad:

fernytickles
27th Nov 2007, 03:29
Tinpis - its for finding their ways around them thar roads. Coming from Scotland the difference with the signage an' stuff will make it quite hard... Are you familiar with Coffs? I tried looking up aviatioring, but there didn't seem to be a huge amount going on.

Ovation
27th Nov 2007, 09:10
I bought a NUVI 660 from a store in Sydney and was pleased with the service I got. They added the traffic/speedcam/special zones database free of charge.

Would deal with them again without hesitation.

http://www.everythinggps.com.au/ (http://www.everythinggps.com.au/incar.html)

ZFT
27th Nov 2007, 10:32
I use a NUVI 610 within SE Asia. Whilst only Malaysia & Singapore are officially supported, there are free Thailand and other databases available on the net.

Providing you have Mapsource you can relatively easily build a usable database from these downloads.

From my very limited experience of using it within Europe with Garminís albeit expensive official database, it has worked extremely well within the UK & Europe.

As others have stated, their Customer Support is very good.

Crosshair
27th Nov 2007, 19:15
Which aviation GPS is best for driving? Does anyone use their Garmin 296 or other in the car as well as in the light aeroplane?