PDA

View Full Version : Lap top graphics card

TimS
26th Nov 2007, 11:21
Well I've got the choice of new machine down to 2.

Fairly minor differences which I am happy to evaluate, with one exception:

One has ATI Radeon X2300 graphic card with 831MB graphics memory

The other Intel GMA X3100 Grahics Media accelerator card with 358 MB grahics memory

I am mainly an excel and word man but might play the odd DVD on the machine - would I tell the difference ? If so which way ?

Thanks ands brgds, TimS

Jhieminga
26th Nov 2007, 12:53
Just my two cents, but if it is just for Office use and the odd DVD, then go for the lower specs. DVD playback already worked fine on a 32 Mb graphics card or whatever was the norm 5 years ago so the extra 800 Mb won't make much difference.

airborne_artist
26th Nov 2007, 13:49
I'd be surprised if a laptop graphics card had >800 mb memory of its own.

DVD playback will be fine with either card. A fast graphics processor and lots of graphics ram are really only needed for 3D games.

EI-WAT
26th Nov 2007, 14:51
I'd be surprised if a laptop graphics card had >800 mb memory of its own.

the card itself would have something like 128\256 mb on board memory and the rest would used shared memory eg the computer ram

spannersatcx
26th Nov 2007, 16:01
The ATI Mobility Radeon™ X2300 uses ATI HyperMemory™ memory management technology for enhanced graphics performance with visually demanding applications and texture-rich 3D games. ATI HyperMemory™ expands dedicated graphics memory with system memory on demand, aided by the combination of a new memory controller, wide bandwidth PCI Express, and today’s faster system RAM.
from here (http://ati.amd.com/products/MobilityRadeonx2300/index.html)

Bushfiva
27th Nov 2007, 01:23
The ATI X2300 is just a slightly optimised X1300. The Intel kit is an integrated chipset, sitting on the motherboard. The Intel supports DirectX 10, the ATI supports DirectX 9. If you're not doing gaming, either product is fine. Otherwise, the ATI is the better gaming product. But both are quite low-end. The Intel will use up to 384MB of system memory. You don't say what notebook, so I don't know what X2300 implementation you have, but the chipset supports dedicated video memory plus accessing system memory when necessary. For Office and DVDs, either will work fine.

Spanners, the blurb you posted simply says "we're going to take all your system memory just like the Intel chipset."

TimS
28th Nov 2007, 05:33
Thank you for the input gents

A new Sony CR29XN/B is hopefully winging its way to me at this very moment (complete with Intel GMA X3100 Grahics Media accelerator card with 358 MB grahics memory)

The other option was the Sony CR21SR (and I think I might have been embarrased by the 'blazing red' case !)

Bushfiva
28th Nov 2007, 05:49
Media accelerator card with 358 MB grahics memory

Enjoy your new toy. Pardon me for being pedantic for a moment, but it has ZERO graphics memory. It will borrow up to 358MB of your computer's system memory, which will be unavailable to applications.

TimS
28th Nov 2007, 06:39
Well I learn something every day ! :}