PDA

View Full Version : Q about General Flying Services & Royal Victorian Aero Club

tropaco
26th Nov 2007, 07:18
Hi There
Does anybody have any information or direct experience of General Flying Services, (the Moorabbin operation) or the Royal Victorian Aero Club? I am interested in doing an Instructor rating with one of the schools and just want to get a heads up about either one of the schools and the likely propects for job placement as an instructor on completion of the rating.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.....
.....Thanks in advance!
:ok:

salamundi
3rd Dec 2007, 04:30
I was a student and instructed for both so I hope that I provide the right info.
RVAC is great if you are paying as you go and want the family social club atmosphere. They are a very friendly and social club and you get a lot more one on one time between instructor/student.

GFS is hard core professional. Book into a course, pay the money upront and work your backside off. they ususually offer jobs to their superstars and are very well connected. Aircraft at GFS cost more but are far better.

Hope this helps

pilotshorvath
3rd Dec 2007, 05:20
I learnt to fly through GFS, went through Swinburne, and did my instuctor rating there (2000).

I would agree with salamundi that GFS is hard-core professional, which I think is a good thing if flying is going to be your career. As he mentioned, they are more pricey than others but you do get what you pay for. I have no regrets about choosing them. Not sure about the employment opportunities now, but they also second pilots to RMIT at point cook if required.

But in todays market, once you have a licence, I don't think it will take long to get onto something bigger, regardless of where you received your training. :ok:

Cheers.